BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Desert Hawks... Rescue Services in El Rosario... Emergency, Contact and Help Info
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 03:23 PM
Desert Hawks... Rescue Services in El Rosario... Emergency, Contact and Help Info

Desert Hawks... Non Profit rescue group in El Rosario:

Emergencies: (616) 103-0262
Local Police Station: (616) 165-8858
BajaCactus: (616) 165-8850 / From the US: (1-619) 694-1082
Cruz Roja San Quintín: (616) 165-3637

Contact info:
Antonio Muñoz
info*at*deserthawksrescue.com
Desert Hawks Facebook Page

Donations, in any form and/or quantity, will be much appreciated, rest assure they will help us maintain our services active in this area. We can received them through our non profit organizations: in th US "Commitment, Inc", in Mexico "Fundación Commitment International, A.C.", we can provide tax deductible receipts in both countries.

For cash donations via PayPal: Help Desert Hawks

To send checks in the US:

Commitment, Inc
P.O. Box 178309
San Diego, CA 92177

In both cases, if requested, a letter showing your tax deductible donations will be sent out.

For item donations we have a physical US address, please U2U or e-mail us in order to coordinate with you: info*at*halconesdeldesierto.org

Thank you so much for your help and support... Together we can save lives!!!

Antonio Muñoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by BajaCactus]

[Edited on 2-19-2014 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 03:29 PM

Thank you Antonio! You have ALWAYS put the needs of others into the top priority of you actions... I have known you for 10 years, and I am always amazed by what you do for your community and for Baja travelers!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 03:42 PM

How much does Desert Hawks charge?

Some have asked how much we charge for our services... the answer is "cero".

Whenever there is an emergency, our group of volunteers get activated and Desert Hawks goes to rescue anyone in need... we do not stop for lack of money, everyone's life is priceless and there should be no price in helping anyone in distress. Once we take the injured safely to the hospital we request a donation in order to be able to keep going, however we usually receive very little or nothing at all. Out of the 69 emergencies we had last year, we only received around $ 800 Dlls.

You must ask yourselves: then how do we support our rescue services?... Well, we have not stopped mainly because BajaCactus (the business) has been continuously supplying us with fuel. Medical supplies have been gathered from local health centers and finally, our volunteers charge nothing for their time.

We have only been active for 10 months, with two ambulances and very little equipment and/or materials we have managed to assist in 73 emergencies (Jan 8th, 2014) and saved and/or rescued 136 people. We are still looking for a sustainable way for permanently maintaining this so needed emergency services... and I am sure we will find them.

Antonio Muñoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-8-2014 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 05:32 PM

I have a few items on my "to do" list here, and in the near future will post the Desert Hawks emergency # to the footer at the bottom of each forum page - so that it's easier to find when needed.

Later in 2014, I expect to create some other information pages, and will keep an emergency page with information for as many parts of the peninsula as I can get information for - including Desert Hawks.

In speaking with Antonio this past weekend, some of the things I learned were:

- Over 80% (perhaps it was much higher?) of the calls they go on are in the desert south of El Rosario.

- Average cost for each "call" has (thus far) been around US$100. Diesel's expensive, and often times the stiff neck braces they use go with the patient and never come back.

- He's still estimating what it'll take to keep this non-profit entity going... but a rough estimate based upon the past 10 months is that it may be somewhere from $1500-2000/month (US $). Again, based upon the current average expenses they have with the ambulances, and equipment.

- They could use a source of neck braces from a USA-based organization that would donate once-used neck braces to them (as they won't be used a second time in the USA).

- There are some back braces that are in the same category - but don't go with the patients quite as often.

I also mis-spoke about where the first and second ambulances came from. It was my misunderstanding from a brief first conversation. After further discussion...

- The first ambulance was donated from the USA. It has over 500,000 miles on it, and is currently getting serviced in the shop because of an oil leak.

- The second ambulance (191k miles) was donated by the state of Baja California based upon how the operation was being run - this, even though the local government in El Rosario is an opposition party to the one running the state. That says a lot. Furthermore, and addressing an earlier question.... the ambulance donated by the state was purchased by the state from the people previously operating an ambulance in El Rosario. Apparently it was sold to the state, and then (later on) the state donated the ambulance to the Desert Hawks operation back in El Rosario.

I took some photos of the second ambulance that was parked at the Baja Cactus Pemex station from when we were there this past weekend, and will get them posted when I can. Still getting caught up on other things after being gone. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

:)

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 06:08 PM

What great work. How did someone in El Rosario come by the ambulance that was sold to the state?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
How did someone in El Rosario come by the ambulance that was sold to the state?

Apparently when you're trying to put together a non-profit ambulance service to benefit the community, you seek out assistance from those in a position to perhaps support your efforts?

:?:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
How did someone in El Rosario come by the ambulance that was sold to the state?

Apparently when you're trying to put together a non-profit ambulance service to benefit the community, you seek out assistance from those in a position to perhaps support your efforts?

:?:

I did not state that right.... The ambulance that Desert Hawks got was originally from El Rosario...sold to the State. How did it get there (to El Rosario) in the first place and what happened to that ambulance service.

I am glad the State gave it back...quiet a feat by Antonio since the State purchased it from the same town that it has now donated it back to.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 07:19 PM

rts551... there was a private ambulance in town run by Ed Lusk, owner of Baja's Best Restaurant in town and a friend of him, Dr. Chrtistian. They run their business for a year or so but finally stopped around three years ago. I do not know where they got their ambulance at the beginning, but at the end they sold it to the State Government.

Then, last year, after seeing what we were doing here and after some efforts from our part, the State Government donated that ambulance to Desert Hawks. It was the second ambulance which gave us the opportunity to cover much better this region.

Antonio M.

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 07:29 PM

Thank you Antonio. I will be putting those phone numbers in my phone in case of emergency and will make a donation soon. That stretch of highway is remote. Thanks for making a difference!!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 07:57 PM

One thing I forgot to mention... if you contact us at Desert Hawks, we are able to activate any ambulance and/or rescue services all the way from Camalu to El Rosario.

Antonio M.

BajaCactus
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 08:04 PM

Thank you Antonio. It had take a lot to bring it back to El Rosario.

You used to have a PAYPAL account. Do you still have it and can it be used for donations. I am assuming I can also leave an envelope at the front desk of the Cactus.

Ralph
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 08:06 PM
Sout of El Rosario...

South of El Rosario there is a communication problem. A few kilometers south of town there is no more cellular coverage. Also, besides Cataviña there are very few settlements until Jesús María, most of you already knows this.

So, what to do in those areas in case of an emergency?... For now the only thing to do is wait for someone to relay a message to Cataviña or Punta Prieta. If they get the distress call they will immediately contact Desert Hawks (they have our numbers), and we will immediately activate our volunteers and send help.

The problem is the communication infraestructure in over 250km, and for now, that is a little beyond our capabilities to solve. Any ideas are welcome.

Antonio M.

BajaCactus
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 08:10 PM

Most of the ranches use a 2-meter radio don't they? I believe must long haul trucks in Mexico now use them as well. There must be one in El Rosario that can relay messages.
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 08:14 PM

You beat me to it Ralph

Wait for the next big rig and get him/her to radio ahead

sold out and got out !!!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 08:16 PM

Here is the PayPal link: Help Desert Hawks ... Also any donation left at BajaCactus will reach Desert Haws... Thank you!!!

The local police station has a 2 meter radio, they will not give away their frequency of course. Also there are two local companies that use 2 meter radios but they are private and of course they will not share their frequency.

Antonio M.

BajaCactus
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
The problem is the communication infraestructure in over 250km, and for now, that is a little beyond our capabilities to solve. Any ideas are welcome.
Antonio M.

what if i/we/they contribute a 2 meter handheld to be a base station. assign a frequency for emergency contact (the base can scan many known (to the base) frequencies) and dispatch as needed.

Antonio, for all you did for our friend Elsa-La Mijita, i'd be willing to put together a donation in her name. maybe others here would help too. We Miss You Elsa!!! her family has done well, considering....
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35356

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38534#pid4127...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=59912#pid7210...

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by woody with a view]

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 09:59 PM

Woody, that is a great idea and a generous offer on your part. I have been thinking on the same thing for a while, specially when our ambulances go south and become "unconnected" from the world until they come back to El Rosario.

I am one step ahead of you, two months ago I made a personal effort and donated to the Desert Hawks two handheld radios and two radios for the ambulances, all VHF 2 meter radios. Now the problem we have is what frequency to use when going south.

In order to the radios to be usefull south of El Rosario, you need repeater towers and an authorized frequency. There is a company in San Quintín that gives this service with a number of these repeater towers all the way down to Punta Prieta, but I have not been able to negotiate with them, mainly because our lack of an stable economic base and I would not like to sign up for a compromise we would not be able to comply with.

In time, I believe we can get to an agreement with them, something we can afford to pay continusly.

Antonio M.

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 11:57 PM

Is there not a 'Call Channel' or frequency on 2 meter where people call for others, then take it off that channel to continue the conversation (common on CB and Marine VHF)? Or, an emergency channel/ frequency like CB channel 9?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 12:10 AM

Bravo Antonio! What you are doing and have done in the past is incredible. I would like to try to help spread the word on your organization. I think one of the best possible ways to make people aware would be through promotion of your website and/or Facebook site. Do you have either of these?

Also, have you contact Celia Diaz at http://www.binationalemergency.org? Seems like she would be a good contact and I have heard she has helped other organizations in Mexico gather donations.

Ted

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 12:18 PM

Well for drill when I approached El Rosario from the south, my TelCel cellular had no signal whatsoever until the bus had crossed the bridge and proceeded west up the arroyo for about two and a half miles. The signal strenth went from zero to four bars in an instant.

I would be curious to find out how "well" the rural telephone service "actually" works from the hotel in Cataviña. In theory it should work well, in reality a real person needs to stop there and actually find out by inquiry. I know the hotel USED TO shut down the generators several hours each day, but I have no idea if this would affect their rural telephone service. It would be nice to actually TRY the ambulance number from the hotel to see if it actually connects. What a waste it would be to rely on a telephone that does not work reliably.

So many questions, so little experience...sigh

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.