BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Best off road hand held gps?
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 01:31 PM
Best off road hand held gps?

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread but I'm lazy today and I'm looking to buy one asap. Let your opinions fly.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 01:39 PM

I always liked my Garmin eTrex (easy to use) and eTrex Legend (built in loadable maps)... but they are a dozen years old, so check what is out now.

Fun toys and are really great if you go hiking or off the map in your 4x4!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 01:41 PM

Bob, Garmin is very well respected in the gps community. I've used my model 76 for about 5 years now with great success...both on land and water. Cost me about $150 if memory serves me. Good luck.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 01:51 PM

Garmin 76 or 60csx. I have the 60 for exploring and a Nuvi in the car.

Better Baja maps for the handheld. look at all the handhelds and decide on features. I like the routing and tracking capabilities of the one I got.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 02:50 PM

Here's another thread:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70239#pid8576...

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 04:10 PM

A really cool thing about Garmin handhelds is that you can install BirdsEye high resolution satellite imagery. From the demo it looks like it's from Google Earth but you don't need a cell site to get it like an ipod would.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 04:37 PM

My personal GPS in Baja is the Garmin 78SC, which I use as an off-road GPS as well as a marine GPS and chart plotter.

But my vehicle GPS is also a Garming, the 2555LMT, which now has a 16 gig memory card and I downloaded all Mexico roads on it. It's really cool...it works on it's own battery, or plug it in to the vehicle's cig. lighter plug. (My thanks to Bajaguy, Terry, for the tip and the link to buy it at a DEAL!)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 04:47 PM

I put the Mexico City Streets (Garmin map) on my Nuvi and am disappointed in its coverage of Baja.

I have the Topo map (which I moved over to the Nuvi) on my handheld and although outdated I like it.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 05:32 PM

Not sure what qualifies as "handheld". I've used a 60csx for several years on my moto. This past trip I stepped it up to a Montana 600 which is astounding by comparison. A good GPS is a very valuable tool to be sure.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 05:37 PM

I use a Garmin 60CSx as has been mentioned by others. The Garmin Montana is gaining popularity (has a camera in it I just learned).

Garmin maps suck for Mexico/Baja.

THE map for Baja and Mainland Mexico is the E32 Cartographia map....download for about $100 can be updated....

http://www.cartografiagps.com/

Don't believe everything you think....
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 08:43 PM

Any mapping type Garmin will do, the bigger the screen, the more $$$ and a big screen works better with Sat maps. The Montana if you can afford it. Get great free US topo maps for handheld Garmin's at www.gpsfiledepot.com

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Any mapping type Garmin will do, the bigger the screen, the more $$$ and a big screen works better with Sat maps. The Montana if you can afford it. Get great free US topo maps for handheld Garmin's at www.gpsfiledepot.com

you just like the bigger screen to get a better look at the Wives in Waiting photos…right:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 12:04 AM

Best off road hand held gps?
Depends on what off road equipment you're using. 4 wheel or dirt bike?
If you're riding a dirt bike and want to use a 12 volt power source, then pick one that has a 4 pin power input. The USB type connector type will eventually break off the circuit board due to bike vibration. A 4 wheel truck doesn't transmit the kind of vibration that a bike does. (Most guys like to have their unit plugged into 12 volt power cuz the handheld gps backlight stays on)
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 06:40 PM

Desert Bull, You are soooo lucky I'm not your son-in-law, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Neal - a man you can trust?

My motto:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 05:39 AM

I, too, own an old 60csx and a newer 3790 LMT.

The 3790 is fine for highway stuff in the US and Mexico. I'm on the mainland. Just very disappointed that it doesnt store "tracks" in a useable manner. You cant start a track and name it. Big disadvantage when going on dirt roads that arent on the map. You cant really save the track you just went on. But for street use, it's great.

I think about upgrading the 60csx.......but then I read the reviews on Amazon on newer units from Garmin and it always stops me. Their software just always seems to be going backwards; never intuitive, buggy firmware, inaccurate ocean charts, and their handheld "marine" units have many reports of moisture damage from simple splashes. Their website has always been unpleasant to navigate.

I wonder what's going on with Magellan's these days. I remember a time in the early days of land GPS's when I wondered how long Magellan would last in the face of Garmin's onslaught. I hope Magellan is still out there because Garmin continues to develop units that are going backwards.

Read some of the DETAILED reviews on the Montana. It's incredible that they can charge 600 bucks for software that poor.

I am still waiting to upgrade my 60csx. Really, my only complaint is that the screen is just too small for detailed topos. I've never had maps with contour intervals less that 200 feet. Not very useful when hiking. Do more detailed maps exist for the US? Please dont tell me it's a Garmin map...........:no:
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 07:18 AM

Hook, www.gpsfiledepot.com has 24k topos state maps FREE for Garmins. Made by real people. 60's will never die!
Neal

My motto:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
60's will never die!
Neal

Thanks for the link, Neil.

And I'm anxiously awaiting an appropriate pic from willardguy for the above quote.........maybe something from San Francisco? :lol:
sdraul

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 07:25 AM

I have a 60csx also...when I was looking at the them the sales person at REI said she like the Magellan better because they use National Geographic topo maps. She said they were a better map...
sdraul

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 07:28 AM

I should also add I went with the 60csx because my friend said it was the same unit that his son used in the Army to site the big guns
sdraul

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 02:31 PM

GPS file of Baja:

http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/index.htm

All ready posted!!!

[Edited on 3-27-2014 by sdraul]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.