Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9
Author: Subject: And we are in La Paz! May 2014
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 08:13 AM

:lol:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 09:02 PM

And here is Rex waiting for his margarita with mexican dad Les

And after the margaritas arrived:

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 09:06 PM

Today, we met the owner of Tailhunter's wife. jill. She was very informative and now we have a good list od restaurants to go to...Italian, Greek and more!

The music in the background was Hawaiian and it was really good.

Nice start to a Mexican Les commemoration!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 10:23 AM

We took a walk this morning and along the malecon, we saw this gorgeous husky

And a PEAc-ck doing a full on mating dance for a hen .... we did not see another peac-ck in the yard. Hopefully you can make out the bird, it is in the middle, slightly towards the left.

And as we were walking back on Madero Street, we saw the Casa de Cultura where they have events going on all the time. Huge building but the inside courtyard to the right is really nice

Come visit La Bocana

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 11:11 AM

It's a bit late, hopefully you can still head down to

Organic Tianguis del Palmar as always, Saturdays from 9 to 12, come and join us.

Located next to Marina del Palmar on 5 de febrero and Rangel, next to the water

What we will have

Fresh produce
fresh eggs
hummus
tahini
cakes
gluten free cakes
grilled German sausages
ham
jellies
jams
salsas
coconut oil
sesame seed oil
balsamic vinager
honey
authentic vanilla
Pan D´les
sesame seed and almond milk
art crafts
pottery
jewelry
balsamic vinegar
tequila and so many others

Ibarra´s Pottery
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 11:14 AM

PRÓXIMO INICIO 17 de Mayo
CURSO INTERMEDIO DE FOTOGRAFÍA

Correo electrónico: cursos.fotografia.bcs@gmail.com
Duración: 25 horas
Fecha: 17, 24 y 31 de Mayo, 7 y 14 de Junio
Horario: 9:00 a 14:00 horas
Costo: 1200 pesos
Lugar: CECATI 39. Av. Valentín Gómez Farias y Calz. Colosio. Col. Roca Fosfórica
Imparte: Dra. Norma Estrada Muñoz y Fotógrafa Elizabeth Moreno Damm
Tels: 12 28192 y 12 20560 Teléfono celular: 044 6121616918

Requisitos. Conocer el funcionamiento y manejo de la cámara, óptica, diafragmas, velocidad de obturación, profundidad de campo, distancia focal. Tener cámara réflex y computadora personal.

• Grupo al que va dirigido

Este curso está orientado a personas mayores de 15 años iniciadas en la fotografía y que quieran seguir profundizando en conocimientos técnicos, habilidades y desarrollo estético de la imagen. Destinado a personas que trabajen en medios impresos o audiovisuales, estudiantes o graduados de periodismo o publicidad o afines, o personas interesadas en reforzar sus conocimientos en fotografía. Se requiere un buen manejo de cámara para poder evolucionar en un plano más amplio, que profundizará en la fotografía digital, retoque digital, impresión desde salidas digitales, entre otras, teniendo siempre en cuenta la creatividad. Este curso propone dotar al alumno de la formación necesaria para desarrollar su capacidad creativa y proporcionarle un medio de expresión personal.

• Objetivos

Se pretende que el alumno aplique los conocimientos fotográficos de forma creativa y cuente historias con su cámara, además de adquirir el conocimiento necesario en imágenes digitales. Se asesorará al alumno a través de su evolución durante el curso y de su proyecto final, de libre elección, que le servirá para desarrollar un conjunto de conocimientos y destrezas que le permita obtener fotografías con un alto nivel de calidad.

• Metodología del trabajo

El curso se compone de una parte teórica y otra práctica en la que se hace hincapié primero en cada elemento por separado, antes de lograr con éxito la combinación de técnicas hasta culminar en una imagen final. El curso se apoya en exposiciones orales del profesor y cuestionamientos a los alumnos de los procesos aprendidos, procurando su participación activa. El curso se aborda con la sencillez y claridad suficientes para que el alumno pueda captar y comprender temas complejos apoyados en una serie de prácticas de gran valor didáctico y creativo que le permitan durante el curso elegir y desarrollar un mini-proyecto fotográfico final.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 01:56 PM

Gnukid ... Will you be there next Saturday??? Just seeing this now and it is waaay past noon.

Here is what we ate today at Tony's Restaurant on the malecon and it was GOOD!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 01:58 PM

Actually, I would love some hummus .....do you sell anywhere else or can we get together for a margarita or beer at Tony's?

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 08:11 PM

Saturday night in La Paz

This afternoon, I read this report about Las Brisas to Les and he says: i know where it is, let's go there tonight.

The review I read:

about 7 years ago had a bad experience at las brisas. this is the place right on the malacon about 2 blocks south of breesemart. never went back even though it just 3 blocks from our casa. last night after finding NIM closed we decided to try again. about 6 months ago they remodeled and added a beautiful outdoor dining area overlooking the bay.

it was fabulous. we got there at 7pm and left around 8:30. we were the only ones there. the menu is completely redone and in english. i had the bone in NY steak and my wife had the grilled shrimp. just perfect. cooked just right. best frijoles i ever had. the entire menu looked great. wide range from steaks, kidney, cantonese rice, fish, lobster, fondue, huge salad, hamburger, ceviche, seafood c-cktails etc and on the kids menu 3 types of pizza. our server, santiago had worked there 25 years and the other guy just 2 yrs. both spoke good english. the wine was excellent and a good pour. vanilla ice cream was super. they even bought us a drink on the house. don't get that too often. plenty of parking on the side street and the view is best in town. just the right height to enjoy people watching, traffic and a beautiful sunset over the magote.

very enjoyable evening and dining experience and will definitely be going back to sample more of the menu.
From the La Paz Gringo group

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, we went for our margarita/ beer drink. The restaurant was indeed empty, there were two very friendly waiters and the menus are in English. While we were there, 4 Germans came i. And looked like they enjoyed their meal.

The amazing view:

The menu. Side 1

The menu side 2

The totopos

And 2 people who are just suffering through this wonderful vacation!

[Edited on 4-27-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 10:00 AM

Sunday ... The Cathedral and Mass

This morning I went to the Cathdral which is only about 6 blocks down the street. It is very bleak on the outside being that it is all concrete

But the interior is lovely

The front altar

The hours

More inside shots - the inside is gorgeous without being ostantacious

Mass at 7 am was very beautiful, they had a singer who led in all the songs and she was good. I prayed for all our souls! You are good to go for the week! (((:

A couple more shots ... The stations of the cross are in English?? Why?? Donated by whom?

[Edited on 4-27-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 10:28 AM

Breakfast of Champions

So, after building up an apetite after praying so hard, Les picked me up and off we went to the Malecon to search for a waterside restaurant and Kiwi is what we found

The view to the left

The view in front

The view to the right

The restaurant

The Menu

And the food which although really delicious was stone cold. Bizarre since it was early and the restaurant was nearly empty. We let the waiter know both verbally and monetarily. ))):

Mushroom omelet for him

Cottage cheese crepes for her

And Rex was welcomed, Whale-ista

And a last look of my favorite view

Come visit La Bocana

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 10:36 AM

Hmmm.....no mention of the saturday nite parade of senorita's on the malecon? now that should have have put a big ol' smile on Les!:lol:
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 11:01 AM

Kiwi's looks like our kind of place (pets OK/on the water)! But cold comida is not good.

Did you try returning the cold food for a warm-up?

Question: (since I enjoy catching up on reading over breakfast- print or online.)
- Are there any English bookstores, or hotels selling english language newspapers that you've found?
- What's wi-fi access like at these restaurants?

thanks for making me hungry!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 01:42 PM

Les just said that the senioritas come out past his bedtime.

Didnt send the food back, I actually like cold food but Les hates it ....and I am not sure why he didnt send it right back where it came from.

There is a bookstore called Allende and I plan on going there manana. There is also a club where boaters share loads of books and videos. I left 30 or more books there and will do the same the next time we come. I've just got too many. Kindles are also good, plenty of free books.

As for papers, the gringo gazette is all over the place, free.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 09:14 PM

What a day ... First off we met bajanomader Gene and his lovely wife for linch at Laureles

The welcoming committee

Meet with Gene and wife to talk about life and the college teens, Gene is helping out Cristian:

The. We returned home, took a siesta and planned a meet with Barbara, who runs a non- profit here in La Paz called Care for the Kids. After living here for 13 years, she can teach me a lot! She and I will do some work together this week and next. I also hope she joins nomads:

From Michoacana, Les and I went driving towards Pichilingue and saw lots of nice beaches

And then we decided to visit Costa Brava's famed restaurants and ended up at this Italian place that was empty, probably since it was quite early still:

This menu is one of the funniest I have ever seen !

Their prices are reasonable and the location exquisite. Not too shabby margaritas either .....and so another fantastic day ended.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 01:20 PM

Today's Adventure: Allende Books in La Paz

I have decided to join the bookclub and next week's meeting is on Tuesday.....so it was either kindle it or have the real deal in hand. I love reading, and while I understand that kindle is probably the future, I love holding a book in my hand. So, off I went to discover Allende Bookstore:

The front:

Bruce the owner:

And there's my book! Black Swan Green

And lots of arts n crafts, some done by local artists, amidst new n used books:

These did not come out too perfect but I loved these fish!

And more .....

All in all, a great place to spend an hour browsing and if it were a bit bigger, I would suggest a reading area and a small cafe, but ahhhhhhh I think I am dreaming of Santa Cruz. ((((:

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 09:09 PM

TUESDAY MORNING

So much to tell....today was chock full of wonderful experiences. To start with, Les and I went hunting for the dog wash...found it, dropped Rex off and then went i. Search of a cappuccino.

First we found Pan D'Les and bought some muffins and bread from Roberto (hope I got his name correct)

The we found Las Manitas with beautiful artwork, right next door to Pan D'Les and met owner Diane:

And you have all seen this in another post, in a completely different town...let's see who remembers where .........

And then we saw Got Baja / Doce Cuarenta ( which translates 1240 ie the address)

These muffin show cases are made from wine crates that've been repurposed

Wine cork hot plates

Look at the bottle lamps! Just ingenious!

And glasses, glasses, glasses galore

In the back garden patio, there is a wall garden where they used old plastic soda bottles.....

There is a computer room and wifi throughout the place

And more, more, more

Then, we saw the Tuesday market and met Jay from London as well as bought one of his breads

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 10:27 PM

Ok, before I continue this long trip report, any suggestions on how to make it better? Do you like it? ShouldmI continue like I have or break it up into small er reports? Or are you bored already ?

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 10:29 PM
THIS AFTERNOON

I went over to Se Habla, the Spanish Language School to meet owner Juli. Very interesting, her school is fabulous!

Les and I then went grocery shopping at Mega and I saw these HUGE watermelons!

Les and I went over to tony's for pizza with our good friend Linda

After that, I went to visit one of the poorest Colonia/neighborhoods in La Paz, where my new friend Barbara has started a one woman non- profit to help out the kids from families that have no running water or electricity.

http://www.careforkidslapaz.com

And these are two of the scholarship holders .... I want to give the kids some English classes, so everyone reading this gets three guesses as to what I offered to do *********************************************

Yup! I will be baking cakes next week! So, La Paz/East Cape residents: please help

1 I need 2 cake pans - and I can return them
2 it would be nice to get donated boxes of cake, kids love chocolate
3 frosting, any flavor

I will give three classes a week until we leave at the end of May
We can meet up anywhere in La Paz, preferably the malecon
In East Cape, we will be there Monday morning til Tuesday morning

And maybe I will get the kids to clean a bit??? might as well, right? The environment needs lots of helpers.

I will also be talking to them about education and why it is important
for the future

Care for the Kids gives becas or scholarships til they finish high school, maybe I can take them beyond ... Maybe .....

I will take one of these as well! Kids love watermelon!

THIS EVENING

Today we went to .Batolo's for our c-cktails and I will write a restaurant review separately

Typical food from Veracruz

[Edited on 4-30-2014 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 5-19-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 10:38 PM

Nice! :bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.