Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9
Author: Subject: And we are in La Paz! May 2014
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 01:22 AM

Oh Blanca- so sorry to hear that news about their teeth. you were so good to get them in to be examined.

What a sad reminder that not everyone learns how to take care of the basics, or has the means to keep their teeth healthy.

Please check your u2u for an idea.

Thank you for taking such good care of these students.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Saturday night in La Paz

This afternoon, I read this report about Las Brisas to Les and he says: i know where it is, let's go there tonight.

The review I read:

about 7 years ago had a bad experience at las brisas. this is the place right on the malacon about 2 blocks south of breesemart. never went back even though it just 3 blocks from our casa. last night after finding NIM closed we decided to try again. about 6 months ago they remodeled and added a beautiful outdoor dining area overlooking the bay.

it was fabulous. we got there at 7pm and left around 8:30. we were the only ones there. the menu is completely redone and in english. i had the bone in NY steak and my wife had the grilled shrimp. just perfect. cooked just right. best frijoles i ever had. the entire menu looked great. wide range from steaks, kidney, cantonese rice, fish, lobster, fondue, huge salad, hamburger, ceviche, seafood c-cktails etc and on the kids menu 3 types of pizza. our server, santiago had worked there 25 years and the other guy just 2 yrs. both spoke good english. the wine was excellent and a good pour. vanilla ice cream was super. they even bought us a drink on the house. don't get that too often. plenty of parking on the side street and the view is best in town. just the right height to enjoy people watching, traffic and a beautiful sunset over the magote.

very enjoyable evening and dining experience and will definitely be going back to sample more of the menu.
From the La Paz Gringo group

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, we went for our margarita/ beer drink. The restaurant was indeed empty, there were two very friendly waiters and the menus are in English. While we were there, 4 Germans came i. And looked like they enjoyed their meal.

The menu. Side 1

The menu side 2

[Edited on 4-27-2014 by BajaBlanca]

I seem to remember a restaurant named Las Brisas or similar in 1989. It was a block or two from the Los Arcos hotel to the right when facing the hotel. Your mention of the name brought back memories. Back then it was a really good seafood place.

Thanks for all the pictures. I really love La Paz, a great city. Wish I were there now.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Thanks oladulce! And good advice Udo but if you think Les shares food.....well......not! Hahaha

Today's adventure:

On the off chance that they would be able to help, I wrote the East Cape Dental Clinic about my college "kids"...the clinic does dental work for little ones for free and I asked if they could make an exception and do my bigger twins for free too.

And they said YES!

So, we hopped on a bus (our truck was getting worked on) and 2.5 hours later found ourselves in the office:

This is Clarissa, they both got teeth cleaned today:

And this is the 3 of us as we waited for lunch:

Now, Graciella has a ton of cavities. How many is a ton? I cringe to even write the number. I will whisper it: sevennnnnnnnn. She was never taught how to take care of her teeth. Those will be filled in at her next appt. My concern is her twin Clarissa who needs her wisdom teeth removed and has a possible root canal. The clinic does not handle this. God will provide, he has so far.

Then we rode home and as you all may or may not remember, I snored all the way. Like always.

Now home and relaxing. Is it margarita time yet?
Are they signed up with Seguro Popular? That covers cleanings, fillings and extractions at no cost. (at least in Ensenada).

DENTISTRY

138. Prevention of caries and periodontal disease (PREVENTION, ODONTOXESIS AND TOPICAL FLUORIDE)

139. SEALED DENTAL Pit and Fissure

140. REMOVAL OF DENTAL DECAY AND RESTORATION PARTS WITH AMALGAMA, O RESIN GLASS IONOMER

141. REMOVING SPOTS AND INFECTION ABSCESSES (INCLUDING DRAINAGE Pharmacotherapy)

142. EXTRACTION AND REMAINS ROOT erupted teeth

143. PULP THERAPY

144. THIRD MOLAR EXTRACTION

Bob Durrell
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 01:18 PM

One of the boys has indeed visited the dentist thru seguro and I asked the girls to check into it too!

Meanwhile, on this homefront, lots of fun this morning!

What a day...we have done so many things:

First things first, after breakfast we snuck down to here

And had coffee and a cappuccino. I brOwsed more inside and found all this:

From there we went over to the organic famers market

and really, I think they should join forces with the other regular market on Madero Street, close off that block like they do in many countries and make it an all out weekly affair! This market has wonderful Germans. ((((: And sausages that she was cooking up for samples and smelled REAllY good:

This family sells honey and sauces, quite a variety:

Pan de Les was there!

And of course, we had to buy one of these amazing tequila drinks...as well as try some samples. The one we had was delushus. Dulishes. Delcious. Well, you get it!

After all that, we went over to the Club Cruceros where I was to meet Nancy, a woman who works teaching English at the local orphanage. She and I will be teaming up this Wednesday and I wanted to hear about the program. I told her about BajaNomad and I sure hope she comes on board! An amazing soul and her determination to make a difference is inspirational:

And talk about small worlds. Nancy had scheduled to meet up with two possible volunteers. When they arrived, we chatted a bit and they wanted to know where we live. As I am explaining, one of them Elia, looks at me and says "Do you know Gary P.?"

Well folks, in our tiny village of 600 people, with all of 5 gringoes, Gary is our neighbor! And good friends with .Elia's brother and stays with her n her husband when he comes down. I told her he had mentioned Maria California as a place to eat near her house and yup.....small world indeed.

And THEN she starts to tell me about a friend who went to a small community and was convinced to return and teach English....and I said "Susan?"

Hahaha, it is the Susan that I recommended leave her RV at my sister's in San Diego. Hahaha

She didnt in the end, but I had heard the Susan story right here on Nomads!

Here we have Elia and Kathy...both will be volunteering at the orphanage and both might join Nomads and both will be sharing a cup of coffee at Got Baja with me soon.

There's more excitement coming today but I am off, so it will be later.

[Edited on 5-3-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 09:14 PM

My Spa Day

Well, today was pamper Blanca afternoon

First I got my hair done

Then Les did too

Then I got my legs waxed (pic does not want to load). And a pedicure!

This is Rocio

This is the building where she is currently working out of. She used to work at a hotel and then went out on her own. Still setting up shop upstairs in this building. She is fantastic, her rates are 200 pesos for a pedicure, 200 for a leg wax and she does massages as well. I highly recommend her: 612. 170-1398

And at the end of this wonderful day...we met up with new friends Andrew and Merry....funny story because they told us to meet them by the mermaid...well, there 2 mermaids on the malecon and it took a while for us to figure that out. Two couples, neither familiar with the malecon means trouble !

Here we are when we finally found each other

And this is where we went

The sign you see when you leave

All in all, this was a totally pamper Blanca day!

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by BajaNomad]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 09:29 PM

Small world indeed... esp for ESOL teachers! I've run into so many that know college colleagues (including you) in many unlikely places, around Baja and beyond.

Enjoy being pampered! That's what vacations are for.

And let us know when you find a good masseuse for body work.

(The sudden heat here in San Diego also motivated me to set a spa/pedi/wax date, and be ready for shorts/sandals/skirt season.)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 08:45 PM

Sunday

First off 7:00 am mass at the Cathedral. I wanted to go to another church but woke up with just enough time to make it to the Cathedral. Again, you are all good to go for the week. I prayed hard.

For baptisms

A group of men who pray together and once a month, they take turns in groups of 2 or 3 and pray all night. They sang at the mass today and I have a short video.

A window

After breakfast, we met weebray who took us to around the beaches past the malecon. Each one nicer than the other. Just ask Rex.

Ask me!

Ask anyone!

This afternoon, I had invited the college freshmen to come to lunch. In a strategy that worked out perfectly, I told them they could invite their significant others. Bingo, they all showed. And double bingo for me, one of them has an uncle who may do the root canal that Clarissa needs (God delivers) !

So we met up at Tony's Restaurant. I bought them pizzas, which they got to choose and then shazam, they started to discuss job interview strategies with me. It was great and they rarely head over to the malecon since their university bldgs are pretty far, so next week I will probably do the same again......wish Max had been there! My bad for not letting him know we were going. We will do this again since Max, you will be their inspiration to dream BIG.

Graciela n boyfriend

Julian

Clarissa n boyfriend

Cristian

Alfonso

Very rewarding to work with these kids ....I just wish I could fast forward 20 years .....soooo curious to see them reach for the stars and succeed.

Moving on......

So, we had heard today from weebray and husband, that NIM was a good place to eat.....and decided to go there for dinner. Turns out it is only 5 months old or 5 months new, as the case may be. Really pretty, our waiters spoke English enough to joke around in English! It is across the street from the new 7 crown hotel, on the corner of Revolution. The sign is way too small.

These came highly recommended and they did not disappoint! Reubens were absolutely incredible.

One for Les with fries

And one for me with a salad

The bar, right as you walk in

I will be doing a separate restaurant review.

While I was having lunch today, two events occurred. First I read on facebook that Wiley passed and said a quick prayer for him. Then later, I heard from the little girl who lives in one of the neediest parts of La Paz, with no water or electricity. I had asked to to see if she could get a group together. She told me that 24 kids are going to the English class on Tuesday! I will bake 2 cakes and I will do this while vacationing in Los Barriles tomorrow LOL. I am so excited! Can you just see these kids speaking some English?!

Anyways. Hope these long writings inspire you to be all you can be.

And by the way: As always, yours truly is still doing her part caring for Mother Earth:

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 09:38 PM

Wow, you have so much energy- great way to combine vacation and support for those students.

Have fun!

Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 04:50 AM

Love your story telling Blanca.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 05:32 AM

Thanks. Today is 5 de mayo a la DTbushpilot paaaaaarty style! So looking forward to it! On our way to Los Barriles soon .....

Come visit La Bocana

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 06:15 AM

Looking forward to seeing you and Les.....and about 200 of our other close personal friends.....gonna be painful for someone tomorrow....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 04:55 PM

Los Barriles

Well, this thread is about La Paz but for 24 hours, we are in Los Barriles

We arrived at 8:30 and went over to the dentist first to grab the X-ray which turns out does not help the college student with her root canal, so we left it.

Coffee at the roadrunner and a chat with Gail? Guess what? The person who runs the medical and dental clinic, thru accountant Gail, has offered to give both twins a full physical checkup when they come next Tuesday. The Cathedral in La Paz has special powers, folks, if you need some prayers answered, GO there.

From roadrunners we came over to our good friends Cliffh from bajanomad and wife, Carol to drop our stuff off, check Rex in and head out to El Viejo for chile rellenos. We arrived at 11:30 and managed to order the last 4 ! Carol and I had fish tacos .... Great as always.

Super amigos, Carol and Cliff

The famous chile rellenos at El Viejo

Here we are now, the boys siesta- ing, Carol is taking a break, and me with 2 cakes in the oven for the 27 kids who may show up for English class and cake at the impoverished La Paz colonia tomorrow afternoon. Thank goodness for friends who let you use their kitchens. ((((:

Tonight is the famous DtBushpilot 5 de mayo party.....I better get a nap in too. See you soon, David n Jill!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 09:37 PM

Party at DTBushpilot and Jill's house

Wow....amazing does not even co e close to describing this party. I will let the pics tell the story!

We started off at the " safety meeting" at Buena Vista

And from there we went to the 5 de mayo party for 200 of .david and jill's family and friends

My people!

The photo editor doesnt want to cooperate, so I can make the pic upright. Just pretend I drank too much LOL

The ever so beautiful Jill

The band that will come

Les way back there

Sooooo much food

This is how you go to a party in Los Barriles

People people people

And here is the final view as we left......thanks for a wonderful time....eating, drinking, chatting and dancing!

Come visit La Bocana

bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 09:47 PM

Great time! Good to see you and Les again. Thanks, David and Jill!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 09:52 PM
Great post BB & les

two years ago I ate mid mornings at the "road Runner" a few times and will never forget the most beautiful women that I have ever seen that works at that dentest place ..straight up !! L.B. is getting grigoised but still has a cool feel about and for me the only two citys in the world that I love is La Paz and anchorage AK.....BB pregunta ? why wont you let your dog in the pool?? I'am missing something as always.....have fun while you can...Its a short journey......Good on you and thanks for sharing.....K&T:cool:

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by captkw]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 06:31 AM
Rex

Good morning Capt! Why won't I let Rex in MY pool? Cause he is a stinky P-nche perro. Hehehe. He rolls in dirt when he can, he is just a Baja dog and nope...not gonna happen!

Lovely morning here in Los Barriles. Off to La Paz soon for some cakes and kids and their moms may come too, a little bird told me.......

This is Rex 5 minutes ago. And he convinced Cliff to rub his belly.

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 08:05 AM

Wow, nothing finer than a party with friends and family. Great
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 08:19 AM

You are having far too much fun! :lol:

Thank you Blanca for taking us everywhere with you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 09:53 AM

Wow, great report with wonderful photos! I finally took some time and went through it all. We always loved our visits to La Paz.

Was wondering what is the status of Los Arcos hotel and restaurant?

Will look forward to the rest of your vacation reports/photos!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 04:24 AM

Los Arcos looks abandoned.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.