Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Border crossing 32 foot RV with tow vehicle
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Southbound, though, SY is the way to go. You have to tie up traffic a little bit making that sharp right at the bottom of the 5, but then you just go straight and make the last possible left (back side of the poles) and there's plenty of parking while you walk to get your FMM done. Then it's one turn and you're on Av. Internacional headed to the cuota.

This has changed apparently since I last crossed at SY - 5 years ago? any maps / photos - DK?
BajaKeela
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 01:08 PM

We're 50ft (now 5er) years ago 53ft(M/H and car).. If you return through Tecate ...make sure you're in the LEFT hand lane..it just can't be done to turn into secondary from the right hand lane ..We've seen more damage on long RV's from crossings into the USA. It's like running the gauntlet..and of course if you're well advanced in the wrong lane ,there is no way to change your mind.
Even the customs officer worries his booth will get damaged and watches carefully..Of course there is no signage on which lane to take.. Have a great trip!!
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
After wandering lost through the streets of TJ with a tag axle RV and towing, I have never crossed there again. It is Tecate both south and northbound hands down. We always get insurance and tourist cards sent from Discover Baja at the first of the year for hassle free time saving entry's. Spending the night at Potrero County Park near Tecate the night before crossing allows for early morning entry at Tecate and a comfortable drive as far as Catavina that day if your destination is farther south.

Are the tourist cards from Discover Baja now prepaid - or do you have to still get a bank stamp - and then another stamp? from immigration for them to be valid? I believe that's how it was in the past ?

The tourist cards are prepaid and stamped. You are given two copy's of a Bancomer receipt when they send you the tourist card and simply turn one in as you cross the border. Painless. No running to the bank. Well worth the time you save IMO.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
The tourist cards are prepaid and stamped. You are given two copy's of a Bancomer receipt when they send you the tourist card and simply turn one in as you cross the border. Painless. No running to the bank. Well worth the time you save IMO.

But do you still have to park and go to immigration to turn the form in ? or can you give it to the inspection guys at he red light / green light?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:

But do you still have to park and go to immigration to turn the form in ? or can you give it to the inspection guys at he red light / green light?

My experience has been that they want you out of the way with an RV as quickly as possible. We have not had to exit the RV and they stick their head in and you hand them the receipts and are waved on. As in every border crossing going either way, you can't count on consistency.
RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 01:47 PM

how do you know when to get in the left lane before it's too late going northbound thru Tecate in a motorhome towing a car?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RenoJoe
how do you know when to get in the left lane before it's too late going northbound thru Tecate in a motorhome towing a car?

Start working your way to the left as soon as possible when approaching the border crossing. Last time I went through the Mexican Military forced me to the extreme right by standing in front of my RV and insisting I go right where the commercial vehicles are supposed to go. CBT was very understanding fortunately and got me through.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 02:08 PM

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/directions/elchaparr...

This might help ... going down

Bet he could come up with pictures going north too

Mine are way to old

[Edited on 8-10-2014 by wessongroup]

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RenoJoe

Start working your way to the left as soon as possible when approaching the border crossing. Last time I went through the Mexican Military forced me to the extreme right by standing in front of my RV and insisting I go right where the commercial vehicles are supposed to go. CBT was very understanding fortunately and got me through.

We cross at Tecate. we had a 26ft M.H. and towed a Jeep Wrangler going North we always have to go to Secondary.
We just recentaly purchased a 36ft fifth wheel and a ford dulley and crossed both ways at Tecate easy peasey. the person in secondary going north didnt want to crawl around the slideouts and just peerd in and let us go. we have a residency permit as we live in Ensenada never a problem.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.