woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i have a second spare that rides inside for those trips "out there"!!! to keep your drivetrain running smoove you should ALWAYS run tires of the same size on each axle. if you are in 4x4 it is even more critical.

the slight differences in diameters will bind your driveline and, ultimately, lead to failure...... YMMV!

Thanks Woody. I concur. The 'out there" trips require 2 spares to keep the pucker factor down.

if you don't have 4x4 then the above won't apply. it is the front driveline that binds while engaged. without a rear locker only one rear wheel drives even in 4x4, or is that 3x3?:light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 10:36 AM

A larger than stock tire may not fit in the spare tire location. I had to redo the carrier brackets to make mine fit. I always carry two spares. One under the truck and one in the bed. The one in the bed is easier to get to if needed. Since your truck is a 2 wheel drive putting a smaller tire on the front won't hurt. It will probably pull a little on pavement. If you have a locking rear I'd be careful, not so much in the dirt but the pavement could cause damage. If you carry a matching size spare in the bed then there is no reason not to keep the smaller spare under the truck. IMO
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 10:53 AM

The rear locker in a TRD Off Road Toyota is selectable, not like a Detroit or other automatic locker. So don't lock the rear with a different diameter rear tires.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 05:52 PM

Well guys, thanks again.

Today I got my new BFG AT TA KO's.

Feels a whole lot safer driving down the road after the last set that had very little tread.

The guy said the new All Terrain TA KO's should be out in a month or 2. He also said Toyo has some new rugged beefy off road tire coming out in 1 to 2 months as well.

I ended up mounting the larger size on the spare.

Off to Baja dirt roads shortly. Bajaguy, I owe you a beer but I think I'll be driving thru Ensenada in the morning. To early to drink?

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by Ateo]

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
i have a second spare that rides inside for those trips "out there"!!! to keep your drivetrain running smoove you should ALWAYS run tires of the same size on each axle. if you are in 4x4 it is even more critical.

the slight differences in diameters will bind your driveline and, ultimately, lead to failure...... YMMV!

Nope BS, I drove home from Oregon 900 miles with a 265/70/17 on one side in the front, other side 315/7017 no problems in the front, but wouldn't do it in the rear
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 06:14 PM

Never too early. Anytime after Sept 15th

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Well guys, thanks again.

Today I got my new BFG AT TA KO's.

Feels a whole lot safer driving down the road after the last set that had very little tread.

The guy said the new All Terrain TA KO's should be out in a month or 2. He also said Toyo has some new rugged beefy off road tire coming out in 1 to 2 months as well.

I ended up mounting the larger size on the spare.

Off to Baja dirt roads shortly. Bajaguy, I owe you a beer but I think I'll be driving thru Ensenada in the morning. To early to drink?

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by Ateo]

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 07:05 PM

That's great! new bfg's always feel good! We will be doing a short trip to mikes in 2 weeks if you want to break them in :bounce:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:

Nope BS, I drove home from Oregon 900 miles with a 265/70/17 on one side in the front, other side 315/7017 no problems in the front, but wouldn't do it in the rear

FOCUS! read the entire thing.... "if you don't have 4x4 then the above won't apply. it is the front driveline that binds while engaged. without a rear locker only one rear wheel drives even in 4x4, or is that 3x3?:light:"

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:

FOCUS! read the entire thing.... "if you don't have 4x4 then the above won't apply. it is the front driveline that binds while engaged. without a rear locker only one rear wheel drives even in 4x4, or is that 3x3?:light:"

Mine is real 4X4 Dodge 3500 with a 4000 lb camper on it, with a front axel, you don't realize every time you turn, one front tire travels farther than the other, so in front ok in rear no, read my post 900 miles no problem, I could have traveled the length of Baja I wasn't in 4 wheel drive never only needed it one time in 60 years of visiting Baja, before I put the smaller tire on the front I drove over 60 miles with it on the rear still no problems, the width of Baja.

[Edited on 7-30-2014 by 805gregg]

[Edited on 7-30-2014 by 805gregg]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 03:14 PM

60 years.....only needed 4x4 in baja once???
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 06:47 PM

There is so much more Baja to see than on paved or graded dirt roads!

Sure, most roads are passable in 2WD, but the spinning of the rear tire when traction is lost really damages the road. Be kind to the dirt (and your truck), and use 4WD off pavement!

:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:43 PM

If anyone REALLY cared about damage to the environment, they wouldn't drive in the desert at all or on the beach for that matter ....since they are both so very fragile...
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:47 PM

I guess if any of us cared about the environment, we would go back to hunting and gathering and not have modern society...?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:50 PM

I guess if any of us cared about the environment, we wouldn't have Baja off-road races..........? :?::?::?:

Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:56 PM

I could live without the race scene..... I don't know that the businesses would like it much. Exploring remote baja and leaving it as you found it is a reasonable way to enjoy the area. If looking for crowds is your goal, it isn't really necessary to cross the border. Safest most relaxing times ever are easily found off the beaten path.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
If anyone REALLY cared about damage to the environment, they wouldn't drive in the desert at all or on the beach for that matter ....since they are both so very fragile...

Sure, if you don't then why should anyone else, right?

People are part of this planet too, not an invader species. The desert is perhaps the hardiest place on earth (not fragile) and the beach renews itself with every high tide and wind storm.

Foot prints in the sand go deeper than my tires, so you must advocate no people should walk on beaches either?

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
60 years.....only needed 4x4 in baja once???

That's right, in the 60's a 56 Buick could go anywhere, and they did that's why I used it as an example. 4x4 , just gets you stuck worse, I use the old Baja way, stop get out and walk it first, then you don't come across a hazard you can't get out of. Works every time unless you are lazy.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 07:40 PM

Well put Davit! Seems like If you run in 4-wheel on dirt roads, It seems to smooth it out a bit!
some.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 08:01 PM

Jon, did you get the new or old pattern ? I think we are gonna stick with the KM2's but I'd love to hear a report on the new design performance :cool:
Same size tires are always the best plan period:P
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 09:46 PM

Exploring baja is great via highway and dirt roads in 2wd. Even greater in 4x4 in the washes and on the beaches. Either is better than not going at all.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.