Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Baja Spare Tire Question
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Sure, most roads are passable in 2WD, but the spinning of the rear tire when traction is lost really damages the road. Be kind to the dirt (and your truck), and use 4WD off pavement!

Another issue is that many roads are passable in 2WD when dry but can quickly turn to 4X4 only if the weather turns bad, leaving you stranded.

I like going to remote areas and having 4WD available is like carrying a spare and jack...most often don't need it but it's a lifesaver when you do.

WTF
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 09:59 PM

True. And you never know when that storm will tear up the road ahead. Top off the ice chest at every stop available. Never venture out without a full load of pacificos...
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 10:24 PM

There goes DK trashing the BFG ta ko again.. And he's never had a set!
At least ten sets for me, one nail puncture In twenty years from being stupid...

I just put a new set of 275 70 17 on my Tundra...... A set of five...... Like having bomb proof anchor gear, with way to much chain on your yacht.. A new set of BFG's (ta ko) is the most important insurance policy you can put on your Baja vehicle... Bar none..

Ok ok, whatever tire YOU think is the best... Put five on the truck, all the same size, Jmho

And running around in 4by the whole time your in the dirt?? Double the gas consumption.. No big deal if your going to poke back to the highway/hotel every night. But, If your trying to get somewhere good, and gas could be an issue, use 4by sparingly.. Any decent uphill or downhill I come to in the dirt, I throw it in 4by. I carry a camper and some weight, so I want to distribute as much of that weigt as I can to the front axle when appropriate..
Mis dos centavos
TT
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
There goes DK trashing the BFG ta ko again.. And he's never had a set!
At least ten sets for me, one nail puncture In twenty years from being stupid...

I just put a new set of 275 70 17 on my Tundra...... A set of five...... Like having bomb proof anchor gear, with way to much chain on your yacht.. A new set of BFG's (ta ko) is the most important insurance policy you can put on your Baja vehicle... Bar none..

Ok ok, whatever tire YOU think is the best... Put five on the truck, all the same size, Jmho

And running around in 4by the whole time your in the dirt?? Double the gas consumption.. No big deal if your going to poke back to the highway/hotel every night. But, If your trying to get somewhere good, and gas could be an issue, use 4by sparingly.. Any decent uphill or downhill I come to in the dirt, I throw it in 4by. I carry a camper and some weight, so I want to distribute as much of that weigt as I can to the front axle when appropriate..
Mis dos centavos
TT

Nope, not trashing, just reporting on actual failures I have seen. Also, I have owned 4 sets of BFGs, I actually replaced the original set that came on my first Tacoma with the same BFG tires when the price was still low on them (they are being called 'Rugged Fails' on Tacoma World so my opinion is not alone).

There are just so many other good tires without the history of repeated sidewall failures of the All Terrain TA, I have a hard time understanding the blind loyalty to this one brand? I have had great performance off road from Toyo, Hankook and Cooper... I know Doug here swears by Yokohama... and that's what Cameron Steele runs on his Raptor... There are just so many more options than BFG, that's all.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 08:46 AM

Quote:

Nope, not trashing, just reporting on actual failures I have seen. Also, I have owned 4 sets of BFGs, I actually replaced the original set that came on my first Tacoma with the same BFG tires when the price was still low on them (they are being called 'Rugged Fails' on Tacoma World so my opinion is not alone)

Guess I don't F up are rides that much, years of BFG in my fams history book and I've never experienced the failure rate you speak of .
I would agree the low end Rugged Trail BFGs that came on some new vehicles are not their finest product and I don't have any application for them. My " Spiderman KM2s " are the finest tires I've ever owned and are best suited for my application.
Most Baja Locals with any money seem to run KM2s on their 4x4s or maybe I just have an eye for them.
I love when I pull in to a BFG dealer in Baja that they rotate their product for free ( tip not included ) and IF I should ever shred one of my beauties I can replace it IN Baja.

Yep, their Baja Champions

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by BajaRat]

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by BajaRat]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 08:54 AM

Tacoma world.... Haha! That is funny!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 08:59 AM

I've had no issues with Goodyear mt/rs or BFG a/ts. Lots of buddies run the BFG m/t , seems to be a good tire too. Doesn't appear to be blind brand loyalty.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 09:03 AM

I run Kevlar mt/r on my jk rubicon and have chewed them up pretty bad in rocks. Never had a flat. Wouldn't run them on my superduty as it sees a lot of highway miles in addition to desert trips. Different tires for different applications. Could just buy 2 sets and swap them out when going to baja.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 03:24 PM

20 years and ten sets is by no means blind brand loyalty, DK'd.
Easily 20,000 offroad miles in those twenty years, btw

I've seen you post one pic of a sidewall blowout on a bfg ta/ko in risky conditions(been there, know that). Please elaborate on this "repeated sidewall failure" you speak of..
Only seen one other thread here where someone had a bfgtako failure(not sidewall), and they had disclaimed needing a new set before the trip....and leave your stock bfg's out of it this time.thats like comparing a race horse to a desert mule
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 05:16 PM

So, do you want people to say if a popular tire fails ever... or just play it hush hush? I see you started a new thread just for the All Terrain TAs, asking.

I was the passenger in two different trucks, 13 years apart, very new looking tires both times (All Terrain TA) and they both had a sidewall failure.

The first time on a sand road and no rock was seen and the second time, the driver saw the rock and took the blame for hitting it.

What I am saying is the famous 3 ply sidewall that has this tire so well liked is not making it stronger by any sense of the meaning. Except for my Cooper Discoverer STT tires, I only have run 2 ply sidewall truck (all terrain) tires and NEVER had a sidewall failure.

My wife has All Terrains on her CJ-5 and LOVED them ('a good Jeep needs good shoes' she would say).

Just saying these tires are not fail proof, as I have witnessed...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 05:27 PM

I concur! if manny,moe,jack and davidK say coopers are da chit, you gotta believe em! between the four of them they've logged almost 8,000 posts over at tacoma world! they must know what they're talkin about! ;)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 05:35 PM

I like Toyo and Hankook as well if not better than Cooper.

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
True. And you never know when that storm will tear up the road ahead. Top off the ice chest at every stop available. Never venture out without a full load of pacificos...

Some people truly know how to travel and keep their priorities straight.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 07:00 PM

Quote:

Who cares?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 07:01 PM

GO PREPARED! Also don't forget in addition to a spare tire, you need a bag full of baja burritos. They can be a real lifesaver.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 11:14 PM

Sooooo, one failure blamed on the tire in the last 50something years in Baja is repeated failure?? C'mon dude, that just sounds foolish.. I give you more cred than that
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:

Who cares?

Nobody I hope, but Tomas keeps making up stuff about what I promote/ like/ dislike/ tear down... I just want to make the truth be known.

1) There are many good tires and I will report on MY experiences with them.

2) Twice I was in a truck with BFG All Terrains that had sidewall failures. I also was in a Jeep with never a BFG failure. Since we expect tires to not fail, that is the norm.

3) I have owned 4 sets of BFGs over the past 14 years. Each one has lasted less than 30,000 miles before numerous flats from sharp rocks had me change them. They were the Rugged Trail TAs.

Air pressure has a lot to do with resisting punctures on Baja graded roads and I now deflate to 25 psi and no more sharp rock flats (so far).

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K[/i

2) Twice I was in a truck with BFG All Terrains that had sidewall failures. I also was in a Jeep with never a BFG failure. Since we expect tires to not fail, that is the norm.

Twice I've gottin my wife pregnant with hundreds of chances and near misses, still not gonna trade her out, I've found her pattern works for my application.
To each his own, you enjoy yours I'll enjoy mine.
And I have experienced punctures but no failures :cool:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 10:13 AM

anyone care to just take a look at years of results in B1K? good luck with your maypops ! ;D
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 03:58 PM

10 ply tires both treads AND sidewalls

TWO spares

[Edited on 8-2-2014 by solosancarlos]
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.