Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Camping in Baja Norte
surfcity33

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 12:33 PM
Camping in Baja Norte

I recently went camping with my dog in La Bocana and a beach near Punta Cabras. Is it safe to do this with out a group of people? Everyone I have met,locals and tourists have been really cool and i never felt fearful. I always use common sense. Any input would be appreciated. Also are there any recommendations on campsites in punta san jacinto
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 12:42 PM

best campsites are the ones you find. check it out and report back.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 12:54 PM

my only concern would not being able to lock up your car, what with no backseat or a rear window!:lol: welcome to the farm.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 12:59 PM

The Punta San Jacinto area is reknowned for being preyed upon by thieves---no way I'd camp around there unless with a large group or actually within the confines of the Punta San Jacinto campground. We've been nailed twice on that stretch of coast. Cabras used to be pretty mellow, we went there all the time in the 80s but don't know these days......
surfcity33

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 01:21 PM

Thanks guys. What is the campground like in punta san jacinto?. is it rustic or are there bathrooms. and what does it cost
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 10:55 PM

I've always felt "safe" in the Cabras area. Problem is that the surf never is great and I end up spending my time fishing and drinking. I haven't got good surf there in 15 years! ;/
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
I've always felt "safe" in the Cabras area. Problem is that the surf never is great and I end up spending my time fishing and drinking. I haven't got good surf there in 15 years! ;/

Yeah, I hear that, was a rare time when the place was breaking right....
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 11:44 AM

OK good to know its not just me! : )

I go there for a short weekend trip about once a year, and boy I literally never get it good anymore. Its either huge windy close outs or small glassy close outs. Not to mention the water is always frigid...that wont ever change though!! hah
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 04:05 PM

surfcity33,
I'm guessing that you missed this discussion, posted the day before yours:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74691

Punta San Jose (just north of Punta Cabras), weekend of July 4th. Robbery, carjacking, shots fired.
Safe? That is for you to decide.

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by Maderita]

[Edited on 7-28-2014 by Maderita]
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:20 PM

I camp solo at Punta Cabras frequently...no problemo! It's highly unlikely that you will be alone anyway, it's popular with Mexicans and gringos alike and there's usually someone else around.

Another option is just to the north near Tampico. There's a private camp area on somebody's land just above the beach. Never gone down but it looks nice. There's always Coyote Cals too.

The report of shootings, robberies and carjackings at PSJ over July 4th weekend is BS. I was there on Sunday and it was peaceful and serene. Some guys from SD North County who camped out all there week somehow seem to have missed it too...

I think what happens is some newb idiots from LA or wherever decide to hit a super popular spot on the most crowded holiday weekend of the year...and are surprised to find out they don't have it all to themselves, so they make up some lame story like shootouts or great whites thinking it will scare people away. Maybe it does, but if you want totally empty surf don't go to PSJ on a crowded holiday summer weekend. There's plenty of better options but you need to do little exploring...

WTF
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:22 PM

One thing I usually do when camping alone is set out extra beach chairs. It looks like there are friends around who are unaccounted for...a pretty good deterrent.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by Chupacabra]

WTF
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:35 PM

Chupacabra,
Without any evidence, you are quite sure of your opinion that the incident is "BS." Your assumption that it didn't happen, because you didn't talk with a witness, is faulty logic. That is followed by conjecture that it is "...newb idiots from LA or wherever... ...who make up some lame story like shootouts..."

I can assure you that my long-time friend (who was a victim, along with his wife and 4 friends) is no novice. He's from OB and has surfed Punta San Jose for 27 years. Seems like any time that a big swell comes in, he goes down there to surf. He is credible; I've rockclimbed in Baja with him several times. You get to know someone's character well when your life is literally in their hands.

Per his very detailed report, they arrived on Thursday. There was "not a soul" around when they arrived. The robbery happened early Friday morning. (6:00 AM, surf session, broken board 20 min. later, walking back to camp for another board as the robbery was in progress). After talking with police, they packed up and followed the police out to Ensenada. So, I'm guessing that all was quiet before noon on Friday, July 4.
The landowner's son, "Edie" (probably a misspelled "Eddie") was able to phone the police from PSJ. He witnessed the burning SUV, which was torched by the robber/carjacker.
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maderita
Without any evidence, you are quite sure of your opinion

Yeah, that's pretty typical for me :P

All I'm saying is that I was there that weekend and spoke at length with campers and locals who were there all week. Nobody mentioned a thing and there was absolutely no sign of any shootings or vehicle fires.

As far as "fake danger reports", I don't know anything about your friends but for examples have a look at Wannasurf and you'll see that stuff all the time...here's an obviously fake shark report:

BS Mex reports

Since I was actually there that weekend, for the time being I'll believe my own eyes and ears. If an official report emerges (i.e. coverage from an Ensenada news source, etc), then I'll change my mind!

WTF
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 07:17 AM

And BTW there were other campers at PSJ on Thursday and all that week, I personally spoke with them. Furthermore, 6AM is perhaps the busiest time on the point as a bunch of fisherman commute in daily. It's practically rush hour then with trucks arriving and boats firing up.

Lastly, the south swell hadn't even barely hit Friday AM. Waves were 1-3 foot...broken board? Highly unlikely.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by Chupacabra]

WTF
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 07:28 AM

I used to post on wannasurf all the time, making stuff up about shark attacks and Mexican military patrol boats driving thru the lineup at Scorpion Bay. It didn't thin the crowds but I tried. :lol::lol::lol:

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan

Yeah, I hear that, was a rare time when the place was breaking right....

The place likes mixed swells and/or the sandbars need to be right...but it fires under the right conditions:

WTF
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:23 AM

Beauty! When did the shrine get built on the point? I haven't been there in years.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:29 AM

Thanks for the nice photos... Too bad that the surf N-zis will come down on you soon for exposing nice surf with a location! LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:34 AM

Oh yeah nice photos!!!

I have scored there from the 80's to 90's many of times!! But literally, the last 10-15 years (20+ times) I've been there, I have just got SKUNKED.

As far as safety, I've always considered this area one of the more safer areas in Northern Baja. There are usually Mexican families camped now too with their quads and bikes, fishing, and having a good time. I always stop and talk with them and all are very nice. Last time the guys gave us 5 big perch and a few mussels to use for bait :)

The incident @ PSJ seems legit to me, but I have no idea. I'm still shocked to hear about it.

Has anyone found any other documentation or photos of that happening?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks for the nice photos... Too bad that the surf N-zis will come down on you soon for exposing nice surf with a location! LOL

other than your ignorant statement, i'll reserve comment as I really don't care anymore. everyone starts at PSJ and heads south as they sprout sack hair.

like I said, we passed on that spot 25+ years ago. ever since the CardonHugger dropped out I stopped caring. surfers should know that blasting fotos and names on the internet will only bring more crowds.......

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.