durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
High on the list of reasons we live here is the fact that we can buy the freshest fish in the world right here at the local market. I don't get it. Also, a hunnert pounds of fish is clearly excessive. If customs doesn't give you grief I will be extremely surprised. They were unhappy with us for bringing a case of paper towels. I say give all your friends up north a thoughtful gift and bring a reasonable amount to remember your adventure.
Oh and by the way, that "fresh" fish in the market was caught by a pangero who didn't bleed it, threw it in a fish box that may or may not have had ice, and by the time you buy it from the market it could be over a week old. That fish from the market doesn't hold a candle to fish that was properly bled and iced, then processed the same day. That is why I fish.

When I lived at Half Moon Bay I would often come home from work, launch my boat and go catch one salmon and cook it for dinner that night. Can't get any fresher than that.

On occasion I would catch two, cook one and smoke the other in the smoker I made from an old all metal fridge and an oil drum for the fire box.

Bob Durrell
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 05:05 PM

monoloco - would love to help take some of that delish fish off your hands :-) ok all kidding aside.. respectfully suggest you contact SJD airport aduana - in advance of your travel - and explain your situation .. before things got really 'organized' at the airport, we shipped merchandise once per month - approved by the FAA as a known shipper to handle our own freight forwarding .. whichever airlines you are flying, they know who their airport aduana is .. none of the numbers I have from 1994-2002 work (tried them for you) .. Its likely you may need to donate a bag or 2/3 ..

Magic and fishy best wishes!! LG

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by CaboMagic]

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
monoloco - would love to help take some of that delish fish off your hands :-) ok all kidding aside.. respectfully suggest you contact SJD airport aduana - in advance of your travel - and explain your situation .. before things got really 'organized' at the airport, we shipped merchandise once per month - approved by the FAA as a known shipper to handle our own freight forwarding .. whichever airlines you are flying, they know who their airport aduana is .. none of the numbers I have from 1994-2002 work (tried them for you) .. Its likely you may need to donate a bag or 2/3 ..

Magic and fishy best wishes!! LG

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by CaboMagic]
Thanks for that. My wife is going to call aduana and find out what the reglas are. I let everyone know when I find out. I did find one person who flew in with one box last year with no hassles, I will have two though.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 06:08 PM

I stand by my post high on my horse. 100lbs. of frozen fish is totally unreasonable. I have seen this scenario too many times. Too much fish for one family unit to consume in a reasonable time gets put in a freezer. Last year when the power went out for almost a day in our small barrio in Newport Beach, my neighbor, a BIG Baja fisherman brought me some frozen Dorado that was thawing. Have you ever seen old "fresh" fish. It was not bad but it was inedible, yellow, tough - not even good for bait. Oh I know, you're gonna get all huffy and tell us how you eat 4lbs. a day and love it. I call BS, I know better. I too have friends that fish salmon in Alaska, they came home early this year hoping for aid from the government because of a lousy season.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 06:17 PM

Quote:

On occasion I would catch two, cook one and smoke the other in the smoker I made from an old all metal fridge and an oil drum for the fire box.

Good on you, I wish more fishermen would respect the resource and only take what they could consume immediately. I speak from experience here having overfished in the past. You "get into the fish" and it's like a drug, you can't stop. I have been on many charter boats up and down the west coast. They all have posted limits but that all goes out the window when you hit it big. It's human nature. The loggers would take every tree if they were allowed to.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 06:28 PM

a vacuum sealer keeps fish like new for over 2 years.....

just saying!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 07:30 PM

I often wind up with 400# to 900# of processed tuna we go though it in a year, some is Christmas gifts. A long range boat with 15 fish from 150# to 200 plus pounds adds up quick. 100 pounds of salmon seems about right for a good trip.Good luck getting it home!

When I first read the thread headline, The first thought was taking sand to the beach. After reading I hope you can get it home.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 07:36 PM

Damn, Mac. hook a brother up!

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 07:38 PM

Cabo COSTCO imports and sells big slabs of fresh salmon and packaged smoked salmon, so there must be a way....

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 08:27 PM

The thing is - in Loreto at least - you can not get packed frozen fish from the north in - unless is has a commercial market label on it. Or canned - either. . . . from recent experience. . . .
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
The thing is - in Loreto at least - you can not get packed frozen fish from the north in - unless is has a commercial market label on it. Or canned - either. . . . from recent experience. . . .
I might have to "engineer" some labels in Sitka.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
I stand by my post high on my horse. 100lbs. of frozen fish is totally unreasonable. I have seen this scenario too many times. Too much fish for one family unit to consume in a reasonable time gets put in a freezer. Last year when the power went out for almost a day in our small barrio in Newport Beach, my neighbor, a BIG Baja fisherman brought me some frozen Dorado that was thawing. Have you ever seen old "fresh" fish. It was not bad but it was inedible, yellow, tough - not even good for bait. Oh I know, you're gonna get all huffy and tell us how you eat 4lbs. a day and love it. I call BS, I know better. I too have friends that fish salmon in Alaska, they came home early this year hoping for aid from the government because of a lousy season.
You're funny weebray, I paid $100 for a king salmon stamp that entitles me to an annual limit of 6 fish, I'm bringing home half of my annual limit, and I certainly am the last one who needs a lecture about preserving fish. And guess what, mr. self appointed arbiter of what's reasonable to retain? That king salmon will likely be consumed before xmas, along with 100 lbs. of fresh fish from Baja. Oh, and by the way, there was a huge return of kings in SE this year with some power trollers having 1000 fish days, that's about 100k in one day, so I don't think that there's many folks around here who will be getting aid from the govt.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
I might have to "engineer" some labels in Sitka.

I would definitely look into that!!!;D

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by Mula]
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I often wind up with 400# to 900# of processed tuna we go though it in a year, some is Christmas gifts.

Congratulations, You just became my poster boy for exactly what I am talking about - out of control overfishermen. I printed your post to show to my friends when making a point about the senseless slaughter of a precious resource. You prove my point. Let's look at some facts here. Frozen fish is good for about 3-4 mo. before it starts to degrade. Especially tuna or salmon which are very fatty fish. Cod, catfish, triggerfish, etc. can be successfully kept for up to 6mo. This assumes it is frozen almost immediately after being caught. Four hundred pounds of fish equals 800 or more servings. We love fish and eat it 2 or 3 times a week but if I served my family 800 fish dinners in 3 or 4 months there would be munity here. The only way to change this statistic is to serve fish that is over 4 months old. I owned a retail fish market for ten years and I know that frozen fish over 4 months old is only fair to poor to eat. You can tell me all day how you vacuum pack and freeze it under the most rigorous of conditions (which by the way, you don't), it's still bait after 4 months. You're not going to cop to it but I know you're throwing a bunch of fish away. Case dismissed.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 04:07 PM

. . . . Why . . . ?

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 04:08 PM

Weebay, we will disagree on this. I have never gone over limits PERIOD... I do not poach anything at all. I take a 10 trip that leaves and returns right before Christmas (Christmas gifts). Any fish under 125# swims away, as do the most of the fish under 150#.
I am fishing for big fish.Do the math 600# at 50% yeald = 1200# of fish caught. 15 fish limit. I don't fill my limit most trips. I will always keep a slot upon if I get one over 200# the SD long range boats use RSW, spike and wire the fish when they come aboard. All the meat is packaged at 5star or fisherman's packaging If you don't know these packing houses look them up. Better fish is only in Japan.
One of the 3 days is kayak trip out to the islands. Size is small and No slow growing fish are keep. The other 3 day is a offshore for mostly YT.I spend Easter Sunday smoking and canning what ever is left.

When you were selling fish did you sell, Chillinan Sea Bass, Shark, Calico bass, Swordfish any other spices that isn't sustaining it's self. I do not consume anything that is not on the the sustainable fisheries list. I have been sportsman all my life. Will print and show you friends this one?

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 04:37 PM

When I leave Colorado , for Baja each year, I have a good size freezer of Elk and Antelope, with a bunch of Pheasants thrown in for ballast....Using weebrays logic this is almost all wasted....Danged if its not all gone when I leave, with a lot of smiley friends in the wake.....

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Weebay, we will disagree on this. I have never gone over limits PERIOD... I do not poach anything at all. I take a 10 trip that leaves and returns right before Christmas (Christmas gifts). Any fish under 125# swims away, as do the most of the fish under 150#.
I am fishing for big fish.Do the math 600# at 50% yeald = 1200# of fish caught. 15 fish limit. I don't fill my limit most trips. I will always keep a slot upon if I get one over 200# the SD long range boats use RSW, spike and wire the fish when they come aboard. All the meat is packaged at 5star or fisherman's packaging If you don't know these packing houses look them up. Better fish is only in Japan.
One of the 3 days is kayak trip out to the islands. Size is small and No slow growing fish are keep. The other 3 day is a offshore for mostly YT.I spend Easter Sunday smoking and canning what ever is left.

600 lbs of fish is ridiculous. How much freezer space do you have? What's your BMI? Eating tuna frequently, especially and big tuna, is going to expose you to high mercury.
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 05:01 PM

Actually the yield of "meat" from a whole tuna is 33% ergo almost a ton of tuna to yield 600 pounds. If you were a poor Mexican pescadero living in a rag diaper maybe you could eat that much fish, but you're not. If you have the $ to go on one of the tuna boats out of SD you also have enough money to buy quality beef, pork, lamb and tofu. You're not going to eat that much fish period. I have seen it too many times. If you are honest with yourself you will admit that a bunch of fish is wasted. OK, let's say you really do eat that much of the same species over and over and over again for months. How about the thousands of other overfishermen that catch a ton. One thousand overfishermen = 0ne thousand tons! And don't lecture me about sustainability, the tuna stocks are in big trouble. Mexico closed the Bluefin season because of the paucity of fish. They only recently opened it back up for sport fishing. Where do you think the political pressure against that action came from. I won't mention any names but do the initials Cabo Magic ring a bell?

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 05:02 PM

So? rent yourself out as a thermometer......Regardless of all this theoretical BS, I suspect most of these fish (and game) are eaten and enjoyed....Eat spam, if you wish....

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.