Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  30    32    34  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 11:51 AM

This is a well presented somewhat artistic video covering San Jose Del Cabo...in the town , estuary, shoreline

After Odile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwwTwuTNTM
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 12:44 PM

Thanks for that link.....shows that it is worse than some of us hoped it would look like... :( :(

Don't believe everything you think....
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Thanks for that link.....shows that it is worse than some of us hoped it would look like... :( :(

Bring a shovel and high boots, mudfest in Mulege!

I sure hope there's some dirt left to ride on the loop we did last season, that its not all rock!
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 01:07 PM

Has Bajajudy checked in? Hope they, their home, and business came through safe.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 01:28 PM

Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere, but this was a press release from Boleo Mining Co. in Sta. Rosalia:

Vancouver, September 18, 2014 - Baja Mining Corp. ("Baja" or the "Company") (TSX-V: BAJ - OTC: BAJFF) wishes to provide an update regarding the Boleo Project, in which it holds a 10% interest, and the impact of Hurricane Odile that hit the Baja Peninsula earlier in the week. Baja understands that although the hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm in the region of Santa Rosalia, heavy rains and high winds in the area knocked out electricity and communications. Baja has been informed by Minera y Metalurgica del Boleo S.A. P.I. de CV. ("MMB") and Korea Resources Corporation that there has been no notable damage to the project site and communications have been restored at the site but that the activity at the Boleo Project remains halted while the site is inspected and until clean-up is completed.

Baja is deeply saddened to report that there was one confirmed fatality involving Boleo personnel. Tragically, Mr. Kyoung Jin Park, Chief Operating Officer of MMB, ‎was drowned in the town of Santa Rosalia, located adjacent to the Boleo Project, by a flash flood attributable to heavy rains from the storm. In addition, Mr. Sung Keun Chai, Chief Executive Officer of MMB, who is thought to have been with Mr. Park at the time of the incident, is currently missing. Baja has been advised that the Mexican authorities continue their search for Mr. Chai. The leadership of these two executives has been important in advancing the Boleo Project, and Mr. Park, and Mr. Chai, if confirmed deceased, will be greatly missed.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Drew
This is a well presented somewhat artistic video covering San Jose Del Cabo...in the town , estuary, shoreline

After Odile

Holly crap,, did you see that one high rise Hotel,, the front of it was totally blown away

it going to take along time to repair some of these Hotels and businesses
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
This photo looks really bad:

:O Even before you see this photo:

That's unreal

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Drew

After Odile

Holly crap,, did you see that one high rise Hotel,, the front of it was totally blown away

it going to take along time to repair some of these Hotels and businesses

the same photographer something i found much more interesting: the storm front rolling in to cabo
http://youtu.be/u-twJC6GxVA?list=UU8ewputXzo8QRfOgbi0FAOw
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 04:05 PM

What hotel is this elbeau

Ford
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 04:12 PM

Those missing buildings must be a result of construction. I doubt a hurricane could lift out an entire tennis court and leave no trace. There is nothing for the wind to get lift on.....I could be wrong, but I'm just saying. Still no word for us....nothing out of playa tortuga! I did hear someone saw our caregivers driving, so they must be safe.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 04:55 PM

Ford,
The wave action could do that damage....

Don't believe everything you think....
Ford
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 06:05 PM

Good point....
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 06:18 PM

Haven't seen this anywhere else on Nomads, yet>

Stretch of highway between Guerrero Negro and Vizcaino. No wonder there's no through traffic!

GroNeg-Vizcaino highway collapse_GNVSep18 by dvalov, on Flickr

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 06:30 PM

Thanks for sharing this photo. It is totally incredible.

Quote:
Originally posted by ecomujeres
Haven't seen this anywhere else on Nomads, yet>

Stretch of highway between Guerrero Negro and Vizcaino. No wonder there's no through traffic!

GroNeg-Vizcaino highway collapse_GNVSep18 by dvalov, on Flickr

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 08:10 PM

Just heard from a Mulege resident tonight who made it through from Mulege to Guerrero Negro today (took 9 hours to go 185 miles). Worst part was in San Ignacio (huge vado full of water). No mention of the stretch shown above; they must have a detour along the side which is very slow going.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:02 PM

Just a quick update, more later from back in the States. Made it through the storm at our house in Light House Point (east cape), minor damage. Minor damage to neighbors house but no harm to people. After 3 days without power and info attempted to head to San Jose. The bridge is gone at Caduano. Headed back to Los Barriles and got to a friends place just as the internet came back. No power in all the east cape, all on generators. After looking at the info we decided to head for Loreto as their airport is undamaged and Alaska was sending an extra plane down for Friday. 9/18 am drive through La Paz was ok. Most lights out but drivers behaving. Got gas at last station heading north. Lots and lots of power lines down between LP and CdC. CdC appeared undamaged. Lines at banks and usual crazy traffic. Lots of mud and water over the road but very drivable. 6 hours Los Barriles to Loreto. It is ugly down here and will be for a while but saw nothing like the madness posted from Cabo.

Andy
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
Just heard from a Mulege resident tonight who made it through from Mulege to Guerrero Negro today (took 9 hours to go 185 miles). Worst part was in San Ignacio (huge vado full of water). No mention of the stretch shown above; they must have a detour along the side which is very slow going.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75459

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bajaojosazul

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
What hotel is this elbeau

I believe that is the Hyatt Place, close to Mega and Mcdonalds in San Jose (right off the hwy). I have seen other pics of it online along with the shredded side of the Mcdonalds. It is a new hotel, just built within the last year or two.

Truly sad video. The town looks broken.
Bajaojosazul

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
Has Bajajudy checked in? Hope they, their home, and business came through safe.

I have been in contact several times with a friend on a Mexican cell. It only works in certain areas & sporadically. I know for a fact that certain friends and neighbors are ok, but absolutely cannot reach them -- landline, internet or even cell phone. The area close to Mega seems to work fairly consistently last two days for his phone calling out but I cannot call him.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2014 at 01:56 AM

Friday 2:45am
Copters flying over woke me up, Internet seems a little better, less traffic?
Anyway, just miserable down here, some of my workers showed up for clean up yesterday, all very concerned bout looting andthebad element, security here and development seem to really be patrolling at night, the 2 gunshots were supposedly from an owner that saw a gang of ten looters crossing fence that is down next to golf cours next door.
Heard 2600 people at San Jose airport trying to get out, only 1 terminal partly operational?
Gas if the have it, 1 gallon limit, line more than 1 km.
Shelters serving food 3x a day, radio gives locations, Pena here 2x last 3 days.
House fairly well gutted outside, all dedris in lot net door, getting things ready for polo, after Odile polo looks like I non event, but I'm buttoning up anyway, radio has said nothing about Polo at all.
Was told power could be 10 days? If so that would be two weeks, I'm not that confident.
Water supposed to start returning today to some areas?
Military check points, people told don't be driving with stuff if you can't prove it's yours.
Best of luck too all, it's miserably hot and humid, but feeling luckier the more I see.
 Pages:  1  ..  30    32    34  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.