BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: NOT SURPRISED??? The toll road will delay opening until December, 2014
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
My idea has always been to build a suspension bridge over the slide area in question.
Let the land slip all it wants...under the bridge.

I agree

Ya, suspension bridges are so cheap, let's buy 2!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 04:06 PM

OK, so you want the same engineers, geologists, contractors (and politicians) who can't build a road (twice) to build a suspension bridge????

What might "they" anchor the bridge supports on/to???

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
My idea has always been to build a suspension bridge over the slide area in question.
Let the land slip all it wants...under the bridge.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
That entire area from El Mirador to San Miguel will be subject to slipping forever, no matter what CAPUFE and SCT do to repair or "fix" the road. The only logical and sound solution will be to construct a new road east from Baja Mar to the free road, then improve and 4 lane the free road to just south of the current toll booths at San Miguel

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

What might "they" anchor the bridge supports on/to???

Tuck them safely into the hands of God.:lol:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 04:24 PM

There are lots of European engineers in Mexico...they know how to build a suspension bridge.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 04:27 PM

Maybe they should use them to build the road

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
There are lots of European engineers in Mexico...they know how to build a suspension bridge.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 04:32 PM

The bridge would have to go from El Mirador straight to El Sauzal. The whole coastal route is built on unstable ground that has been slip sliding away since day one.

I hope that they get it fixed by December and I hope I'm not on it next time it fails.

I wish I could ride on the 28th. That will be a fun one with no Tigre.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 08:52 PM

It's much quieter in San Miguel without the tollbooth operating. No trucks using their engines to slow down, i'd be happy for it to stay this way.

If and when they get this stretch of road repaired it would make sense to divert the trucks through La Mision and only use it for light vehicles. But that probably won't happen.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 09:00 PM

Someone mentioned to me that the US has plenty of coastal roads built on unstable coastline. It seems the US is doing something to keep them from collapsing. Don't ask me, ask my hairdresser why. I only prescribe Pepto Bismol after the fact.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 09:19 PM

Yes, La Mision has repaved the roads completely going into and out of the town up to the La Fonda exit. Probably because the government wanted to make the alternate route nicer to drive. In the meantime the traffic is backed up for hours and hours. But, looks like they are almost done.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 01:00 PM
More news re. Scenic Hwy.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&j...

bacquito
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 01:07 PM

How about a different link? Maybe the original untranslated one?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 01:14 PM

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=36458

The article says new problems were recently discovered that will cause a slip in the schedule. Then the next paragraph says someone originally made an engineering mistake that resulted in the new schedule.

Frequently during project execution new information is obtained or circumstances change that cause submission of engineering change proposals (ECPs) for more money and/or time. There may have been no mistakes made in the original estimates made based upon what was known at the time.

It happens all the time in the engineering profession, as does initially low-balling the project to get the job knowing all along ECPs would be needed later.;D

Google translation:

Ensenada's mayor, Gilberto Hirata Chico, require the president of Mexico, Enrique Peņa Nieto, who finque responsibility for the economic damage that has occurred during the repair of the scenic road Tijuana-Ensenada.

On Thursday Federal Roads and Bridges (Capufe) will be reported in December when the circulation of the highway reopened, and not on September 15 when it was planned. The decision was made after that in recent days and shifts cracks were detected on the embankment and water seepage into various strata, affecting reconstruction.

In this regard, the president of the Business Coordinating Council of Ensenada (CCEE), Olea Adrian Mendivil, issued a position which they call the "head of, or responsible for the engineering mistake" committed in the area of ​​the sinking.

The business group agreed with the mayor, require the federal government to offer alternatives to improve traffic flow on the only access road after the 28 December a stretch at Km 93 + 500 collapsed.

"! It was a cold shower for all the ensenadenses! The agreement was to issue a statement in which citizens of Ensenada requires solutions with alternative channels of communication for people and goods, "he said.

The businessman, Carlos Loyola Peterson, said he must undertake various actions, including alternate routes communications secure, fast and agile, both Tijuana and Tecate Ensenada made.

"Some of these actions has raised the -federales- authorities in February but ignored us, did not listen and the scientific sector or the business or social, must now do," he said.

Representatives of the private sector who are uninformed mentioned by Capufe.

This is the second step that the industry operates with the federal government, the first was to be accountable to the people that put drivers at risk of sinking day by letting them pass through the site, and the latter by the economic damage .

[Edited on 9-13-2014 by SFandH]
WhackAMolE
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 03:41 PM

Remember Google Translate when they tell you Google software is going to be driving cars.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Someone mentioned to me that the US has plenty of coastal roads built on unstable coastline. It seems the US is doing something to keep them from collapsing. Don't ask me, ask my hairdresser why. I only prescribe Pepto Bismol after the fact.

The Pacific Coast Hwy through California and Oregon is an excellent example of what it takes to keep a coastal road open on a perpetually sliding base. Simple formula.....Throw hundreds of millions of dollars, lots of engineering talent and unlimited heavy equipment and material and it can be done. With great difficulty.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.