[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
drove up San Evaristo yesterday
road good
the mountain pass is impassable
saw AKgringo's tire tracks
it will take a long time before they get the dozer out there

I have rebuilt the pass many times with my own hands (a few strong friends are an asset)

http://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Travel/Baja-California-Nov...

Nice job!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 08:31 AM

4x4abc, I gotta ask, did you take the work party picture, or are you the supervisor on the left? Oh well, what are friends for if you can't use them?
By the way, I now have another case of vehicle envy.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 11:50 AM

I took the pictures - but I worked as hard as the others (pictures in between)

[Edited on 11-18-2014 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 02:48 PM

Harald, thanks for the photos... I looked at the smugmug site and saw how one can post photos from it that will fit Nomad's size restriction of 800 pixels:

1) Click photo thumbnail photo to share.
2) Click the 'Share' on the lower left of the enlarged photo.
3) Click on 'Copy' to the right of the 'Large' link from the many choices (Tiny to Original) for 800 pixel images.
4) Paste that link on your Nomad post by clicking this button: and pasting the link in the place provided that pops up. Click OK.

Multiple photos, add an extra space between the links.

Examples:

This is an 800 pixel wide photo, 200 less than the ones first posted in this thread.

More from Harard...

Mission San Luis Gonzaga Chiriyaqui, founded July 14, 1737:

Just wonderful, thank you!

[Edited on 11-18-2014 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 04:09 PM

David,
I post all my pics from Smugmug and don't have to diddle around with any of that. :light:

And Harald posted pics on his own as well...

[Edited on 11-18-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 05:01 PM

so many pictures - so little time

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
David,
I post all my pics from Smugmug and don't have to diddle around with any of that. :light:

And Harald posted pics on his own as well...

[Edited on 11-18-2014 by motoged]

Yes... but if you don't pick the LARGE (800 pixel) link to post on Nomad, and put up the original (1000 pixel+) link... you stretch the page OFF the screen. Nomad is 800 pixels wide, not my doing, but common on forums. The text on this page as well as Harold's posted pics are stretched off the monitor, requiring sideways scrolling... or reducing screen size making reading and viewing less that appealing.

90% of the Nomads have honored this request by Doug, and I try to show how easy it is to post the correct size photos to help others.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 07:45 PM

hey David, treat yourself to a good size monitor
I buy them used and none has ever failed

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 08:08 PM

Yes, scrolling the page sideways an inch or two is such a chore. :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
hey David, treat yourself to a good size monitor
I buy them used and none has ever failed

Well, it's not hard to pick the correct link, I was only offering assistance. Doug can come here and resize it for you, as he does in other threads... Just trying to save him the effort.

I sent you a u2u question about the mission photos earlier...

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Great way to go is La Paz to Evaristo, then over the mountains through Mission San Luis Gonzaga to the highway and back to La Paz. Several small villages and very nice people.
I looked all over for that road over the mountains last year but never found it so just retraced my way back home.

In Memory of E-57
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 09:49 AM

Google Earth is a great way to pre-plan your trip on back country roads, as you can see all roads and note the GPS at forks and junctions using your mouse.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 11:28 AM

If you preload where you are going into your tablet or smart phone (if it has GPS) you can use Google Earth off line with no connection to wifi nor phone service. Turn on GPS and GE will show where you are. Google maps will do the same thing. I use a Galaxy 11 inch tablet to oversee where I may be going on GE, then turn on the GPS and get unlost. GE lets you store 2 GB of data, so don't use stuff you won't need. Preload, zoom in and out to the levels you will want over terrain you will be on. Dirt roads in Baja show up very well on GE. There are ways with a laptop to store data from GE in files so you can save chunks of 2 GB GE data and therefore be on an extended trip. 2 GB covers lots of getting unlost terrain.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 11:56 AM

Alan, the road/trail is easier to spot heading south down the grade into the first arroyo south of San Evaristo.
The access to it probably changes with every flood or road repair, but generally you need to head up the arroyo looking for a place to double back to find the cut heading kind of southeast up the ridge. It is more or less across the arroyo from the road to San Evaristo.
Hope that helps.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 02:31 PM

I've added my trip report in Trip Reports. It refers to this thread as well.

The link is http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=76653#pid9512...
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 06:15 PM
Current Road Conditions: La Paz to San Evaristo

Hi:

It's been a couple of years since I last posted. Personal and job situations have lead me to move to Tennessee ... so no Baja trips from there.

I am planning a trip to San Evaristo from La Paz in mid-October with some amigos from Mexico City. We don't have a of of money, so plan to rent a VW Jetta. I've read through the thread and everybody seems to say that 2WD SUV can make the trip. I need some opinions:

Can I make this trip in a VW Jetta (coastal route from La Paz to San Evaristo)?

Also, another quick question about San Evaristo: we are planning to hire a Panga for some exploration/fishing. From my research, it seems as though there are some fisherman in San Evaristo who are willing to take tourist out. Anybody know if these guys have fishing poles? I'm used to the Panga captains in BOLA and other areas having fishing poles ... but Evaristo is not exactly a hot tourist destination.

Any information will be helpful ... and I will post a trip report ... "my return to Baja".
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 07:42 PM

I visited about 2 years ago and visited with several panga fishermen. I did not see any rods or reels. Bring EVERYTHING you will need, food, beer, water, tackle, sleeping bag, tent, etc. Start with a full tank of gas of course.

Always nice to bring these guys some tackle, line, weights - everything will be appreciated.

I was in a Tacoma 4WD. Jetta would be too little clearance for my comfort.

A pretty place!!

Have fun!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 09:53 PM

Preston, I have been there a couple of times, and I agree with SD that unless you are able to pre-arrange something, you will be in a fantastic place with whatever you brought with you.

As far as the Jetta, the locals drive cars like that in there 'IF' the road is in good shape. Driving a fully loaded rental car in there,,,well at least you will have two or three guys to push!

As I stated earlier in this thread, I drove my Kia Sportage in there in 2wd shortly after a storm, but it was just me and my dog and an ice chest in a rig with pretty good tires, gears, and clearance.

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 07:31 AM

Preston,
If you want your trip to go without a hitch, then get 4WD.
If you can't afford it, then go as far as you can comfortably go and have a picnic. The scenery is great up till you hit the squirrelly hills. Then it's deep dirt on the other side to San Evaristo. It is a beautiful village, but finding anything there is a treasure hunt with little result.
Go, but go in safety and resources.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.