Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Traveling Solo W/dog
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 02:08 PM

SDguy, That bear spray may wind up causing you more trouble than salvation. I have dealt with coyotes most of my life in Northern CA, and around Anchorage AK, and the ones down here are smaller and seem less aggressive than their northern cousins. If you are close enough to spray one, I can almost guarantee you will be hitting it in the butt as it hauls out of there!
Having said that, if there is a pack of them, keep your dog on a leash!
I have seen quite a few, heard a lot more, I love it!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 04:49 PM

We own a large German shepherd who works with me in the woods every day. He never fights with other dogs. He got into at least 6 major dog fights down there last winter. Baja dogs have some attitude for sure.

We had coyotes near our camp at one place but nothing came of it. Great place for dogs! They run for miles on the beach.

Bear spray is great people trying to steal your car (personal experience)but not so good for coyotes.

[Edited on 11-21-2014 by Ribbonslinger]
reneske
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 05:09 PM

Make sure you have Mexican Car Insurance as your US insurance most likely will not cover you out of the US. We always buy Mexican Car Insurance through Costco before we head for Mexico.
SDGUY

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribbonslinger
We own a large German shepherd who works with me in the woods every day. He never fights with other dogs. He got into at least 6 major dog fights down there last winter. Baja dogs have some attitude for sure.

We had coyotes near our camp at one place but nothing came of it. Great place for dogs! They run for miles on the beach.

Bear spray is great people trying to steal your car (personal experience)but not so good for coyotes.

[Edited on 11-21-2014 by Ribbonslinger]

You're telling me that your dog was attacked 6 times in a few months? Were there any injuries, or was it just a lot of noise? Could it be that strays are just a lot less likely to back down than the wuss dogs he meets at home?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 08:01 PM

I think that says a lot about that shepherd! This is the fourth trip my dog and I have made, and not one fight! There are far too many strays running loose, but aggressive dogs seem to be culled from the pack.

I just re read ribbonslingers post, sorry I missed the part about your dog not being a fighter. I can't explain why he gets in fights down here and my girl doesn't. She has always been sort of an alpha female, but not down here.

All I can think is that your guy must think he is guarding you. Sorry about trash talking him!

[Edited on 11-22-2014 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 08:58 PM

Not sure why but dogs just wanted to scrap with him. No injuries.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 08:59 PM
baja dog fights

Im with my fourth Baja dog and keep a sharp eye out at all times for other dogs 24/7 !! and not one fight yet..and its gonna stay that way !! I also train my dogs to come running when I pick up a rock and the other dogs tear outta dodge... Baja used to have SOooooo many strays _ (perro de calle) that ran around in packs and could be aggressive once in blue moon... most street dogs in Baja not to be "muy bravo" most newer folks don't know the many times the locals would set out poison hot dogs for the many street dogs with the blessing of the "delegado" that was tough pill to sallow as a dog dude !! tip..never,ever leave you dog tied up and your not there to protect him/her.................

[Edited on 11-22-2014 by captkw]

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:34 PM

I travel with my cat but my solution would apply to a dog as well.

After worrying about him every time I let him out in the desert, I broke down and spent the money for a radio collar and direction finder from LoCATor. It wasn't cheap. The collars cost $50 per animal and the hand held direction finder is $250. The collars each have their own frequency and the hand unit has a selector switch.

It has changed our per owner lives completely. Time and again, the little snot would hide under a bush twenty feet way where I couldn't see him and laugh at me. Now, it's "Time to come in!"

Range is up to a 1/4 mile in open terrane. A couple of hundred yards in rough country.

Best investment in animal travel I ever made.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 09:35 PM

Mexican dogs, stray or not, are not the problem. I traveled many years with dogs in Baja, and the ONLY troubles I ever had was with gringo's dogs. A dog is only as smart as its' owner, and there are some DUMB DAWGS in gringolandias. No manners. Mexican dogs have manners.

The only 'stray' problem you will have is diseases, have your baby well-vaccinated, and LEASHED when around gringo dogs. Over the years I've seen many an establishment that used to allow 4-legged kids in have now posted 'no dogs allowed' signs, thanks to their owners, not the dogs (hint). IF your dog is allowed into a public place (Mexicano) keep the peace, all will be well.

Bear spray? Once again, don't start your trip with too much paranoia.

Don't worry, be happy. Day at a time. All will be well, unless you fork it up before hand.. ;) :lol:

[Edited on 11-22-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 11:09 PM

If you visit any beaches, be sure to keep an eye out for dead puffer fish. I've known a couple of dogs that have died as a result of eating them. I keep hydrogen peroxide and a turkey baster to induce vomiting, just in case.

Also, if your dog is injured and there isn't a vet in the town you're in, you can often times get basic medical help from the local clinic. The clinic in Bahia de Los Angeles was a great help to us with our dog this past summer. We felt silly walking in with a dog issue, but when we were greeted by a dog in the examining room, we knew we were going to be ok. (It was the doctor's puppy)

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 22-11-2014 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 06:53 AM

welcome to 2014...

https://www.pettracker.com/pet-products

your solution

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 09:24 AM

Bob,
I believe that tracker needs cell coverage. Probably good here in Mulege as long as you sort out getting it to work with our local provider but not so good in a bunch of places.
I do so much camping out in the sticks that I decided not to go that way.
Mike
Oasis 511
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 09:32 AM

It appears your dog is doing a great job keeping you in line and out of trouble. Must be a Sheppard. :D
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 01:03 PM

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 05:11 PM

Don't let your dog ride in the front passenger area. It is illegal and inviting a ticket or opportunity for a shakedown by police.
However, if you are a local rancher, it appears that the limit is 2 dogs, one goat and 3 or 4 chickens ;D

Rabies vaccination certificates are sometimes asked for. AFAIK, Mexico recognizes them as valid for 1 year. Versus 1 to 3 years in the USA.

Be careful about letting your dog run around off-leash. Rattlesnakes are ubiquitous in Baja. Dogs stick their nose into everything, typically with no fear.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 07:09 PM
dogs

Robbinslinger..if that good looking dog of yours is more than 15 kilos..folks might give you a clear steer..and the check points will ask you to remove your dog for checking...Tip #1 have a few spots on your ride were you can carabine your dog # 2 have many leases all over your rig and camp #3 always have a few rocks set aside to throw at strays that wont take off on there own easy.....remember most are just hungry and not looking for a fight..I've found that the packs are the problems..keep that in mind,,have FUN...K&T (Baja dog #4)TASHA
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 07:19 PM

Brian is 35 kg or 80 lbs. Gentle as a kitten really.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 07:23 PM
thats funny

I went by that name (brian) till I left home at 11 yrs old..and I was (am) a scrapper...nothing wrong at all with a mellow dog...been over 25 years,, that a dog of mine (ex wifes) dog has been in a fight..Thats my job !!...K&T
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.