BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12
Author: Subject: Hwy. 5 pavement south of Gonzaga Bay Reports (2007 to 2016 added)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Nice work on the maps! Thanks for the info...

Thanks, I posted them before when I made them after my July trip, but they seemed in need of sharing again here.
Happy Holidays!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 09:24 PM

Awesome information David. You are an incredible resource for those traveling the peninsula.

Thank You!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  
Awesome information David. You are an incredible resource for those traveling the peninsula.

Thank You!!

You are very welcome, often the information is correct, too! LOL:lol:

I hope you guys will like the new book, too... working a lot on it lately!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 10:23 PM

We have a 17" Casita travel trailer and would like to drive Hwy 5 to where it joins Hwy 1 at Laguna Chapala. If there are only 20 miles of rough road, will we be better off to take the new route, or follow the old route through Coco's Corner? It is a single axle trailer, but we can lower the air pressure and drive slowly. We want to get some dental work done at Los Algodonas so this would be the best route if it won't kill our trailer.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2015 at 11:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
We have a 17" Casita travel trailer and would like to drive Hwy 5 to where it joins Hwy 1 at Laguna Chapala. If there are only 20 miles of rough road, will we be better off to take the new route, or follow the old route through Coco's Corner? It is a single axle trailer, but we can lower the air pressure and drive slowly. We want to get some dental work done at Los Algodonas so this would be the best route if it won't kill our trailer.

There is no other route to Hwy 1 then via Coco's Corner. The highway bypass around Coco's is a long way from being open... and when it is open, it will be a paved highway. Any trailer over a rocky, graded road is not going to do well. How long can you drive at 5 mph.... 4 hours?

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 04:00 AM

I concur. I think that road over the hill from Cocos to Rt. 1 would rearrange things in your trailer pretty badly. As David says, how long can you drive at low speeds.

If you have an automatic transmission you might get away with it. I towed an eight foot single axle cargo trailer through early last May with no damage to the trailer but the banging and bouncing set off a fire extinguisher in there and I'm still finding white power in unexpected places. It took two+ hours to go twenty miles and I felt that I was pushing it. I did pass two semis and had no tire damage. I did zig zag all over the place to dodge pointy rocks.

The up side is not that you save than much distance or even time compared to jumping back across the border at Algodones, heading over to Tecate on I-8 and coming down through Ensenada. What you do avoid is all of that visually depressing mess from Ensenada to El Rosario where the real baja starts. Nothing but dust, plastic bags and poverty.

I will be headed North the end of April with an empty trailer. My decision will be based more on whether I want to put up with crossing at Mexicali rather than Tecate. I strongly dislike being pestered by vendors while waiting. Tecate offers up the minimum of that.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 06:01 AM

I use this road all the time. Many times with a flatbed trailer. I see travel trailers using it in the last year. But I have patience and can travel at 5mph for long distances. Actually, 5-10 MPH.

Oh and the semi's seem to have patience as well.

[Edited on 12-16-2015 by rts551]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 06:23 AM

Just drove that route for the first time this week. We normally tow a travel trailer North to stay in when in the U.S. No trailer this time so we gave it a go. I wouldn't have a problem towing a flat bed, or small open utility trailer on the dirt stretch (slow going), but not a travel trailer. You'll definitely damage something.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 09:56 AM

Nuf said for me No TT right now

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 08:53 PM

came through this morning. sorry no selfies, maps or pics (they don't fit). Road is in good shape. 1 1/2 hours taking it easy. 36 degrees this morning in San felipe.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 03:04 PM

Thanks all for your advice. We will need to figure out a different plan.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 03:23 PM

Not too much to figure out if you are going south of Gonzaga Bay... either drive VERY slow for 23 miles or drive the extra ~100+ miles via Ensenada and El Rosario to head south. Even the paved roads in Baja have holes and bumps, however! BAJA became famous because of its rough roads.

Have a great trip and report back on how it was for you when you get home, please.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 05:58 PM

Arent Casitas one of those egg-shaped TTs?

If so, you probably have a lot fewer joints held together with screws and no real skeleton to worry about.

Your built-ins are probably screwed into place but you could remove all the screws and re-set them with blue thread locker and even they would remain in place for that short distance.

Then, just air down to around 15-20 psi in the TT tires and go slow.

This is immensely better than the Ensenada-Chapala alternative, IMO.

David, how are you figuring the ~100 mile difference?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 06:29 PM

If he's in San Felipe, it's a 150 miles to go "the wrong way" to Ensenada and then turn south again.

If he is in Mexicali, then it is the drive to the west coast only to come back to the east coast again, or nearly so at Laguna Chapala. About 100+ extra miles to go south to say L.A. Bay or beyond. Why would all the truckers now be coming through San Felipe if it wasn't a significant savings in distance and time?

If he is in San Diego, then the distance is the same, but he would not have to deal with crossing Ensenada and all the farm towns to the south of there.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 08:31 PM

Hook they are not egg shape but made of Fiberglass. They come in 13-17 foot lengths.

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2015 at 10:43 PM

FYI: Casita Trailers are put together with pop rivets. The theory is that screws stress the fiberglass. The fiberglass is drilled and the cabinets are hung with 3/16" rivets. The rivets will break before doing damage to the fiberglass. I have to replace a few rivets on every Baja trip. This will be the fourth for our Casita. The worst damage so far has been a bent tongue on the trailer. I credit that to some unmarked Topes hit at speed. I have since had the tongue straightened and reenforced.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 10:07 AM

Traveled south a couple of days ago (Sunday) After the big sign we headed down the construction road. Bad decision. Turns out the road is OK but ended at a big construction area we could not pass. (trucks with 4wd). After we got to Asuncion I looked an my SPOT and we got about half way to Chapala on that road. Anyway we back tracked and it cost us about 45 minuted for our detour.
The rest of the dirt road to Chapala is as described by others - no new input. Good enough for several autos we passed.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Traveled south a couple of days ago (Sunday) After the big sign we headed down the construction road. Bad decision. Turns out the road is OK but ended at a big construction area we could not pass. (trucks with 4wd). After we got to Asuncion I looked an my SPOT and we got about half way to Chapala on that road. Anyway we back tracked and it cost us about 45 minuted for our detour.
The rest of the dirt road to Chapala is as described by others - no new input. Good enough for several autos we passed.

ASUNCION? Gonzaga, right?
So, at Las Arrastras, where the Coco's Bypass begins, you must have gone straight instead of curved to the left for Coco's Corner?

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 12:08 PM

I managed to do something similar when I headed down for Thanksgiving. I ended up on the new Highway Route, essentially level with Coco's on the map above and had to find my way down to Coco's.
RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 02:34 PM

So I'm assuming to stay to the left an don't go on the new highway because its not done yet?
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.