Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: so what's with the Mulege River Project / Dam
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 01:47 PM

....sorry Cerveza,,I know '12 gringo homes' was a bit tough,,,but it is a local chuckle about 'who's going to live in the floodplain next'.;)
...anyone with a multi-generational view of Mulege will be aware that there's a reason that that gorge is carved into the coastline and the native population live in some places and not others.

....It's a good point you make about some of the project$ that get completed,,and following the money trail. Maybe I'm wrong but it's my feeling that quite possibly all of those projects together in BajaSud over the past 10 years might not equal the expense of a proper solution for Mulege's battle against nature. Any shortcoming in such a project,,or a major flow event occurring during construction could be both very expensive AND cataclysmic.

It just seems to me that the staw and wood piggies are better off than the stone piggie in this case ...maybe that's why Mulege's holding those pig races these days...competition has always been a good way to keep the population fit and ready! :);)

[Edited on 1-29-2015 by micah202]
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 08:43 AM

BEFORE

10857838_829323223793120_7660975817972973866_n.jpg - 33kB

cervezafrio

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 09:04 AM

WillyAir - Does that picture have a time stamp? Best guess. It is from town looking towards the lighthouse mound? Has any body done a recent Ariel shot to compare. Thanks Stream

Footnote: if the conversation continues the thoughts and ideas are not lost or forgotten. Other wise it becomes a memory.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 09:58 AM

Still looking for a date.
Yes, looking at the lighthouse, from town.
Ariel pics are posted in one of the other dam threads.
Time to add that second story to your casa. The locals are snapping up the lots on high ground along light house road and in the hills beyond the mission. The lots along the highway south of town are also being sold.
If you drive to the top of the mountains toward Paso Hondo, you can see that any dam would be gigantic, not going to happen.
Mulege is changing, moving forward. People are looking at alternate sources of income, instead of depending on tourism. A fertilizer plant has opened up in the valley. The govt is sponsoring growing corn for ethanol here and there are Rumors of other non tourist industries starting.

cervezafrio

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 09:56 PM

Ok I think I am getting the message.. As I mentioned before I am not the fastest. But . So it is the 5 gallon bucket approach, bail out the water as fast as possible. Get to a point where a equilibrium is possible. Then abandon ship and go for high ground. Eventually all the river rats will either learn to swim or be drown out. Since I alone can not bail out fast enough to empty the river valley, I will plug the hole, anchor a house boat to a long line and ride the ups and downs of river bank living.. Thanks every body for your input.. I appreciate the sensible discussion with out all the usual diversionary side / snide remarks... I well close with the old adage of '' stay high and dry '' . Which is more than relevant at this time and space in life......
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 11:40 AM

Any idea if they are going to reconnect the beachfront road (north river road) to the lighthouse and boat ramp?

As of last week there was a large (not passable) gap connecting the estuary to the sea. A lot of fill would be needed.

Anyone hear of any plans?

Lee S
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 12:21 PM

I'm riding my motorcycle out there later today. Will post the results.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 05:26 PM

In past years and floods, the northern winds of winter have helped to close that gap to the lighthouse.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 05:48 PM

Just got back. Still a channel through the spit. The locals say that you can walk across at low tide but that doesn't sound like anything one would want to negotiate with a wheeled vehicle. And the high ground on both sides is deep sand and gravel.

The North road, for those of you not driving it every day, has had a typical mexican treatment. A bunch of silt trucked in followed by a grader followed by everyone driving fast even when it was wet from some rain.

It is probably better than it was a few weeks ago but not much. We'll see what transpires. They seem to be filling in the area behind the old concrete malecon and, ust possibly, there we some final spasm of road building with a hard surface. One can only hope.

Just now the water department came and buried the last bit of exposed pipe just West of Jungla Jim's in front of Janine's on the South road. Of course, they buried it about eight inches deep so give it a week before it starts leaking like the other six places along in front of the Oasis.

The coots really like drinking from the fresh water springs.

Always resources to patch things up but never to do it so it will last. Sigh.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.