Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: so what's with the Mulege River Project / Dam
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 03:16 PM

Any pictures of how that repair is coming along? Sounds like one no longer has to drive through Don Chano's to access the malecon?
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 04:53 PM

The 'lagoon' that remained behind the malecon is now being filled in, probably another few weeks as it will take a lot of earth to fill it.

You can access the malecon without driving through Don Chanos' park, although the Tecate beer trucks are still going that route as I would suppose they might be concerned about their weight on the repairs.
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2015 at 05:06 PM

Thank you for the update!
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 11:22 AM

Thanks to all who replied with solid info on the water diversion project and opinions on what's happening too !

Project updates, photos and continued road repairs along the river roads for access and boat launching are always an added bonus for readers like me.

thanks again

Lee S
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 08:08 PM

River roads and El Patron
The pics below are 800 wide, 450k average at 80 quality
See facebook for larger images.

thumbnail,
for large pic 800 x 3000 go here http://4wheelthrills.com/nomads/PanoDSCN7526_DSCN7532.png
Max, feel free to hotlink

House just past Leon's place, towards town

[Rant]
after batch resizing and placing a size limit of 225k I still get an error trying to upload to the forum.
250k quality is less than stellar

Quote:
Error
Sorry, the file you uploaded exceeds our size limit.

Error
Sorry, the file you uploaded exceeds our size limit.

and you can only upload one file at a time using multi attachment tool. grrrr.

Antique software ... pfff
[/Rant]

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 01:11 AM

.....pictures of the damage to the malecon make me realise just how much -volume- goes through there :o

...I also realize how much of a hermit I am when I'm down in baja...the # of times I've stayed near the lighthouse for a night,,but not connected with the local nomads!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 01:29 AM

Photos look great and they are full size here on Nomad. Linking from another web site is the way to go... no limits on how many photos per post (but good to not do too many for the Nomads on slower Internet).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 08:07 AM

David, the photos are on my server. I was told that the nomad server allows multi attachments is each is 250k or less. If that worked it would be great.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 08:20 AM

Richard, David loves Baja and is trying to help you....

cervezafrio

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 09:32 AM

Mulege recover progress. No not the physical aspect. But the emotional aspect, plus the mental realization of the future. Not sure how a population can keep bouncing back after the last ten years of turmoil. I think that the Mexican culture and the history of survival makes the Mexican people stronger. More resilient than other cultures. I think most towns in California would have quit by now.
I am not sure if the local people are mentally geared up to rebuild their town. To make it better than before. I fear this is a patch and plug process. Do only what is necessary to make life some what normal. Under their understanding of what normal is. Do you nomads think that finally the realization has taken root, that a full blown rebuild is necessary, Is required to move the town forward. That all aspects of flood reduction need to investigated. I do not think any body thinks that we as humans can prevent the consequences of Mother Nature. But just maybe we can take a 10 foot flood and make it a 5 foot flood. That could be doable? - A 50% reduction would give hope and a future back to the Mulege area and it's people. But if the local people do not believe, if the people with more influence do not believe. then how do you convince the people in charge. Believe that it is physically possible and then believe that it is politically possible... I know that in the past I have spoken with any body that will listen. Trying to plant the seed on thought. Trying to help them be forward thinkers. Trying to have them talk between themselves. Helping people to believe that it can be possible.......... Buenas suerte a todos
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cervezafrio  
..snip..... maybe we can take a 10 foot flood and make it a 5 foot flood. That could be doable? - A 50% reduction would give hope and a future back to the Mulege area and it's people. ........

....a 10' flood to a 5' flood?......after studying the surrounding geography, I'm pretty convinced there's no way to safely and effectively reduce the volume of waterflow that goes under that bridge. The best that likely can be achieved is some containment of the flow. ...hence my comment above about channeling.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 06:51 PM

I agree with Micah. While it would be wonderful to slow the flow of the flood, and possibly capture some of the water to be used later, a storm like Odile is likely to cause the containment to fail and make the flood worse!
A plan to stabilize the banks of the flood plane and provide better flow with less debris would hopefully cause less damage in the long run.
But Mother Nature is still going to be a mean mother from time to time.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
cervezafrio

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 09:54 AM

Flood reduction not elimination. What I have been hearing for several years around the drinking table. Which means it has to be true. That the long term idea was several parts together to create some thing more durable. #1 - above the framing valley in three of the canyons placement of dams. But these dams are special to reduce and control water flow. This is guessing, but a dam that is 6 ft high then place water flow openings to release the pressure. Then build higher and place more water over flow outlets ... then maybe again . This way some water is contained [for future use and ground water seepage ] the other water is released in a fashion to slow the flash flood effect. #2 - clean the valley which will help the debris from becoming a wall of destructive trash and palm trees. #3 - Which i believe is critical, is Dredge the Dam River. Take a one foot deep river bed and make it 10 feet deep. [that is the channel you speak of] Yes there are those that will say at high tide what good is that. I think high tide is a short time period. Then the water level changes. Even at high tide the water is more forgiving than a rock/cement block filled river channel. If by luck the flooding occurs at low tide [mas y minus] Then the intensity of the water flow is diminished greatly. With a do all the parts together, then just maybe a 10 foot flash flood will be a 5 foot controlled event. Which is livable compared to the last 10 years.
The up side is all positive. a rebirth of Mulege, New people [money] moving into the area. revitalization of the community. Better jobs and future of the local Mulegena's .. and with a Deeper river the water is flush out with the tide action. So the water will at least look as if it is clean. The small boats can maneuver upstream again. That will really motivate the newbies to invest in the future. ....... But only if the local people believe that it can be done. Other wise what we have is what we will always have. ???//
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 11:29 AM

This is Mike, who once ran his 26' heavy aluminum boat (anchored offshore in this photo) from Oxnard Marina, Ca. to my place at Coyote Bay, then upriver in Mulege to his old home in the Orchard development. It would be nice to see the river become that navigable again.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 11:39 AM

From an engineering standpoint of course a solution to the flooding problem could be accomplished. The problem is not a lack of will on the part of the people who are affected, but rather a financial problem. There simply isn't enough money in all of Baja to keep the roads passable throughout the peninsula and tackle a project to rebuild Mulege and build a system of dams in the higher terrain. It wouldn't be a Hoover Dam sized project but would be very substantial. Proper engineering studies alone would break the bank. After the first hurricane the government as well as the residents stepped up in Mulege big time. It appears they have had enough after the last few. All the folks involved have done their best to recover from the devastation of the past ten years, but it will take a massive amount of money and effort to reverse the damage. Here in the US, up until recently money never seems to be a hindrance in dealing with problems like this. We simply crank up the money presses and print more money. Just my guess, but Mexico seems to be on a more realistic financial path in paying as they go.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
From an engineering standpoint of course a solution to the flooding problem could be accomplished. The problem is not a lack of will on the part of the people who are affected, but rather a financial problem. There simply isn't enough money in all of Baja to keep the roads passable throughout the peninsula and tackle a project to rebuild Mulege and build a system of dams in the higher terrain. It wouldn't be a Hoover Dam sized project but would be very substantial. Proper engineering studies alone would break the bank. After the first hurricane the government as well as the residents stepped up in Mulege big time. It appears they have had enough after the last few. All the folks involved have done their best to recover from the devastation of the past ten years, but it will take a massive amount of money and effort to reverse the damage. Here in the US, up until recently money never seems to be a hindrance in dealing with problems like this. We simply crank up the money presses and print more money. Just my guess, but Mexico seems to be on a more realistic financial path in paying as they go.

A sound evaluation!!! I believe that a "cost/benefit analysis" would kill any significant plans to mitigate the water flow from major future storms in this case.

My Family lost an entire ranch (13 houses & buildings) in Owens Valley on Oak Creek above the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery to a wildfire and then a flood-------all gone, and it is barely recognizable as the same place. We always knew this was a possibility. The Family has walked away-------"cost/benefit analysis" just kills any effort at rebuilding----------we have moved on.

Barry
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
David, the photos are on my server. I was told that the nomad server allows multi attachments is each is 250k or less. If that worked it would be great.

Outstanding photos.....as usual for you.....

U2 in your box.....whichever server is hosting.....:lol:

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  

There is no file size limit (250k) if the photos are hot linked from your web site (or any other web site), but it is requested to not exceed the 800 pixel width of this forum... and your photos are 800 pixels, so perfect!

The file size limit is for attaching photos onto Nomad from your PC folder (Browse or Attach button).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cervezafrio  
Flood reduction not elimination. What I have been hearing for several years around the drinking table. Which means it has to be true. That the long term idea was several parts together to create some thing more durable. #1 - above the framing valley in three of the canyons placement of dams. But these dams are special to reduce and control water flow. This is guessing, but a dam that is 6 ft high then place water flow openings to release the pressure. Then build higher and place more water over flow outlets ... then maybe again . This way some water is contained [for future use and ground water seepage ] the other water is released in a fashion to slow the flash flood effect. #2 - clean the valley which will help the debris from becoming a wall of destructive trash and palm trees. #3 - Which i believe is critical, is Dredge the Dam River. Take a one foot deep river bed and make it 10 feet deep. [that is the channel you speak of] Yes there are those that will say at high tide what good is that. I think high tide is a short time period. Then the water level changes. Even at high tide the water is more forgiving than a rock/cement block filled river channel. If by luck the flooding occurs at low tide [mas y minus] Then the intensity of the water flow is diminished greatly. With a do all the parts together, then just maybe a 10 foot flash flood will be a 5 foot controlled event. Which is livable compared to the last 10 years.
The up side is all positive. a rebirth of Mulege, New people [money] moving into the area. revitalization of the community. Better jobs and future of the local Mulegena's .. and with a Deeper river the water is flush out with the tide action. So the water will at least look as if it is clean. The small boats can maneuver upstream again. That will really motivate the newbies to invest in the future. ....... But only if the local people believe that it can be done. Other wise what we have is what we will always have. ???//

..yes, as Lancia says...''of course a solution to the flooding problem could be accomplished.''...but at what cost?

The thought of any sort of dam up above is darn scary....unless it's a full-on 'hoover-type' dam. Anything less than solid concrete could be undermined by waterflow and create a monster cataclysm in some circumstances.
...your suggestion of dredging would of course be very nice for life between storms,,,definitely would complete the shangriLa effect nicely,,,but pictures of the malecon damage demonstrate clearly that it'd take not only dredging but likely a concrete channel with good-height walls........ to do what,,keep the ~dozen gringo homes safe?? :wow::lol::yes::no:

....what impresses me the most of the native population is their resiliency. They well put the 3little pigs to shame and just keep things simple,rebuild when necessary!

[Edited on 1-28-2015 by micah202]
cervezafrio

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 09:54 AM

It took me 50 years to finally realize that it is always ''about the money'' I might be a slow learning but having money as the bottom line of life was hard concept to accept. Especially when there are other excellent qualities of life to enjoy.
But at least in keeping the post alive, I have received some agreement that it could be done... Where before it was a unbelievable concept. Remember it is only a 10' to 5' wish list. It is not only about 'a dozen gringo homes' it is the entire area. The valley people suffer, Loma Azul people complain about access and services. The locals complain about not enough money, no work etc. The flood affect all not just a few river gringos.
Back to the money. Everybody in the entire area, locals and foreign do not have enough money to solve the problem and never will. That is one of the reasons for a centralized government. To help its people in need. [not to micro manage their lives]. I have seen this government spend millions of dollars in other parts of Baja. Some of it to good use, helping it's people to have better lives. But the flip side I have seem millions spent of 'fluff and curb appeal' projects that do nothing but improve the surface image. The Malecon in Loreto took several years to finish but did it improve the traffic flow? the parking problems at happy hour?, the smell of sewage at the intersection next to the Mission hotel .. no, no and no. The widening of the road all the way out to the new hotel in Ligui . Is that for a better life for the locals? no The turning Loreto in to a 'Magic town' . Creating a more attractive entrance off of Highway 1 .. Did not make it safer crossing the road. This list of expensive so called improvement for the people can be repeated in other areas and towns ..... What did they say about money ..'' follow the money '' Then we will know the why of it all.
Getting the government to be involved in a significant manner is the hurdle to jump. People talking together and convincing this to the people in charge is a start. And if they do not hear you the first time, tell them again, and again ... What was it about the 'squeaky wheel' the nagging other in one's life. Great motivator's..... Or we can adopt the 'manana' attitude.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.