Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Santo Junipero Serra
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
There you go again Sarge, You quit before and only came back to sell your Amazon book.

Now you show us more arrogance and twisted research by telling us non Christians then and now lead empty useless lives.

Vegas isn't far from California -- you can redeem yourself by a long visit at the California Historical Society which will hopefully open your eyes to the splendor of proud people from Alaska southward whose lives paint a story of peaceful occupation and reverence for the land, the animals and their own private spirits.

......to be subjugated by people of superior believes and weaponry, whose descendants, in turn, repeated the same atrocities by destabilizing most of the middle east and north Africa with their superior government style.
Loss of innocent lives being of no consequence.

[Edited on 5-8-2015 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 04:10 PM

Observations while reading this string:

What do Conservatives mean when they refer to Liberals as "Elite"?
In my opinion, the word is parroted by the usual, typical, non-original thinking posters who get their information from Faux News, Limbaugh, etc. They do not really know the meaning of the word.

Elite: Elite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EliteCached

In political and sociological theory, an elite is a small group of people who control a disproportionate amount of wealth or political power. In general ...

Found in Google search:

"When American conservatives speak of the "liberal elite," they use
"elite" as a pejorative, ignoring its denotative sense as simply a
group of people that, because of their education, position, power, or
wealth, wield influence far greater than the rank and file within any
given larger group of which they are a part. Instead, they usually
limit the liberal elite to the intelligentsia of the NE corridor of
the United States (e.g., journalists and academics) and the activist
moguls, directors, and actors that make up the most politically vocal
segment of the Hollywood set."

Again, found in a Google search:

"Is there an analogous "conservative elite," and, if so, how would one define it?

My initial inclination is to define two variants, as follows:

1) Certain non-govt persons who can be individually identified as
influential proclaimers of conservatism as the political philosophy
best for America. Some examples:

Rush Limbaugh
Ann Coulter
George Will
Bill Buckley
Bill Kristol
Richard Perle
Fellows of the American Enterprise Institute, the Heritage Foundation,
and the Cato Institute
CEOs of Fortune 500 companies (most of them)

2) The whole sub-class of upper-crust conservatives who have prospered
especially well by following such a political-economic philosophy and
who, as a result, wield a good deal of political influence either up
front or from behind the scenes.

Power elite is a term used by American sociologist C. Wright Mills to describe a relatively small, loosely connected group of individuals who dominate American policymaking. This group includes bureaucratic, corporate, intellectual, military, media, and government elites who control the principal institutions in the United States and whose opinions and actions influence the decisions of the policymakers.[15]

The basis for membership of a power élite is institutional power, namely an influential position within a prominent private or public organization.[citation needed] One study (published in 2002) of power élites in the United States under President George W. Bush (in office 2001-2009) identified 7,314 institutional positions of power encompassing 5,778 individuals..."

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 04:23 PM

"Elite" when used by me earlier describes the "group" who think they are better than everyone else or superior to others. That only they are wise enough to know how the rest of us should live... while they live however they wish, using any resources needed for their lifestyle... having more while asking us to do with less.

300 years ago, the Spanish and Europeans were the elite in the New World... of course before them, the Aztec kings and other Indian nobility were the elite.

Now, it is often those with wealth or those followers who do the intellectual bidding of the wealthy, who instruct all others to do with less, while they enjoy having more. ELITE

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 04:33 PM
GOOD AND EVIL AS RELIGIOUS IDEAS.

The word "evil" has been used in this string.

From the book, Sacred Texts:

"THIS WORLD OF OURS is a world of opposites. There is light and shade, there is heat and cold, there is good and evil, there is God and the Devil."

So, in their world, if evil, you are the opposite of good. It is a value judgement based on a narrow interpretation of their belief system. It is a self righteous declaration.

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
Believe whatever you want, "just don't scare the horses".
:lol:

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
"Elite" when used by me earlier describes the "group" who think they are better than everyone else or superior to others. That only they are wise enough to know how the rest of us should live... while they live however they wish, using any resources needed for their lifestyle...

Yet another TOPPER.

Kind of like asking about "is it so hard to sign up for facebook?" ...and repeat the same question, as if it had any relevance whatsoever? Ever try to get off of facebook? It took me 6 months and a lot of internet jogging to get the hell away from you elitists.

"Can't you just be like me?" is what you're really asking. It must be wonderful to be you.

Geezo, I wish I could be just like you.

[Edited on 5-9-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

sargentodiaz
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 10:55 AM

I have never inferred that California Indians lived useless lives!

All I ever indicated was their desperation to live day by day without the skills necessary to get them through droughts, floods, or other disasters.

I have also not judged their belief system as most of them had no words for anything beyond what they could see, taste, smell, or hear.

Some of their basketwork was awesome. The Chumash were master boat builders - for less than one day voyages. There is no record of them having gone beyond the Channel Islands - places further away that they could not see or imagine.

They showed no interest in trading with other tribes to the east or even among themselves. They did try to explain some natural events with myths such as a turtle holding up the world and earthquakes coming when it got tired and had to shift its stance.

In other words, their "rich culture" had no imagination or desire to improve beyond their Stone Age existence.

If that is being derogative, then let it be so.

[Edited on 5-10-2015 by sargentodiaz]

Father Serra\'s Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com a History of California and the Franciscan missions.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sargentodiaz  
I have never inferred that California Indians lived useless lives!

All I ever indicated was their desperation to live day by day without the skills necessary to get them through droughts, floods, or other disasters.

I have also not judged their belief system as most of them had no words for anything beyond what they could see, taste, smell, or hear.

Some of their basketwork was awesome. The Chumash were master boat builders - for less than one day voyages. There is no record of them having gone beyond the Channel Islands - places further away that they could not see or imagine.

They showed no interest in trading with other tribes to the east or even among themselves. They did try to explain some natural events with myths such as a turtle holding up the world and earthquakes coming when it got tired and had to shift its stance.

In other words, their "rich culture" had no imagination or desire to improve beyond their Stone Age existence.

If that is being derogative, then let it be so.

[Edited on 5-10-2015 by sargentodiaz]
If they didn't possess the skills to get them through "droughts, floods, and other disasters", how did they manage to survive for thousands of years in an inhospitable place like Baja? The myth of a turtle holding up the world isn't any more far fetched than God creating the earth in 6 days or many of the other Biblical myths.

[Edited on 5-10-2015 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.