Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: temporary resident paperchase
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
after a few years (they go by so fast) you will get a permanent status

They won't necessarily get it after a few years. They will have to "apply" for permanent residency, or reverse back to being a tourist. Perm is a separate new application with higher fees and higher financial requirements. Makes sense skipping the temp residency and apply for permanent from the beginning.

[Edited on 4-18-2015 by Alm]
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 02:54 PM

As you don't currently have any status, you MUST start the process for temporary residence outside Mexico (at a consulate or embassy). You can't do it from within Mexico, now. There are various ways to qualify, regular income of a certain amount, money in the bank, etc. Each consulate will apply the rules slightly differently.

Those that say you need to have an FMM and then start the process in Ensenada are referring to the old FM3 process (before 2012). Doesn't work like that anymore.

The consulate or embassy will give you a visa, when you are approved. You then need to enter Mexico within 180 days of the issue of that, and have it stamped at the border. Within 30 days of entry you need to go to the INM office in your part of Mexico, where they are then supposed to issue your Temporary Residence card based on the approval you've already received.

In practice there may be more paperwork at the local office, and it may take a while. They'll issue you a one year or up to four year temporary residence card (go for the longest you can get, it costs more but is cheaper in the long run).

Once you have four years on a temporary residence card (either one card, or extensions), you qualify for permanent residence on that basis alone. You do NOT need to qualify for the higher financial limits of permanent residence - the four years on temporary residence is an alternative to that, no further financial proof needed (officially, but some offices add their own rules).

Another option, if you qualify with higher money amounts, is to apply for the permanent residence visa straight away (outside Mexico, at a consulate). The consulate may be less happy to grant it, but they should (or you may need to shop around consulates). Like the TR visa, you then need to change the PR visa for a PR card at your local INM office in Mexico (within time limits).

Rob
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 03:32 PM

Good job, Rion. Veni, vidi, vici.
I still think they'll have to re-qualify for PR financially after they have done their 4 years in TR, but this probably varies from office to office.
No worries, in 4 years the regulations will change anyway :)
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 04:40 PM

The link I posted above clarifies all the requirements. The regional offices do not make the decisions for PR visas, but may require proof of income to cover their butt. The final decisions for BCS are made in LaPaz.
If you own property or have been here for 4 years, or can show a substantial savings/income,you may qualify to apply for PR with out having a TR, as Rob said.
A PR doesn`t need to be renewed. Temp and Perm visas are a simple process, that you can do yourself.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 06:00 PM

To qualify for TR, you need to have approximately $US 100,000 in savings, and for PR you need $US 125,000. If somebody plans to live longer than 4 years, I don't see much sense paying hundreds dollars for TR, and then again for PR if you can get PR up front. Note that numbers are approximate because the actual numbers in regulations are in pesos.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
Temp and Perm visas are a simple process, that you can do yourself.

Yes. Other than letter in Spanish explaining your reasons for resident visa, that you can ask somebody to write. I would also imagine that for some (or many?) gringos filling the TR or PR application could present a challenge, when all they know is "hola" and "dos servezas" :)
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 06:50 AM

To qualify for a TR ......
Copyed and paste from the Rolly Brook site
Income Requirements The Residente Temporal income requirement is a monthly income from outside México equal to 300 times the basic minimum wage in México City. . For 2015 the min wage is $70.10 pesos. So the min monthly income requirement for one person in 2015 is $21,030 pesos. See the note below for the family plan. . 300 x $70.10 = $21,030, about USD$1,500 at 14:1 exchange rate The financial requirement can also be met by submitting an original and copy of proof of investments or bank accounts with average monthly balance equivalent to five thousand days of general minimum wage during the last twelve months. 5,000 x $70.10 = $350,500 about USD$25,000 at 14:1 exchange rate

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:25 PM

Looks like something changed.
Here is a good summary on current requirements for TR and PR: Here. Some numbers are updated in 2015, and some are not.

Minimum income for a spouse of TR applicant varies from zero to $US 530 and more, depending on INM office and consulate.

Property value technically should not be considered unless you are a refugee, and even for refugees it only allows to reduce minimum income in half and only if home is worth more than $US 200K. In reality they may reduce income in half even if you're not a refugee and if property is worth less than 200K. Or they may not.

Good luck!
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 06:44 PM

I'm a bit confused, hoping Udo or someone can clarify!

We went to Mex Consulate here in Seattle, to apply for Residencia Temporal and we were issued Visas that are pasted into our passports for one entry, and it's good for 6 months. And then we were told, we have to complete this process in Mexico of getting the actual RT, which we plan to do.

So it seems to me, we don't need to stop at the border before crossing into Baja to get a FMM, because we already have one and paid for this Visa in the States. And we already proved income requirement and all of that at Consulate in Seattle...hope we are good to go!!

But thinking we should stop at border anyways, because we need to get passport stamped as it is only good for one entry and they need to know when that entry is.

I think we understand this, but want to make sure we do.....LOL!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 09:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaLuna  
I'm a bit confused, hoping Udo or someone can clarify!

We went to Mex Consulate here in Seattle, to apply for Residencia Temporal and we were issued Visas that are pasted into our passports for one entry, and it's good for 6 months. And then we were told, we have to complete this process in Mexico of getting the actual RT, which we plan to do.

So it seems to me, we don't need to stop at the border before crossing into Baja to get a FMM, because we already have one and paid for this Visa in the States. And we already proved income requirement and all of that at Consulate in Seattle...hope we are good to go!!

But thinking we should stop at border anyways, because we need to get passport stamped as it is only good for one entry and they need to know when that entry is.

I think we understand this, but want to make sure we do.....LOL!

You've answered your own question. Whatever "visas" they issued, you need to stop at the border to stamp the entry. Show them what you have and make it clear that you are IMMIGRATING and therefore not a tourist.
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2015 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Carlos and Gabby Victorica, Ensenada

Carlos Victoria
646-112-5408
646-154-2962
carlosvictorica7@hotmail.com

go to Carlos and have him help you do it.
not expensive and what you pay its worth his knowledge and experience dealing with INM office in Ensenada.

not sure if the numbers listed above are still current
I have from US
011-52-646-175-7893 office
011-52-1-646-183-9901 cel

and email migratoryprocedures@hotmail.com

those are current and working contact numbers. Best try the cel
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2015 at 06:55 AM

You're probably perfectly "legal" with a 150-day tourist visa, BUT if you feel you must get on the residency visa bandwagon, go here: https://mexitel.sre.gob.mx/citas.webportal/pages/public/regi...

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-21-2015 at 08:56 AM
P.R.

There's ben a lot of changes, Some of the facilitators are not aware of. There is several web sites that break it down pretty good.
Over the years I have found they will give you what you ask for and make no attempt to explain your other options. as you can see by the post on this thread everyone has a somewhat different opinion.
We are in the process of going P.R. it's way simple .for retirees they have really streamlined the process.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2015 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
There's ben a lot of changes, Some of the facilitators are not aware of. There is several web sites that break it down pretty good.
Over the years I have found they will give you what you ask for and make no attempt to explain your other options.

Since the consulate is now the first step (for somebody without previous status), it's hard to understand what the facilitators can help with, other than filling the application. I would "guess" that they could offer additional knowledge based on "behavior" of different consulates, but this would be useful only if they dealt with your particular consulate recently.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-21-2015 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Over the years I have found they will give you what you ask for and make no attempt to explain your other options.

Since the consulate is now the first step (for somebody without previous status), it's hard to understand what the facilitators can help with, other than filling the application. I would "guess" that they could offer additional knowledge based on "behavior" of different consulates, but this would be useful only if they dealt with your particular consulate recently.

Years ago we went through the Initial process ourselves you wouldn't believe the Obstacles. and could probably do it again but why bother Its over now and we wont have to do it again.
the fee the facilitator charges is well worth it .
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2015 at 04:16 PM

Years ago we went through the Initial process ourselves you wouldn't believe the Obstacles. and could probably do it again but why bother Its over now and we wont have to do it again.
the fee the facilitator charges is well worth it .

I've always done my own visas directly with immigration. No worries - ever. I've found the immigration people willing and helpful.

A paid facilitator in Mexico seems unnecessary, particularly now that new residency visas must be initiated in the US at a Mexican consulate.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2015 at 06:35 PM

Years ago we went through the Initial process ourselves you wouldn't believe the Obstacles.

It's more civilized now then years ago. Also, a lot more online info from both consulates and expat web. When they change the system again, there will be a period of confusion again.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.