BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Great White butchered...
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 05:25 PM
It's what they do!!!!

Pompano---Why be so sad? Those guys are shark fisherman and they caught a large shark that will bring them well over $1000.00dls. Maybe they took the money and went back down south. All sharks are endangered in the cortez. Why do the authorties have to do anything? I do not see the difference between one white or say 50 threshers that all add up to the same weight. It's what they do for a living and it is there country. Any time you can keep the government from sticking it's stinking nose into peoples business you are better off. fishin rich
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 06:06 PM

When I was in Mulege over Christmas I personally saw over fifty small hammerheads being brought in and cleaned. Very sad, but tasty. I bought the largest one for 100 pesos and eat him for dinner. Fava beans not included.:yes:
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 06:13 PM

"Very sad but tasty"
You're killing me here!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 06:19 PM

:lol::lol::lol:...yummy......
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 06:51 PM

Yes, Pompano, also a yummy fish by the way. It sucks! That people can kill these fish that are not even supposed to be in the cortez? Trust me, when you see one under your boat you will wish there were more shark fishermen. I only wonder how Great White tastes, but I made a pact with them. I won't eat them if they don't eat me.:lol:
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 10:23 PM
Mi Tio

That great white looked an awful lot like my uncle. My aunt will be very upset.:(

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
That great white looked an awful lot like my uncle. My aunt will be very upset.:(

If your uncle really resembles a shark I don't see how your aunt could be too upset.:biggrin:

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 10:36 PM

I've eaten great white. It's very mealy. When you filet it, it's hard to hold in your hands..it wants to ooze between your fingers. Think Mako but even more mealy. As for taste and texture, it's tough. Especially the bigger ones. If you marinate it for too long it just disintegrates. Personally, I stay away from sharks. Skates have a better texture and will soak up a sauce better. I hate swordfish. If you've spent anytime fileting swordfish, you'd know about the fist size tumors that lodge in their meat....disgusting stuff...I prefer taking the worms out of Halibut anyday. As for Halibut, the cold water ones are better than the warm water ones. You have to cook the warms very quickly. Same for ling cod. As for baja, my favorite are the red sculpins! Very sweet, but throw back everything under 4#, cuz the smaller one's meat flakes too fast when cooking. As you know, there are very few 4+#'s around, however I do know of one pacific rivermouth in the midriff. I also like the groupers. Some are very moist and sweet. Triggers are cool, but it takes a chain saw to fillet them! I'll never turn down a wahoo or a tuna or a jack either. Come to think f it, those little rock bass you find in about 30 feet are pretty tasty too..chinameras or something? (no..that's a fireplace).....

Now where's my tequilla.......

:rolleyes:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-9-2005 at 05:57 AM

Mako my day!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2005 at 06:01 AM

Mako my day!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2005 at 06:06 AM

Good diving north of San Marcos...
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2005 at 12:57 PM
I gotta say,

I broke my rule of the last 20 or so years of not eating shark to enjoy the hammerhead BBQ done by MeNo.
It was delicious and I guess I will find out if the live sharks know I broke my end of the deal the next time I am snorkeling!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 02:57 PM
Bone ta pick

Make that cartilage. As I was out of town (u know where) a while back I missed these posts and was a bit startled to say the least at some of the Nomads posts/responses in this thread:http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=7861

jrbaja wrote:
Quote:

I broke my rule of the last 20 or so years of not eating shark to enjoy the hammerhead BBQ done by MeNo

Me No wrote:
Quote:

Very sad, but tasty. I bought the largest one for 100 pesos

The Sculpin wrote:
Quote:

posted on 1-9-2005 at 05:36 AM
I've eaten great white. It's very mealy. When you filet it, it's hard to hold in your hands..it wants to ooze between your fingers. Think Mako but even more mealy.

fishinrich wrote:
Quote:

I do not see the difference between one white or say 50 threshers that all add up to the same weight. It's what they do for a living and it is there country

Pompano wrote:
Quote:

The fishermen have received an offer of about $500 for it's jaws

This is what helps drive the market, not salted, dried meat. Remember tortoise shell combs?

I/we possess sharks jaws caught and donated by fishermen friends but I feel remorse when I look at them.... now

Cmon you guys.....

It could be compared to the plight of the whales and their near extinction.
Iam afraid there is a mindset concerning the taking and eating of shark.
Trust me I'm no saint and Iam sure I have eaten or sampled more types of sharks in my culinary quest than most. GUILTY as charged. That was before, before I got myself informed. It can become a personal issue when the "fresh catch" of the day is shark. I can tell you that there are many delicious species out there like Thresher or Shovelnose and very unsavory types as Blue or G. White. It is a conundrum for Americans in Mexico and America too. Should we or shouldn't we partake? That is your personal decision when then law says OK and you are hungry and the shark is already dead. But wait a sec, we ARE Americans and our resources many. I will tell you. There are a bunch .

:light:
of very intelligent Nomads here and about. I don't feel compelled to preach or educate folks south of the border for the many reasons to be 'shark friendly'
If the subject of eating sharks stirs you, perhaps one should investigate more of what the future holds for sharks. It's all interrelated...from sharks and killer whales to Dorado and trigger fish, to clams and scallops. From the ultimate top of the food chain (us), we decide which species will or will not survive. Been going on for eons. Kind of like playin' God, albeit on a different scale.
:saint:

Me No wrote:
Shark. self described sea food snob. Restauranteur. Ever try and catch some of that good stuff your self?

As a matter of fact..... yes, many times. Luckily for me I didn't grow up in Azuza. We left Catalina Island in 1988 to raise our kids in Oregon and have a half a life.
Was an avid diver for 18 years and certified hyperbaric tech. Dirt bikes, trucks, Baja, many times,many years back. I have a love and appreciation for the place that goes way back. My wife and I were able to buy a home in Mulege so I/we can resume water sports. SOON!

Can you say Baja?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 02:33 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 07:35 AM
here's one from yesterday's fishing pics....a little 11ft. morsel for that GWS

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 08:29 AM
M Experience

For several years starting in 1972 I fished for Shark with Enrique Murillo out of San Nicholas anound Delefonso.

We sometimes used donkey Meat for Bait. We had Large rods with 125 Lb. Line and 6/0Reels.
On a given Day we would Boat 2,000 Lbs of Meat. It was fileted by the women, salted, hung over a Fence to Dry. After being Dried it was bundled into 16 Kilo s, taken out to the road and send to Mexico City where it was made into fish Tacos.

The fins sent to Japan via La Paz. At times that is the only income avaiable for San Nicholas.

Survival of the Fitist!

Skeet/Loreto
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 10:26 AM

I caught my first big shark sometime in 1971 off San Marcos. It was a 9 1/2 foot hammerhead that hit a trolled sharkline with a 'filleted' 20lb yellowtail carcass. I used a shark-snubber to absorb the sudden hit and strength of the shark attack. We fed the whole damn town back then with our exploits, not knowing much about how the shark numbers would soon begin to decline in coming years. The Baja Road took care of that.

Bahia de Concepcion..aptly named, because that's where a host of pelagic fish spawned...including many species of shark. There were many shark camps in Conception Bay back then..starting in 1972 right after the highway opened and made transport of the meat easy.

We used to hook sharks frequently in those early years..in the Bay. But from 1972 on the sharks numbers declined. Not from sportfishing..but from shark nets. There were maybe 20 camps of 4-6 pangas each, loaded with nets, working the bay and it took them just a couple of quick years before there were no sharks left...none. Just piles and piles of shark remnants left to rot in the Baja sun. I can still remember seeing the sizes of the sharks decrease as the years went by...until finally the net mesh sizes were of a size to catch the littlest sharks that could be filleted..about 1 foot long, the latest young. There would literally thousands piled up next to the fish camps.

Then they were gone. We have not had any shark populations in our bay since 1979. I doubt we will ever see them again.

If you never saw the Cortez or in particular, the unbelievably prolific Bay of Conception, before the overharvesting of netters,... then you will not miss the thousands of birds, turtles, whales, dorado, marlin, sailfish, tuna, wahoo, cabrilla, grouper, rockfish, roosterfish, jack crevalle, pompano!!, shrimp, rock scallops, bay scallops, octopus, morays, lobster, and on, and on, all fishes of the sea.... which are all gone from the Bay. The shrimpers broke the laws weekly and dredged the bottom of this bay until finally it is almost devoid of life. The bottom marine ecology has been destroyed. Nightly they and the panga netters would throw away the tiny dorado, marlin, sails, grouper, that were caught up in their nets but were considered trash to be discarded. In just 33 short years Bahia de Concepcion went from being an aquarium spawning grounds to something similar to the Dead Sea.

Do I miss the sharks?...and countless other species of marine life? What do you think?

Education, education, education. Let's hope it's not too late for another Bay of Conception somewhere.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 12:28 PM

:no::(:no::(:no::(:no::(
we can help save what IS left
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2005 at 08:21 AM
Pomp

Then they went around the Point south and Started netting out the Sierra for Fertilizer, thereby the yellowTail moved off Shore.
Pomp everytime I go to DelEfonso I still see lots of Sea Life and very few Sharks. The Yellow Tail are still good around the island and near Pulpito. The YellowTail count is down but not any thing like the Shark and i know mexican Fisherman who have been Haulung Yellowtail out by the Truck load.

What is your take on the yellowtail??

Skeet/Loreto
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2005 at 05:29 PM
Skeet?Loreto....

I think yellowtail populations are good...thank god. At leasty in our common areas..which include Loreto grounds. We are fortunate in having abuot the only 'large' yellowtail stocks around. Lots of places have the smaller 15-20 lbers. We have seen great catches from Sta. Rosalia to Ille del Fonso just lately. It seems to have got better and better the last 3-4 years. Of course it will never be acres and acres of feeding yellowtail again..like we had in the 60-70's. I can't really attribute the increase in numbers to anything in particular...except an evident adundance in some food source, probably green mack, bigeye, or ? due to lack of competition for those forage fish's food. I hope for the best..and will get out there manana (not so early) near San Marcos and prove again you can catch all you want on Mirrolures!!..without live bait and getting up so damn early!:spingrin:

Tight lines.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.