Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: First time Trip Questions
VegasNick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
For hormonal purposes. A photo sphere I shot on the beach south of Todos Santos a week ago:

https://www.google.com/maps/views/u/0/view/11596559755849069...

The only thing missing there is me camping! NICE!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2015 at 05:00 PM

If you stay in San Quintin the first night, you can easily make it on to San Ignacio, or even Santa Rosalia the next day. You can make La paz after that, and have a short drive to Todos.
Matt Drown

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 08:11 AM

So we made it. Left Chula Vista on sunday, and crossed the border. Got the red-light on customs and had our truck x-rayed. Missed the whole stop at the declaration office to get a tourist visa thing, and didn't realize that no one looks at your passport (no immigration). In hindsight, the advice given was pretty clear, so this is all our fault. :)

So we drove to Ensenada as were told we could get a visa at the port. Except it was sunday, so the office was closed. :) So a night at the fancy Hotel Coral.

We drove through to Catavina the next day, stopping at Espinoza's (great food, I owe someone a beer for that recommendation). Catavina Mission hotel was almost empty (just us, another couple, and a group from Toyo Tires). Food in the mission was not as good as espinoza's. Room and location was very nice though, serene.

Catavina to Loreto the next day, longer day due to the previous day being a partial. We just ate junk food, and had dinner in Loreto, stayed at Hotel Desert Inn (we were the only guests). Breakfast there was good (nice hot salsa). Hotel was nice and comfy, on the beach is fun, we may head here after Todos Santos to explore around.

Loreto to Todos Santos on the last day, thought it was going to be long, but we were done in 4.5 hours.

Speeding? In cities/towns I kept the speed not much over the posted value. In the open areas I was normally doing close to MPH where the posted speed was KPH. IE, 80KPH max meant I was driving at 80MPH (I didn't do this in the La Paz 110KPH areas). This seemed to be about normal for what people were driving in the area, any issues with this for future driving?

We had 3 military checkpoints from Ensenda to Catavina, 3 more from Catavina to Loreto (plus a $20 peso agriculture spray), and then another agricultre inspection on the way into LaPaz ,and a police checkpoint leaving LaPaz with nothing other than a nod to the local police. (For future searches, these checkpoints feels like US DUI checkpoints, where are you from, where are you going, are you a tourist. One stop had us get out of the car as he poked at our gear in the car, nothing major. And no one had any big issues with our lack of spanish.)

So we made it to Todos Santos, and finally unpacked. We are staying here until 2nd week of June, in the outskirts of town in an AirBNB apartment. Just settling in now, figuring out beach options, and other things to do.

Any suggestions on food in this area? We are cooking in our apartment, but going out now and then also.

And finally, wanted to thank everyone for suggestions and help. It was useful to have the tidbits while driving down to make things easier.

[Edited on 5-15-2015 by Matt Drown]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 08:28 AM

Hi Matt, glad you got there safe and sound! Thanks for the road report. It is good to hear of good food at Mama Espinoza's Place in El Rosario. We don't always eat there, but have never had a bad meal when we do.

Did anyone ask specifically for you FMM tourist cards south of Ensenada? In the past, right near the Ag Spray Booth, Guerrero Negro, was a tourist card check (INM officer).

Have fun in Baja... and leave Todos Santos early enough to explore some sites on the drive back north... San Ignacio town plaza/ mission, less than 2 paved miles south of Hwy. 1 and Bahia de los Angeles (40 paved miles east of Hwy. 1) is one of the really nice side trips.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 09:12 AM
East Cape?

Glad to hear things went smoothly, it usually does. It would be wrong to drive that far south without a trip to the East Cape, it is different enough from the Pacific side that you need to see it.
You could make a day trip driving the main highway looping around back to Todo Santos, but since you are driving a 4runner, I would find the dirt road south of Pecadero and make an overnighter some where on the Cortez side.
Lots of info on older threads on this site. Los Barriles is one of my favorite communities, and Cabo Pulmo (camping) is pretty special as well. I don't know if rooms are available in Pulmo.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Matt Drown

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 09:50 AM

We actually don't really have any solid plans right now past the stay in Todos Santos. We are exploring life as nomads right now, and just traveling. Some brief info at http://www.2ontherun.com/ we just started off.

No checking of our tourist card anywhere. We got one because the current plan is to take the ferry from LaPaz over the mainland in a bit and drive across Mexico to the gulf coast. We appear to have to do paperwork for a temporary car import still if we do that.

Before doing that we may spend a couple weeks on the east side, for a different beach experience. Just settling in for a bit right now, need to get a tan :)

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 11:14 AM

Sign up for the Baja Western Onion - an online (email) weekly newsletter mostly about Todos Santos. Tells you where the music events are, restaurants, etc.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Matt Drown  

Speeding? In cities/towns I kept the speed not much over the posted value. In the open areas I was normally doing close to MPH where the posted speed was KPH. IE, 80KPH max meant I was driving at 80MPH (I didn't do this in the La Paz 110KPH areas). This seemed to be about normal for what people were driving in the area, any issues with this for future driving?

after many years driving hwy 1 i have found 65-70 mph to be the most comfortable max speed. 80 mph is pushing it, except for a few of the improved section where paved shoulders are wider. 80 mph on the narrow pavement requires too much concentration, makes me fatigue more quickly.

i always have in the back of my mind that there generally are no reliable emergency responders in either remote or urban areas of mexico. you have an accident, you can't count on much competent help. it would be rudimentary first aid at best.

Matt Drown

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 01:30 PM

I found 65-70 good, but large stretches of 80 were fine if you were paying attention, and concentrating, yes. Also reduced speed a bit when I was on the winding roads (signs about turns were optional, and usually inconsistent with level of turn) or on roads with almost no shoulder. But yea, it sounds like the posted limits are a bit insane, a large stretch into and out of catavina are posted as 35mph.

Signed up for western onion lists, of course the website last update was Feb 2014....

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 5-15-2015 at 05:18 PM

Matt,
Recheck the Baja Western Onion, I get a new edition almost every week. You might also check out the Baja Pony Express out of Los Barriles, it comes out every couple of days.

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by jbcoug]

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Matt Drown

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 05:35 PM

Wanted to come back and say thanks again to everyone who helped out. I managed to get the West Onion worked out, and used it to check out things while we moved around in Baja.

I am now in Guanajuato, and it's COLD and humid compared to Baja, very inconvenient... :)

Our blog has been updated with information about our times spent in Baja, up to our experience on taking our truck over to Mazatland via the BajaFerries. Figured I would post it the link up here.

http://www.2ontherun.com/
and https://www.facebook.com/2ontherun

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 05:47 PM

Thank you Matt... very much appreciate your reporting back here! Have a wonderful time on the mainland!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Matt Drown  

after many years driving hwy 1 i have found 65-70 mph to be the most comfortable max speed. 80 mph is pushing it, except for a few of the improved section where paved shoulders are wider. 80 mph on the narrow pavement requires too much concentration, makes me fatigue more quickly.

i always have in the back of my mind that there generally are no reliable emergency responders in either remote or urban areas of mexico. you have an accident, you can't count on much competent help. it would be rudimentary first aid at best.

I have to admit that on those long, flat stretches South of Catavina, I have not been able to keep myself below 90, and sometimes 100. I figure there are other Nomads who do likewise.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 08:07 AM

"now in Guanajuato" ??
Are you near Acambaro (just a bit northeast of Morelia)? Check out the Julsrud museum - thousands of one-of-a-kind figurines - some depicting dinosaurs - from over 4000 yrs ago (lends to a suggestion that humans lived with dinos - so the theory goes). Also, there is a famous blue bread in Acambaro. You are also in the Ruta de la Salud (health route) - 400 hotsprings near Morelia: Reino de Atzimba in Zinapecuro; Cointzio; Huandacareo; El Ejido in the Tenencia de Morelos. A model community, Alternare, has two thermal pools, and a white morpho butterfly near the river. (I've done all this research years ago for a trip on My List). Report back on your travels.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.