Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Exploring Summit #3
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 03:55 PM

Thank you... all in all, not bad considering the road was built in 1942!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 03:56 PM

Future Options to get to summit 3
Using data from Tom and finding roads on GE I can see where the LG near San Simon is and I can see that if one drives over smt 2 that LG will be bypassed. And if one avoids Jamau and can get thru all the gates in the valley the travel will arrive at T15Rt, then on to Smt 3.
For sure there is so much biker activity near/at Jamau its no wonder the road is locked up. I bet the rancher can be convinced to allow an exploration group to pass?

And look closely on GE (below) and see parallel road that bypass the LG that Tom found (31.532296, -115.684555). Given enough time a bypass should be easy to find.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 04:03 PM

Next time! :light::biggrin::cool:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 01:14 PM

Paul from the locked gate you can see a road along the other side of the arroyo next to the mtn and it comes out to the LG. The steel pipe fence appears to go all the way to mtn side. We did not follow it to see but it went as far as you could see in that direction.

As far as the race summit once you are on it (the new section) from the arroyo you can see another fence gate up near the new summit road and where they bull dozed rock etc to close that route. The old fence gate was down and we did not hike down to close it. There are a couple of places on the race summit east side that are either/or and they have been there for many years.

Once we went over the summit we took the first steel gate to our left instead of the various routes used in previous Baja races. We ended at a fence and turned around and went north then west then south going thru 3 or 4 steel gates, none were locked, before getting on the road that joined the race course to the Goat Hill. RECORD Racing had a race on while we went thru. There were pits in the area.

The rock I could not get over was maybe 4 feet in diameter in the middle of the road and maybe a foot high. I could not go around but had to get either my left or right front tire on it. When I did I think the other side went up which caused me to lose traction in the front and the rear wheels would spin in the loose rock. After several tries and not wanting to tear up the tread I backed down and took the other path.

[Edited on 7-1-2015 by TMW]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Paul from the locked gate you can see a road along the other side of the arroyo next to the mtn and it comes out to the LG. The steel pipe fence appears to go all the way to mtn side. We did not follow it to see but it went as far as you could see in that direction.
= = =
OK going around the gate is NG
= = =
As far as the race summit once you are on it (the new section) from the arroyo you can see another fence gate up near the new summit road and where they bull dozed rock etc to close that route. The old fence gate was down and we did not hike down to close it. There are a couple of places on the race summit east side that are either/or and they have been there for many years.
= = =
10-4 That was the fence gate we has to unwire on one end because it had a padlock & chain on the other end. My first PLR trip with SF locals.
= = =
Once we went over the summit we took the first steel gate to our left instead of the various routes used in previous Baja races. We ended at a fence and turned around and went north then west then south going thru 3 or 4 steel gates, none were locked, before getting on the road that joined the race course to the Goat Hill. RECORD Racing had a race on while we went thru. There were pits in the area.
= = =
Be darned, that was the route we took in the dark because I missed the turn to take the race road. I thot for sure that rancher would have padlocks by now? What is important about the fact you found the gates unlocked is near the bottom of the canyon are the roads that lead east and provide access to Smt 2 and 3 by bypassing the LG you found and had to turn around.
= = =
The rock I could not get over was maybe 4 feet in diameter in the middle of the road and maybe a foot high. I could not go around but had to get either my left or right front tire on it. When I did I think the other side went up which caused me to lose traction in the front and the rear wheels would spin in the loose rock. After several tries and not wanting to tear up the tread I backed down and took the other path.
= = =
Still have no idea of the rock location
= = =
[Edited on 7-1-2015 by TMW]

Appreciate your clarafication
Paul

[Edited on 7-1-2015 by PaulW]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 07:37 PM

Here are the pictures from our trip. I have more of the La Rumorosa Grade for another time.

Bottom of the grade the rock house is falling apart, no one there.

Road down to the arroyo to start our hike.

Thru the trees.

Wiley did not make it.

More brush.

More rocks.

These next 4 pictures show the water falls going left to right. I was about half way up on the left or south side.

On top looking down at the falls.

Looking west from the top.

Cow trail back.

From the new race summit road looking at the PLR locked gate.

The old race course fence gate. They bull dozed rock to block the road to it from where we were.

Locked gate and pipe fence on road to summits 2 and 3.

We went to Trinidad for a late lunch then Roy and I went to the pine forest at Laguna Hanson.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 08:10 AM

Thank you Tom! Appreciate the photos and the expedition.

That was some waterfall in Caņon Jamau... Amazing that there ever was a road coming down the mountain there... or even a hiking trail such as the one Gulick and guests walked back in 1961 to the shack.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

From the new race summit road looking at the PLR locked gate.
[URL=http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/tmw5/media/Misc%203/SAM_0813.jpg.html]

With the angle of this photo, I almost see an 'L'-shaped go-around beneath the gate up to the dirt road. Hmmm. With my pick-ax and a shovel, this might save us work the next time. :bounce:

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 07:13 AM

Picture does not show enough to say that. The first time we dug and moved rocks and got thru. The bypass to the west of the gate we made the first time is now blocked by very big rocks. Second time we envisioned going into the wash, but no way the drop off into the wash is major. A route up the hill at the gate was checked out to the east, but is blocked by big rocks and steepness.
Another possibility is to drive north on the road toward the rancho and find a bushwhack turn to the west and into Siaz.
Good thing I had my trusty GPS which showed all the paths we could use to drive and do the drive around down the wash.
Drive up there and check it out.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 10:29 AM

Paul is this the rancher's house. On the PLR I took the picture on the new race summit road where it meets the old race road near the old fence gate in a picture above. If on the PLR up from the locked gate it would be looking east by southeast.

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by TMW]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 12:31 PM

TW, is that Rancho Huatamote?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 12:37 PM

It could be. It appears to be in the right location.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 03:15 PM

Consider this
Wash access WP to N Siaz is 31 38.011, - 34.708

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 08:17 PM

Well, at least we know Caņon Jamau is not a through road as shown on the topo, thanks to Roy, Emerson and Tom!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Well, at least we know Caņon Jamau is not a through road as shown on the topo, thanks to Roy, Emerson and Tom!

Thanks for your hard work during such a hot time in the year. It sure is a beautiful region in Baja California.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2015 at 12:53 PM

The rock I could not get over going up the race summit is at or near
coordinates 31-37.920x115-36.230. On the picture below it is at the crosshair on the road on the right about the middle of the picture. The ranch house and coral is in a meadow before reaching the top of the summit and is shown in the lower left of the picture. We did not see or meet anyone at the house but a dog was barking all the while we were stopped there.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2015 at 03:24 PM

Thanks Tom... so that's almost at the top of Portezuelo de Jamau (original Pole Line Road summit)?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2015 at 07:00 PM

Tom the track you took has not been used by the racers for many years. To slow as you found. The longer loop is a very good road. Yup - did it in the dark once and did not find your rock.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 09:12 AM

Here is a GE image further west showing the race summit peak in the crosshair. The ranch house is maybe 1/4 mile to the upper right.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 05:42 AM

The last time I drove past the place the dog was barking and the truck was parked the the west of the road. There was a man standing in front of the building watching us as we drove by. Could not make much out as it was just after dusk with poor light.
Tom, Are you making tracks with your GPS or just logging waypoints?
Paul
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.