Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: New member intro and questions
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 08:09 AM

I love Bajaguy (his answers were spot on) but I'm with Hook on the trailer. Go slow and and see how that puppy will take the dirt road south of Gonzaga. Then you can pop back out to Hwy1 and find some camping spots. The Catavina area is an epic camp site area.

Yes, most camp spots are empty unless you go to the most popular spots.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 08:35 AM

If you have a 4Runner and it is 4WD, then I imagine your small trailer is built for dirt roads?

If not, as bajaguy warns, just the 23 dirt miles between Gonzaga Bay and Hwy. 1 could rattle it apart if you drive a normal speed instead of über-slow.

Is a 200 mile detour via Ensenada to stay on a paved road necessary to avoid 23 unpaved miles? That is something you will need to decide. Hopefully not, because you can't see much of Baja staying on a paved road!

You must have at least a Mexican auto insurance liability policy, as your U.S. policy is not honored in Mexico. Naturally, a safe way to travel is with full coverage and one that includes legal representation. Your trailer must be included in the policy as well because if not, the policy may be void. Baja Nomad is sponsored by a top insurance agency, BajaBound.com and you can see their add at the top and their owner is a participating member here. Another great group is the Discover Baja Travel Club with discounts all over Baja and the same great auto insurance at a discount, too.

Bottled drinking water is sold at all markets if you run short, and potable water is sold at most population centers to refill your container. Honestly, we get by with a 6 gallon jug for cleaning and cooking, and a couple of flats of drinking water lasts us a couple of weeks... We do buy plenty of local beer and need to add ice after a few days. Cans of Tecate Light, Dos Equis (XX), and Pacifico are our favorites camping.

I am not sure about Google estimates, but what seems to be right on for figuring drive times on paved roads is 50 mph average. A 200 mile drive will take 4 hours in Mexico with photo and taco stops, traffic, military inspections, pee breaks, construction detours. If in a motorhome or towing, drop that to 40 mph. Dirt roads are a different story, but 15-30 mph may be the case. What you should do when you cross the border is lose your watch. 'Mexican time' means it will happen when it happens and not when you want it to happen.

In December, it can be VERY cold in the desert... at night. Days are usually perfect. Remember daylight hours are reduced, so less driving time or daytime fun time in the winter. Arrive at your next destination well before sundown to scope out the place and set up camp.

I suggest you look at some trip report photos to get a feel for what's out there. Every few days you may want to stay in a motel to clean up or anytime to get out of the weather. Target some places in Baja that look interesting to you and check out possible motels to utilize.

Staying in the northern 2/3 of the peninsula may be wise to enjoy the time you have and not spend another day of driving just to get to the cape area (between Loreto and La Paz).

Three 'Nomad oasis' overnight motel locations might include: Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario (Motel Turista is a back up there); Hotel La Huerta in San Ignacio (a nice motel, reasonable); Bufadora Inn in Bahia Asuncion (Shari's place). For a sample of luxury, Nomad 'Bob & Susan's Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort on Bahia Concepcion (www.mulege.org).

If you need more data on Baja's historical locations, I am happy to assist as that's been my attraction to Baja for many years. I co-authored the first book to correctly list all the California missions in the order they were founded and not based on a line that was drawn many years after the missions were abandoned. www.oldmissions.com
Old mines, cave paintings and petrograph sites, and fossil beds are fun to see as well! Baja has it all!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 09:18 AM

If you plan to use the commercial camp grounds a good book is Camping Mexico's Baja by Mike and Terri Church. About $13 on Amazon.

If camping elsewhere make sure you are far off the highway so as not to be seen. Many beaches are open camping. A word of advice when open camping, if others are there and they are families OK. If just some guys I would move on. If you happen to come on a fish camp you can often buy or trade for fresh fish. If you give or trade them a beer, one maybe two beers per person is OK then leave. Sometimes too many beers makes for a bad situation, especially in the middle of nowhere.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 09:42 AM

Catavina IS an epic area, Ateo, but he would be backtracking north to get to it from Chapala. Not worth it, IMO, and there probably isnt a colder area along Mex 1 in December/Jan. Nights can be in the 20s-30s.

Make sure the trailer specifics include the type of suspension, tire size, tire rating. Also curious about your built-ins in that trailer and the composition of the shell; fiberglass, aluminum, cloth popup?

You have the time to go use some blue thread locker on some of your interior and exterior screws. It's not as effective as it is on nuts and bolts but it does help prevent them from backing out, even if they are only seated in wood.

Also make sure that all nuts/bolts associated with the carriage of the trailer are tight and with a temporary locking compound.

Then, on the dirt section, just stop every .5-1.0 hour and check to see if screws are backing out on the interior and exterior. Tighten em back up and keep moving.

The time spent to do ALL of this is still preferential to driving from TJ/Tecate down on Mex 1, IMO. And that is what you would end up doing. If you arent taking Mex 5 all the way to its end, then it makes no sense to cross at Mexicali. Forget about Mex 3 towards the coast. You climb a mountain range there. No time savings at all. You are better off driving to TJ/Tecate in the States and then driving down, IF you choose not to do Mex 5. Mex 1 also puts you into the area of the most congested driving in all of the peninsula, outside of large cities like La Paz or Cabo San Lucas.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 09:44 AM

Tom reminds me of one of the surprises you might find with Mexican culture... If you set up camp on a public beach and are pretty much alone when a Mexican family arrives to also camp (usually on holidays or weekends... don't be surprised if they pull up right next to your camp rather than give you privacy. It is all innocent on their part, as camping is a social thing to enjoy the time... and that might include blaring music all night long! For us, we usually camp to get away from noise and crowds, so having 4WD and deflated tires allows us to find a quiet beach spot.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 10:16 AM

Bahia de Los Angeles is a nice place for a few days. A small museum, restaurants, groceries. Maybe turtle action at Campo Archelon (sp?). Check out Daggetts - they have a shower. Then maybe the back road to San Borja mission. There are nice camping spaces with grills, and a well for water too. Ask caretaker family for a tour to the pictographs. The 5 yr. old might like that too.
As David K. mentioned, the days are short in December, so your driving days will be limited in that respect - I heartily advise not to drive after dark.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
...another day of driving just to get to the cape area (between Loreto and La Paz).

Meh. That's the cape area? :?:

That's a day of driving, parens are in the wrong spot, I suspect.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 02:29 PM

There's been discussion here about the dirt portion of Highway 5 north of Highway 1 - here's a couple shots of what it looks like.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 03:11 PM

I drive that section of road in a Kia Sportage pulling a small, but tough, utility trailer. Your truck will be at home on that road, but the trailer should have large enough tires and clearance to get you through without problems.

By the way, look at the photos that S.S. posted, and imagine sharing the roiad with a semi. It happens!

I recommend that you go that way (trailer permitting) and take it easy for the 23 miles. Lots of great scenery and wide open spaces!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 03:18 PM

such good advice to stay in the north for this first visit. With kids you want more beach time and less car time! Take shari up on her Christmas offer - you will be most welcomed and will be immersed in another culture.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
...another day of driving just to get to the cape area (between Loreto and La Paz).

Meh. That's the cape area? :?:

No, that is the "day of driving" to get to the 'Cape Area'... From Loreto to La Paz is 223 miles of mostly straight desert and ag area driving. 4-5 hours (twice) through a lot of nothing much to see before getting to the next region, may not be in the cards on a limited time Baja trip. San Javier, Comondu, La Purisima may be wiser travel if it is of interest to them, either by direct dirt road from San Javier or go around the long way for all pavement.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
and imagine sharing the road with a semi. It happens!

Said truck. What you can't really see is, this guy is grinding SLOWLY up a hill.

David1975

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 05:50 PM

Thanks to all your great advice we are beginning to put together a simple plan. It is early and everything is subject to change but the picture is getting a bit less fuzzy. The camper we are towing is something I've been working on for a few years. Its a fiberglass shell and the tires and clearance are same as my 4Runner. Its our backcountry basecamp for NM and Co. trips and it lives most of its time on hard scrabble dirt roads. This brings up a question... Can I bring propane to Mexico? 1 pound bottles and a 20 pound tank.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 06:29 PM

I don't think you'll have a problem with the propane. Maybe put it in a place not so easy to see all of it.

If the trailer has a different tire/wheel that the 4 Runner I recommend a spare for it.

Also they don't want you to bring gas, like car gas, into Mexico. Bring your gas can and fill up after crossing.

Check list before crossing:

Get Mexican insurance either on line or at the border.
Get pesos mostly for gas and food and campgrounds etc.

Tell Coco hi from all of us. Have a beer or coke with him and sign guest book. Ask him any question you may have about traveling down there. He has a lot of knowledge of the ins and outs.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 06:32 PM

Yes on the propane. Often available at water purification shops. The little green one pounders are expensive imports in baja, better to live off the big tanqi propano and have hoses/adaptors.
David1975

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 09:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
Yes on the propane. Often available at water purification shops. The little green one pounders are expensive imports in baja, better to live off the big tanqi propano and have hoses/adaptors.

I bought a 1 pound tank fill adapter a year or so ago and refill them. I recommend it to anyone using the 1 pound bottles. Adapter was $12.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 09:51 PM

A ton of good advice in this thread. Nice work Nomads.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 01:15 PM
Hwy 5 Caution

I didn't see it mentioned here.....

If you travel down Hwy 5 south of San Felipe....BEWARE

There are Vados (washes) that cross the highway and if you hit them at any speed, you will launch your 4 Runner, trailer and everything inside.

Some are marked, and some are not........you have been warned!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 07:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
I didn't see it mentioned here.....

If you travel down Hwy 5 south of San Felipe....BEWARE

There are Vados (washes) that cross the highway and if you hit them at any speed, you will launch your 4 Runner, trailer and everything inside.

Some are marked, and some are not........you have been warned!!!

Yes, good call bajaguy! The 74 kilometers starting from the Airport road (at 10 kms. south of the San Felipe entrance street) to the Puertecitos entrance was paved over a 1982 road bed, and not designed for high speed... as it has many vados (dips) that are steep and can launch you or bottom-out your suspension if taken more than 30 mph!

At some point, this section of highway first paved in the 1990s will be replaced with a newer style high-speed road, like what is south of Puertecitos... Until then slow down!

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 11:42 AM

If you have 2 weeks I would say go see Shari in Asuncion If you go Hwy 5 Via San Felipe / Gonzaga you will save time but that dirt road can tear a trailer up unless you go real slow. it eventually drops you off on Hwy 1 if you go through Ensenada/ pacific side you are on Hwy 1 already but have to deal with traffic. I've gone either way many times both have there advantages. In Northern Baja If you want to stop and eat or just check things out, Pacific side. If you want to camp on the beach but not do a whole lot, Sea of Cortez side. Either way you can only drive down the Sea of Cortez side to Gonzaga before the road crosses over and hits Hwy 1 from there its only a few hours to Asuncion.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.