BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  18
Author: Subject: UPDATED: Saltwater intrusion on east coast (link)
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
gnu, you are disrupting the narrative.

SF 31+ ... :lol::lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 01:18 PM
The Day that the Rains Came Down ..........

Is TODAY !

POURING in the Hi-Desert.

A welcome surprise.

Which caught me by surprise on the road.

Having taken my OLD ('95) Ranger (with non-functioning wipers) to go shopping for Halloween.

The trip home from Home Depot was interesting. Couldn't see Scheisse.

BUT, No Harm-No Foul.

No crashes, nobody killed, no citations.

And, among other items, I got a GREAT "Barking Dog" Skeleton.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Is TODAY !

POURING in the Hi-Desert.

A welcome surprise.

Which caught me by surprise on the road.

Having taken my OLD ('95) Ranger (with non-functioning wipers) to go shopping for Halloween.

The trip home from Home Depot was interesting. Couldn't see Scheisse.

BUT, No Harm-No Foul.

No crashes, nobody killed, no citations.

And, among other items, I got a GREAT "Barking Dog" Skeleton.
Buying apples and razor blades?

"The future ain't what it used to be"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Snowing in the west now

http://snowbrains.com/snowing-hard-right-now-in-the-western-...

It is still summer, too... LOL!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 02:19 PM

Got some here too ... good to hear, smell and see :):)

Hopping for some significant rain and/or snow ... we need it
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 04:09 AM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/global-marine-population...

Aw, anuther one of them gol-darned book-larnin' edjimicated collidge boyz making yet anuther Chiken Little claim the sky is falling. Even if he's the president of the World Wildlife Federation..... prolly just seekin' funding like the rest of the Commie Pinkos out there.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 06:40 AM
I have ideas that might save some of the fisheries

Spoiled Fish

This little essay is not about children but I must mention them to get your attention. Modern youngsters are thought not to be as healthy as those in earlier generations. Some say children of the 30’s and 40s played in the mud, ate dirt and bugs by sheer accident and somehow that introduced microbes into their systems in a way that made them less susceptible to modern allergens.

I won’t argue the point but I do want to give caution to my flyfishing pals. I have lots of them and I admire the fact that they release almost all the fish they catch and do many other things to protect their habitat.

I watch them at play, I watch a ton of TV shows about fly fishing – the sport is growing like a wildfire, attracting people of all ages and all persuasions. Professional anglers take many steps to protect each animal they hook; they wear gloves, they often don’t use nets lest a net do some harm to the fish. They are careful about the capture and even more careful about the release. They employ special barbless hooks, work the fish to a spot near the shore where they release it to make sure it is ready to return to the stream, river, ocean in good condition.

Back to the children. Might my heroes be codling the fish (pun intended)? Aren’t they training the fish, conditioning the animal to expect special touchy feeling handling? Don’t you suppose the fish are passing their weaker genes into the (another pun) pool? Deep in the eat or be eaten biome they inhabit is their mother, Mother Nature, a hard mother who waits along with bears, otter, eagles, weasels, turtles, snakes, barracuda, jacks, and sharks who are looking for weakness, a millisecond’s hesitation as a signal for attack.

So the very caring sportsmen may not be doing the fish any favors when they practice such care, go to such great lengths to press the fish they catch with as little stress as is possible. Perhaps stress and trauma will help them remain alert and energetic – I can see small, inexpensive mini tazers (perhaps powered only by 2 AAA batteries). Maybe if the anglers leave the fish out of water for a few minutes (I was going to call that Air-boarding but the word Boarding has very strong public recognition and bias), let them flop around on the boat deck, sand, kayak before they are roughly released, it would make them stronger, faster, more motivated.

I think my idea could produce a win-win scenario since almost all flyguys seek action from their prey, want strong fighters and will go to the ends of the earth to pull in bonefish, giant Trevally, peac-ck bass – they are not seeking whimpy fish. If they practice my new method they may lose some weak ones but they will, over all, produce a new, virile brand of fish that are rough, tough and hard to bluff.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 07:04 AM

You make some very valid points, Jorge. Subjecting a fish to ridicule and sarcasm before release is bound to make them stronger.

I have 4 granddaughters who live in Kenya who play in the dirt with sheep, goats, etc. They only get sick when they come back to visit the U.S.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 12:30 PM

Many people are completely unaware of the fraud of geoengineering aerosol spraying of metals and salts in the sky for a variety for results, one of which is to affect the weather. The weather is changing and is being controlled to drive drought, floods, toward changes in society. One reason is to pass legislation to control land, water, agenda 21, to shift money and power. We already have cap and trade in California based on a fraud, to increase carbon tax (climate taxes), including increased costs of water use through tiered tax, like oil, ion the backs of people n California as a new paradigm.

Residents have no control of climate by their carbon output. This is a fraud put upon the people that requires attention and your interest to become educated about the fraud of geoengineering that is harming our environment, our health and creating a huge cost burden to support a new trillion dollar fraudulent economy.

Geoengineering is extremely harmful for the population and is an assault on the people.

Find out why they are spraying. Look up and wake up! Here is the internationally award winning documentary "Why in the world are they spraying?"

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2015 at 02:49 PM

September 18, 2015
What Exxon Knew About Climate Change
By Bill McKibben

Wednesday morning, journalists at InsideClimate News, a Web site that has won the Pulitzer Prize for its reporting on oil spills, published the first installment of a multi-part exposé that will be appearing over the next month. The documents they have compiled and the interviews they have conducted with retired employees and officials show that, as early as 1977, Exxon (now ExxonMobil, one of the world’s largest oil companies) knew that its main product would heat up the planet disastrously. This did not prevent the company from then spending decades helping to organize the campaigns of disinformation and denial that have slowed—perhaps fatally—the planet’s response to global warming.

There’s a sense, of course, in which one already assumed that this was the case. Everyone who’s been paying attention has known about climate change for decades now. But it turns out Exxon didn’t just “know” about climate change: it conducted some of the original research. In the nineteen-seventies and eighties, the company employed top scientists who worked side by side with university researchers and the Department of Energy, even outfitting one of the company’s tankers with special sensors and sending it on a cruise to gather CO2 readings over the ocean. By 1977, an Exxon senior scientist named James Black was, according to his own notes, able to tell the company’s management committee that there was “general scientific agreement” that what was then called the greenhouse effect was most likely caused by man-made CO2; a year later, speaking to an even wider audience inside the company, he said that research indicated that if we doubled the amount of carbon dioxide in the planet’s atmosphere, we would increase temperatures two to three degrees Celsius. That’s just about where the scientific consensus lies to this day. “Present thinking,” Black wrote in summary, “holds that man has a time window of five to ten years before the need for hard decisions regarding changes in energy strategies might become critical.”

Those numbers were about right, too. It was precisely ten years later—after a decade in which Exxon scientists continued to do systematic climate research that showed, as one internal report put it, that stopping “global warming would require major reductions in fossil fuel combustion”—that NASA scientist James Hansen took climate change to the broader public, telling a congressional hearing, in June of 1988, that the planet was already warming. And how did Exxon respond? By saying that its own independent research supported Hansen’s findings? By changing the company’s focus to renewable technology?

That didn’t happen. Exxon responded, instead, by helping to set up or fund extreme climate-denial campaigns. (In a blog post responding to the I.C.N. report, the company said that the documents were “cherry-picked” to “distort our history of pioneering climate science research” and efforts to reduce emissions.) The company worked with veterans of the tobacco industry to try and infuse the climate debate with doubt. Lee Raymond, who became the Exxon C.E.O. in 1993—and was a senior executive throughout the decade that Exxon had studied climate science—gave a key speech to a group of Chinese leaders and oil industry executives in 1997, on the eve of treaty negotiations in Kyoto. He told them that the globe was cooling, and that government action to limit carbon emissions “defies common sense.” In recent years, it’s gotten so hot (InsideClimate’s exposé coincided with the release of data showing that this past summer was the United States’ hottest in recorded history) that there’s no use denying it any more; Raymond’s successor, Rex Tillerson, has grudgingly accepted climate change as real, but has referred to it as an “engineering problem.” In May, at a shareholders’ meeting, he mocked renewable energy, and said that “mankind has this enormous capacity to deal with adversity,” which would stand it in good stead in the case of “inclement weather” that “may or may not be induced by climate change.”

The influence of the oil industry is essentially undiminished, even now. The Obama Administration may have stood up to Big Coal, but the richer Big Oil got permission this summer to drill in the Arctic; Washington may soon grant the rights for offshore drilling along the Atlantic seaboard, and end a longstanding ban on oil exports. All these measures help drive the flow of carbon into the atmosphere—the flow of carbon that Exxon knew almost forty years ago would likely be disastrous.

We’ve gotten so inured to this kind of corporate power that the report in InsideClimate News received relatively little coverage. The big news of the day on social media came from Irving, Texas, where the police handcuffed a young Muslim boy for taking his homemade alarm clock to school; all day people tweeted #IStandWithAhmed, and rightly so. It’s wondrous to see the power of an Internet-enabled world shining the light on particular (and in this case telling) injustice; there’s a principal and a police chief in Irving that will likely think differently next time. But we badly need the same kind of focus on the long-lasting, underlying abuses of corporate might. As it happens, Exxon is based in Irving, Texas too.W
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2015 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Many people are completely unaware of the fraud of geoengineering aerosol spraying of metals and salts in the sky for a variety for results, one of which is to affect the weather. The weather is changing and is being controlled to drive drought, floods, toward changes in society. One reason is to pass legislation to control land, water, agenda 21, to shift money and power. We already have cap and trade in California based on a fraud, to increase carbon tax (climate taxes), including increased costs of water use through tiered tax, like oil, ion the backs of people n California as a new paradigm.

Residents have no control of climate by their carbon output. This is a fraud put upon the people that requires attention and your interest to become educated about the fraud of geoengineering that is harming our environment, our health and creating a huge cost burden to support a new trillion dollar fraudulent economy.

Geoengineering is extremely harmful for the population and is an assault on the people.

Find out why they are spraying. Look up and wake up! Here is the internationally award winning documentary "Why in the world are they spraying?"

Good lord, and must be a world wide "fraud" since drought, flood, and climate change are Earth wide issues Maybe collusion between the various mafias in the world with the Mexican cartels thrown in for good measure:lol:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2015 at 03:08 PM

Re: Cisco's post, 2 above.

About the author:

"He was awarded the Gandhi Peace Award in 2013.[8] Foreign Policy magazine named him to its inaugural list[9] of the 100 most important global thinkers in 2009 and MSN named him one of the dozen most influential men of 2009.[10] In 2010, the Boston Globe called him "probably the nation's leading environmentalist" [11] and Time magazine book reviewer Bryan Walsh described him as "the world's best green journalist".[12]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_McKibben

Article published in the New Yorker magazine:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/what-exxon-knew-...

[Edited on 9-19-2015 by SFandH]
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2015 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Re: Cisco's post, 2 above.

About the author:

"He was awarded the Gandhi Peace Award in 2013.[8] Foreign Policy magazine named him to its inaugural list[9] of the 100 most important global thinkers in 2009 and MSN named him one of the dozen most influential men of 2009.[10] In 2010, the Boston Globe called him "probably the nation's leading environmentalist" [11] and Time magazine book reviewer Bryan Walsh described him as "the world's best green journalist".[12]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_McKibben

Article published in the New Yorker magazine:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/what-exxon-knew-...

[Edited on 9-19-2015 by SFandH]

Thanks.

Guess I sorta thought everybody knew that.

(damn, can't make the smilies work. Time to build a new computer).
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2015 at 06:07 PM

With the formation of the EPA in 1970 ... "things" started to get "counted" ... including inert ingredients ... along with "proprietary claims" on disclosure for registration ... not to mention the sampling and/or monitoring of: soil, air and water ...

Anyone rememberer Acid Rain and Rivers catching fire ... and those things called Super Fund Sites that started popping up .. Ya know things that business's left behind called "liabilities"

Like the one in Butte MT ... Or how about the Gulf of Mexico after BP's "spill" .... et al

The real topper came in 1986 with Bophal followed by CIBA GIGY'S release into the Danube ... things really started to tighten up on: production, transportation, storage, and/or handling of "hazardous materials" in the United States and a few other places

LA County moved heavy manufacturing/hazardous materials out to the "Inland Empire" in the eighties and a thing called a RMPP was required on any business which would be "handling" hazardous materials ... based on a number of factors ... prior to build out and/or operation

http://www2.epa.gov/rmp/guidance-facilities-risk-management-...

We have made progress in those areas ... however, using chemicals to live better appears to be a double edged sword at this time .... and solutions just become more expensive with issues in many cases .. MTB, new class of insecticides, herbicides, fungicides et al ... not to mention the shear number of humans on the planet

Glad we are looking for a new planet ... this one's future for humans is questionable in the long term, at this time

This is not new science ... rather new technology which affords science a better means to observer and document findings quicker, more accurately and on a sampling scales which boggles one's mind ... or at least mine

Not hopping for the worst .... Just trying to make a few more years watching the "show" ... :biggrin::biggrin:
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2015 at 02:10 PM

What is the purpose of our existence on Earth? What makes life meaningful? For Pope Francis, who is in New York for two days, the purpose of life is to live in God’s “fullness” and in the “fullness” of creation. It is to contemplate “the joyful mystery” of “the world” with “gladness and praise.” “The Creator does not abandon us. He never forsakes his living plan or repents of having created us,” he writes in his encyclical “Laudato Si’,” or “Care for Our Common Home,” which was published by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, in July, and echoed yesterday and today in his addresses to Congress and the U.N. It is good to be told that we have not been forsaken, but why, we must wonder, does the Pope reassure us? Francis, the leader of 1.2 billion Catholics, addresses his encyclical not only to the faithful but to every living person on the planet. It contains a moral message that he delivers with great urgency: the Earth—his God’s creation—has been exhausted and depleted. The animals are dying. Global temperatures are rising. And the poor will suffer most. What Francis outlines in his letter is the prelude to a cataclysm. And what he calls for is a “global ecological conversion.”

But haven’t we heard this same message before, and with a Technicolor clarity in Dolby? “Those were the years after the ice caps had melted because of the greenhouse gases,” a matter-of-fact narrator explains at the beginning of the Steven Spielberg movie “A.I.,” which was released in the summer of 2001. “Millions of people were displaced; climate became chaotic. Hundreds of millions of people starved in poorer countries. Elsewhere, a high degree of prosperity survived when most governments in the developed world introduced legal sanctions to strictly license pregnancies, which was why robots … were so essential an economic link in the chain mail of society.” The action of the movie opens in suburban New Jersey, where a couple with a critically ill son weighs the pros and cons of adopting a prototype little-boy robot. New York is underwater, yet the characters behave just as they would in any other age—jockeying for position at work, having fights and making up, and throwing parties by the pool. They do not seem that bothered by what has happened to the Earth, just as we seem not that bothered now, despite the fact that what we are doing is, according to the World Health Organization, expected to kill millions of people in our lifetimes.

But that is Spielberg, you might say. And just a movie vaguely based on fact. Yet you don’t have to turn to a Hollywood liberal to find an antecedent to the Pope’s message. Take your pick of ideologies, and you will see that we are all in surprising agreement. In a scenario report prepared by the Pentagon for President George W. Bush, in 2003, the authors warn, “With over 400 million people living in drier, subtropical, often over-populated and economically poor regions today, climate change and its follow-on effects pose a severe risk to political, economic, and social stability. In less prosperous regions, where countries lack the resources and capabilities required to adapt quickly to more severe conditions, the problem is very likely to be exacerbated.” The authors describe a scenario of mass emigration much like what we’re seeing now in Europe. They speculate that the U.S. could become a fortress nation, with the Department of Defense managing the border, and that, to simplify border controls and the sharing of natural and military resources, “the United States and Canada may become one” (a truly nightmarish scenario for those, like Senators Jim Inhofe and Ted Cruz, who are allergic even to the thought of the U.N.).

The oil giant Shell took up the speculation baton, in 2008, with its “Blueprint” and “Scramble” climate-change scenarios. In “Scramble,” which, as its name suggests, is the more chaotic of the two, “international discussion on climate change becomes bogged down in an ideological ‘dialogue of the deaf,’ ” allowing “emissions of atmospheric CO2 to grow relentlessly.” In 2009, ABC News aired a two-hour special on the “worst-case” future, called “Earth 2100: The Final Century of Civilization?” At the conclusion, a giant sea wall in New York fails, inundating the city; the U.S. government collapses; and a fictional character, Lucy, narrowly escapes on foot to what had recently been the Canadian border. The intellectual left, too, admits what is coming, yet does little about it. In a cynical piece for The Nation, Katha Pollitt asserts that, “by the time the collective damage is done, it will be too late to undo it,” after confessing that she avoids reading news about the climate because it makes her sad.

The fact is that we know that we are causing mass destruction, but we behave as if we do not know, as if it’s someone else who does. Perhaps it is simply too much to admit, and so we act as if the message is surprising. “Advocates of policies to combat climate change have said they hoped Francis could lend a ‘moral dimension’ to the debate,” an article in the Times says—as if the moral dimension hasn’t been widely apparent for well over a decade. Pundits like David Brooks minimize the overwhelming scale of what we’re doing to the environment by including it on lists of social issues like gay marriage and divorce—as if we could vote on the state of our climate, or insist that our pollution is a personal choice. This is the American mode of denial: we frame acts of destruction as expressions of democracy.

“Regrettably, many efforts to seek concrete solutions to the environmental crisis have proved ineffective,” Francis writes in his encyclical. “Not only because of powerful opposition but also because of a more general lack of interest. Obstructionist attitudes, even on the part of believers, can range from denial of the problem to indifference, nonchalant resignation or blind confidence in technical solutions.” To remain in God’s fullness, according to Francis, will require that we finally admit that we know—that we have, in fact, known for a very long time—and that we are finally going to do something about it.

It is easy to look at Representative Paul Gosar, the Republican from Arizona who boycotted the Pope’s appearance in Congress because he couldn’t stand to risk hearing the words “climate change,” and to laugh (or cry). It is easy to tell yourself that any action you take will offer only “the illusion” of “making a difference” (and therefore to do nothing). It is easy to rattle off slogans and lies. (The shopworn “I am not a scientist” seemed to have morphed at the latest G.O.P. debate into “We are not going to destroy our economy!”) What is hard but imperative, if we are to have any chance of changing course, is to become, as Francis describes it, “painfully aware, to dare to turn what is happening in the world into our own personal suffering and thus to discover what each of us can do about it.”

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-do-we-need-pope-...
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-26-2015 at 02:35 PM

Thank you Cisco.

Reminds me: Time to renew my New Yorker subscription...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2015 at 09:39 AM
Sea level photos 59 years apart

Post all the graphs and mumbo jumbo you like, but nothing is easier for anybody with eyes and a brain to research where the sea level was then and is now, than actually seeing it compared to a fixed object on the beach:

1953 looking north:

2009 looking south:

2012 looking east:

Our kids and grandkids will likely be able to enjoy the same beach view with palms, just inches above high tide, as it was for our parents over 50 years.

I would say that all the good work of either Mother Nature or Man (depending on your opinion who is mightier) is keeping it in check?!

1953 photo at El Coyote by Howard Gulick. 2009 and 2012 photos by me or Baja Angel as we drove by on Hwy. 1.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2015 at 10:06 AM

OK one more time David K. It really is simple.

The discussion about sea level rise is not about what happened in the past 50 years, it's about what is going to happen over the next 50 to 100 years.

You do not have to keep making the point that significant sea level rise hasn't happened. You're right about that.

The concern lies in the future and rightly so.

[Edited on 9-27-2015 by SFandH]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2015 at 10:15 AM

What is the EVIDENCE? Predicting that something will happen in the future is generally based on what's happened in the past.

Will Hurricane Marty hit Baja soon?
Will a 8.0 earthquake strike California today... tomorrow, in 10 years???

Can increasing tax, more government, duping citizens stop Hurricane Marty or prevent an earthquake?

No more than it can keep the sea level in the same place.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2015 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What is the EVIDENCE? Predicting that something will happen in the future is generally based on what's happened in the past.

Will Hurricane Marty hit Baja soon?
Will a 8.0 earthquake strike California today... tomorrow, in 10 years???

Can increasing tax, more government, duping citizens stop Hurricane Marty or prevent an earthquake?

No more than it can keep the sea level in the same place.

There is tons of information on the Internet and many books have been published.

Research results published in refereed scientific journals will supply the science behind making the predictions, if you are so inclined.

Read something besides books on Baja. Especially if you are going to offer opinions on the subject.

I will say your pictures of the past 50 years are very nice indeed.

[Edited on 9-27-2015 by SFandH]
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.