BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  18
Author: Subject: UPDATED: Saltwater intrusion on east coast (link)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2015 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Post all the graphs and mumbo jumbo you like, but nothing is easier for anybody with eyes and a brain to research where the sea level was then and is now, than actually seeing it compared to a fixed object on the beach:

1953 looking north:

2009 looking south:

2012 looking east:

Our kids and grandkids will likely be able to enjoy the same beach view with palms, just inches above high tide, as it was for our parents over 50 years.

I would say that all the good work of either Mother Nature or Man (depending on your opinion who is mightier) is keeping it in check?!

1953 photo at El Coyote by Howard Gulick. 2009 and 2012 photos by me or Baja Angel as we drove by on Hwy. 1.

Is it just me? Something is not quiet right with the trees in that nice color 1953 photo looking to the north... in 50 years Palms should be much larger...too bad these are apples and orange photos. Anyone with eyes and brains could see that.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2015 at 01:25 PM

Can increasing tax, more government, duping citizens stop Hurricane Marty or prevent an earthquake?

No more than it can keep the sea level in the same place.

Really, David, if you didn't infuse politics into every one of your arguments (discourse) here, you might have some credibility. How far back does history need to go with you?

8 years of Republican big government, ignoring ''immigration problems'' while running the economy into the ground with a useless Iraq war costing trillions, followed by 8 years of Democratic free spending?

What's your idea of small government and less spending? Ignoring global warming and climate change for the children? Did you cry about the money spent in the ''conservative'' war?

You need to let go of your fixation with Al Gore. Blame yourself for even voting for conservative/liberal government.

Your political party (pick one) is the problem. And your c-ckeyed attitude that everyone here needs to be educated and enlightened.

Why so condescending to Nomads? Give it a rest. Show some humility about what you don't know?

Otherwise, still enjoying the color photos of the palm trees. Good work.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-27-2015 at 03:34 PM

Feel the Nomad love!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-27-2015 at 04:30 PM

YUP! Lots of people love curry!

bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 01:10 PM

Great balls a-fire, climate change on Mars. Who knew?
Romano
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 02:23 PM

David K. For any semblance or comparability, wouldn't those three pictures have to be taken in the same exact phase of the tide? You wouldn't want to compare a high tide to a low one, right?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Romano  
David K. For any semblance or comparability, wouldn't those three pictures have to be taken in the same exact phase of the tide? You wouldn't want to compare a high tide to a low one, right?

Oh gawd, not the pictures again!! :fire:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 03:30 PM

The posting of these photos is really unnecessary unless the point is to agree with what the scientists are saying.

From the original post:

"Global sea levels have risen an average of 3 inches over nearly a quarter century, but not along the West Coast. NASA scientists say long-term climatic patterns have lowered sea levels along California, Oregon and Washington in recent decades........."

emphasis added.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 05:09 PM

How convenient that the sea is not level in order to agree with some scientists???

Where a few smart people with memories or cameras can see there is no change... like here on the West Coast, the sea hasn't risen. Just all the other places!!

What a load of hooey!

Sorry, I can't help but laugh... 'Sea Level' is a standard point of measurement AROUND the WORLD. 3" change... when the daily high tide/ low tide change is 3-20 feet... and that is scary to you?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

lol.gif posted on 9-28-2015 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
The posting of these photos is really unnecessary unless the point is to agree with what the scientists are saying.

From the original post:

"Global sea levels have risen an average of 3 inches over nearly a quarter century, but not along the West Coast. NASA scientists say long-term climatic patterns have lowered sea levels along California, Oregon and Washington in recent decades........."

emphasis added.

OMG, you're actually quoting from that original post and suggesting it's relevant to the last 14 pages ?!?

Hats off to you my friend, for being old school.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Hey this might help ... but, then it is from one of those Scientific kinda sites .. :biggrin::biggrin:

Is sea level the same all across the ocean?

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/globalsl.html

Always something new to think about ... HUH :):)

What Happens To A Bridge When One Side Uses Mediterranean Sea Level And Another The North Sea?

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/what_happens_bridge_w...

Would appear Sea Level is dependent on "where" one is located on the planet :biggrin::biggrin:

and the difference aren't really that "big" only centimeters or millimeters ... so pretty hard to "eyeball" the difference by most

But, there would appear, based on using the latest technology ... there is in fact a measurable difference

And of course the next step in scientific investigation would be to monitor these levels over time and report back ... which I believe is what is being done at this time ... by many nations, which can only help in the long run

[Edited on 9-3-2015 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 9-29-2015 by wessongroup]
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 07:36 PM

The esteemed Mr. Limbaugh made the observation today that no one, scientist or otherwise, makes any predictions regarding the coming climate disasters One, Two, or Five years down the road. Fifty or One Hundred year predictions, no problem. I guess I could do that. Who will be around to prove me wrong?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 09:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
The esteemed Mr. Limbaugh made the observation today that no one, scientist or otherwise, makes any predictions regarding the coming climate disasters One, Two, or Five years down the road. Fifty or One Hundred year predictions, no problem. I guess I could do that. Who will be around to prove me wrong?

ANSWER:
The Esteemed Mr. Limbaugh, if a) you both live that long, and b) there's a buck in it for him. Savvy?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
Snarky nastiness is passed off as scientific fact here by some. It really does little to advance your computer model global warming stories.

I do not understand why you think you must insult DK at every opportunity. I have never seen him do anything on this forum other than try and help people any way he can. I wouldn't blame him if he just packed it in. Those of you he has helped might want to speak up as they come crashing down on me

I have yet to see DK stoop as low as personal or snarky insults to anyone on any subject. He is usually the first to welcome new Nomads and provide all the help and information he can. He is way up on the high road compared to this bottom feeder who needs to find a board that better accommodates his sick, sick (get a room)mind.

[Edited on 9-7-2015 by BajaNomad]

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 09:21 PM
Marty Jr. and Danger

MLKJ found that a Rifle Bullet can be pretty dangerous, too.

However, he was unavailable for comment on THAT.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 06:46 AM

Post from the first page:

There is no question that some glaciers are melting just like there is no question the Antarctic ice pack has grown. Less here, more there... the earth is in balance it would seem?

The observations that glaciers are melting and the Antarctic ice pack has grown are correct however the conclusion that "the earth is in balance" because of "less here, more there" is incorrect, especially if the "in balance" means no net change.

There is a significant net change. Less land based ice ("less here") and more sea based ice ("more there") is exactly why the mean sea level is rising.

[Edited on 9-29-2015 by SFandH]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 08:37 AM

"Is rising"?
As in not now, but 'someday', correct?

Have a nice day, keep your feet dry... high tide in San Felipe is 18.5 FEET, at 2:58 pm, not sure if anyone notices 3 more inches...

[Edited on 9-29-2015 by David K]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 08:46 AM

I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies in your arguments.

It's true, the 3" to date hasn't been much of a problem.

The sea level rise discussion is largely about the future.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 08:53 AM

Thank you... me too!

(like where you post the sea level is rising... just not here on the coast of the Pacific Ocean)

Just keeping it real... and let's have some fun, because no matter if it is you or me who is correct, the sea is going to do what the sea is going to do, and us humans can't do a thing to change that!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 08:59 AM

the sea is going to do what the sea is going to do, and us humans can't do a thing to change that!

That's your opinion and many scientists, based upon scientific principles, disagree. The more CO2 we add to the atmosphere, the warmer the earth gets. The warmer the earth gets, the more the land based ice melts, raising the sea level. Decreasing the CO2 output will decrease the rate at which the earth warms.

Also as the water warms, it expands, raising the sea level.

Also, melting permafrost releases methane, a potent green house gas. That's beginning to happen and will accelerate warming.

So we can change the current and predicted trends by decreasing the burning of fossil fuels. Or, at least, decreasing the rate at which the burning of fossil fuels is increasing.

Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.