BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  18
Author: Subject: UPDATED: Saltwater intrusion on east coast (link)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 02:21 PM

People who won't believe their own eyes, but will believe someone they don't know, thousands of miles away, paid to say something to make them afraid.

When the government makes more profit on a gallon of gasoline than the company who actually explored, risked, drilled, refined, and delivered the fuel, that is making us poorer. I can't even get into all the insane regulations and restrictions that cause almost everything we need to cost much more than it would be otherwise. Regulations for our safety are fine, regulations to make an attorney or politician feel good are not.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Maybe I am one of the "elites" ....

Maybe? But of course!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 02:30 PM

I guess you think all the services you enjoy are free...David...like the bloated military you support. whine whine wine. a little cheese please. Why is it you thing the people with an education are dumb....and those with none are smart....kind of calls into question intelligence doesn't it.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Who do you think I am speaking for, if not for myself?

Do you not see the same thing I do? In 1978, the media were all onboard the global cooling drama. 20 years later, they flipped, and without an ounce of evidence to prove anything has changed, proclaimed the world was warming dangerously. When there was no warming happening for several years in a row, and the scientists admitted to altering the figures, they renamed it 'Climate Change'. As if we all didn't know climates always change, man or no man.

These are some pretty bold statements. I am seeing you saying that IN YOUR OPINION the last 3 decades of work by the world's foremost scientific institutions has failed to provide "an ounce of evidence to prove anything has changed" regarding our changing climate? Really? Please entertain us with your thoughts about what the tens of thousands of dedicated, professional, earth scientists were doing with all that time. The world settled on using the term Climate Change because it more accurately described the phenomenon. I agree that climates always change, those are the little up and down waves that form the handle on the "hockey stick" graph.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:20 PM

Its all wind and platitudes with DK, he can spin stuff faster than the local dervish....His latest statement on the gas companies is quite possibly one of the dumbest things he has ever said.....or not....he says a lot of dumb things....OK I pick elite, instead of masses....whatever that is.....

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:30 PM

I think it's clear that David K and others will not change their minds until they see the changes for themselves, regardless of what other people say. So there really is no point in trying to reason with them.

I'll go along with the folks that make up the scientific organizations listed on the following page. Their collective wisdom and observations are far greater than mine.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Thanks again to nomad wilderone for posting this link.

[Edited on 9-1-2015 by SFandH]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:44 PM

Yes thanks...good stuff.....

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:51 PM

People who won't believe their own eyes, but will believe someone they don't know, thousands of miles away, paid to say something to make them afraid.

When the government makes more profit on a gallon of gasoline than the company who actually explored, risked, drilled, refined, and delivered the fuel, that is making us poorer. I can't even get into all the insane regulations and restrictions that cause almost everything we need to cost much more than it would be otherwise. Regulations for our safety are fine, regulations to make an attorney or politician feel good are not.

You should stick to Ride-Rites, a subject you can handle.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:19 PM

Those who profess antiscience attitudes are mostly hypocritical from my perspective. They are happy to use the fruits of science but reluctant to accept their responsibilities when science does not take the direction they want. And their vision of the future is dimmed by that same capability to exclude themselves from the truth. WE are responsible, need to accept responsibility and work on solutions for tomorrow to be brighter for the kids. It is not OK to shirk that duty and make excuses for our attitudes. If these truths are not happening to you personally, that doesn't mean they will go away.

BTW, do you see a scientifically trained physician for your health care? Do you prefer to ignore your health or put your faith in the hands of shamans and medicine men. Everyone makes choices, just know what choice you're making. I support and respect those who choose to go forward with positive lifestyles that minimize their carbon foot print and depletion of natural resources. I also support national and international efforts with the same goals. What about you?

PS, don't bother with a reply, DK, we already know....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:31 PM

(Intro music for palm tree pics)

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Thinking is what science is all about .. and "questions" is at the core of all science ... which I've always enjoyed

When one stops asking questions ... they are dead IMHO

And at this time in my life ... I tend to go with Quantum Foam as it relates to our Universe and/or "Reality"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam

Ever read about Amit Goswami Phd.("The Quantum Activist")? He plays in the quantum foam.

http://www.amitgoswami.org/about/

Thanks Mexitron ... I couldn't remember his name ... found his thinking very interesting .. in that the incorporation of "Middle Eastern" religion was helping to understand and/or explain the "topic" in Physics

Here's something for a raining day ... or _________

Quantum Consciousness = New Science

ya might have to listen more than once ... for a number of reasons

and yes ... I think this is related to "Global Warming" :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 9-1-2015 by wessongroup]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:46 PM

So, unless you tow the leftist agenda of the evils of capitalism, that big business is bad (but big government is okay), that the earth is ruined, that it is all our fault and Nature has no part in climate change, you get discredited.

You say there is no credibility with my lifetime of observations about sea level (it is the subject of this thread)??? Really?? You don't even need to believe me since I provided the 60-year-old photo of the same palms that are still above the high tide line. Don't you believe your own eyes?

Do you need to discredit people in order to become empowered or feel good? I only discredit the theory that sea levels are rising dangerously in our lifetime. Have I been nasty or insulted you personally because you fall for the populist ideas... that are 180º different from the populist ideas of the 1970's?

I want to empower people to think and use their own brains before falling for any hysteria, like 'the sky is falling' (Chicken Little/ Henny Penny). I am not asking anyone to believe me... I am asking you to believe yourself, your eyes, your feet when they do get wet at the same distance below the pier that they did when you were a kid.

Okay amigos? Don't be threatened by this idea that your eyes are as good or better than someone in Washington, D.C. who may never been to the beach. PEACE!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 05:45 PM

Talking about people using their brains, I was talking to some of the old folks here in Abreojos. They were talking about how in thieir lifetime they had never seen the saltflats between Abreojos and Bocana fill up and change the road. The road between Abreojos and La Bocana in the saltflat has been flooded now for a year. I explained to them OI know a climate change expert on the internet who explains it as erosion and ground sinking. After theuy quit laughing, one said "Rafael, ¿por qué estás siempre diciendo chistes? El agua es más alto .." what am I supposed to respond with dk.

[Edited on 9-2-2015 by rts551]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 06:00 PM

3427 views for ... BFG TA KO2 now available

3635 " " Sea level changes (NASA/NOAA report based on satellite data)

For something many don't want to discuss ... :biggrin::biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 06:00 PM

You have to wonder why a salt flat there is flooding but all other salt flats in Baja are only flooded at extreme tides, as usual?

It would be good science to observe the various salt flats at the same lunar phase. I remember Shari saying the whale watch palapas had to be moved further from the lagoon (or something similar to that).

My guess would be that the Vizcaino region (Abreojos to Scammon's Lagoon) is dropping in elevation a bit compared to before?

Observation, good!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 06:05 PM

Tectonic plate movement isn't something that can be excluded .. in rising ocean levels or mountains ... et al

And some think there is a relationship between the movement being seen with these "plates" ... and the drying out of the "planets" crust ... via Global Warming

Fun stuff science .... always has something to talk about :):)

But then ... So are tires, shocks, beer and ______ :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 9-2-2015 by wessongroup]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 06:17 PM

At this rate, we will be dropping off into the ocean. Newsflash Abreojos is sinking!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 06:20 PM

You have to wonder why...

It would be good science to observe the various salt flats at the same lunar phase....

My guess would be that the Vizcaino region (Abreojos to Scammon's Lagoon) is dropping...

Observation, good!

If observation is good, if you think it would be good science to observe the salt flats,... Why do you discount the thousands (millions?) of sea level measurements that scientists have collected, evaluated and presented?

Drinking a beer on the salt flats while taking snapshots of palm trees and your Toyota does not constitute scientific observation!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 06:26 PM

This has gone from the silly to absurd like a lot of other posts here. David...stick to pictures of Billies.
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 06:44 PM

Awwww here come the juvenile taunts as usual. A sure indication the
church goers at the church of climatechangeology are in session. That's fine, just quit passing your plate my way.
I am much more concerned that the Russians are attempting to take over the Artic and steal their natural resources, right under our noses, while we concern ourselves with the horrible effects of cows farting.
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.