BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  18
Author: Subject: UPDATED: Saltwater intrusion on east coast (link)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Zola  
Those who argue that man-made climate change is not really occurring are no different from those who used to argue, against the evidence, that the world was flat.

They are wrong, and it is impossible to reason with them on the matter.

They wish to only to "debate" the issue, since the very existence of the debate can make people shrug and think that it is a hotly debated subject.

But there is as much merit to the deniers' position as there was to the earlier view that the Earth was flat, and that everything in the universe revolved around the Earth.

Who gains from the deniers' insipid discourse? Why, the petroleum and coal industries, which want to continue their lucrative business of extracting, refining and selling fossil fuels. But the burning of those fuels, using current technologies, must lead to our extinction and ruin.

We must find another way to provide energy for ourselves, or another way to burn and use fossil fuels, if that is possible.

Denying climate change will not address the problem at all. Trying to reason with those who deny it is more unpromising than trying to show a raccoon how to make a spinach quiche using only organic ingredients. But at least the raccoon will listen to you in good faith.

Flat earthers are a bad analogy. The climate change deniers are more like the tobacco deniers of yore. You had competent scientists saying smoking kills, opposed by smokers so biased by their addiction that they could not see the truth, and tobacco company scientists spinning questionable data for their employers,...
The climate change deniers are no different...

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 08:29 PM
A Bright Side to the Rising Tide Worldwide

Those that we can best afford to lose will be the first to go.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Those that we can best afford to lose will be the first to go.

Odd logic since we're supposedly causing the problem in the first place and doing little to stop it.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 08:56 PM
Not so Odd

Assuming the worst, WE can afford to mitigate the effects better than the poorer nations SO.................we'll be still standing on dry ground (and driving our SUVs on dry roads) when they're treading water.

Oil has served us well for over a hundred years and we'll keep enjoying the benefits for years to come.

Long after Bangladesh (and the Polar Bears ?) are a memory.

That's Life.

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by MrBillM]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 09:58 PM

Not sure what the rest of you will do when the sea rises but at my house I will move my folding chair back a foot....and cast a foot farther to hit my secret spot...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 01:38 AM

From reputable source- The Onion:

"WEST PALM BEACH, FL—Admitting it has had its eye on the property for quite some time, the Atlantic Ocean confirmed Monday that it was looking forward to moving into a beautiful beachfront mansion in the near future.

“For the longest time it seemed like this place was completely out of reach for me, but I’ve come a long way in the past few years, and now it’s looking more and more like a real possibility,” said the body of water, which confided that, after having admired the building’s impressive exterior and grounds for so long, it was thrilled at the prospect of finally going inside and exploring all eight bedrooms and 7,500 square feet of living area. “I’m not quite ready yet, but in a couple years or so, I can definitely see myself in there, making the place completely my own. And the little beachside community that the house is located in is just so cute, too—I can’t wait to go through and visit all the shops and restaurants.”

"The ocean noted, however, that it might make a few cosmetic changes to the mansion once it moves in, including gutting the lower floor and taking out a few walls."

http://www.theonion.com/article/atlantic-ocean-excited-move-...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 02:59 AM

No worries, certain of the Mormon prophets are predicting the end of the world on 28 September, or at least an Apocolypse....So after that Nada....stock up on Tomato soup just in case...

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 06:40 AM

It is understandable how this thread got to over 7000 hits. Lots of clear thinkers on this forum, lots of folks who have carefully studied the subject(s) discussed at length here.

It was inevitable that several camps were established because the label game began in earnest --- when you do that, you expect complete bias from the other side of the label.

There were lots of heavy subjects covered in this long thread and yet the labels remain simple and damaging to the business of debate. When you hold solidly to your biases on a multifaceted problem, you can easily end up arguing with yourself.

If someone wrote a book about this thread, it would have many chapters and would defy the labeling.

If you're looking for true debate, take a poster, find out what he feels about all the subjects; he believes this and this and this, but he's not sure on that, doubts those other things. Can't label that, you can't label anyone on this forum when you shine a clear light on the subjects, the debate, the grand volume of evidence for and against your position.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 06:44 AM
Study Finds Snowpack in California’s Sierra Nevada to Be Lowest in 500 Years

"The snow that blanketed the Sierra Nevada in California last winter, and that was supposed to serve as an essential source of fresh water for the drought-stricken state, was at its lowest levels in the last 500 years, according to a new study."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/science/california-snow-re...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
"The snow that blanketed the Sierra Nevada in California last winter, and that was supposed to serve as an essential source of fresh water for the drought-stricken state, was at its lowest levels in the last 500 years, according to a new study."

Just another Pack of lies and excuse to tax the working man and take away his civil liberties! :lol:

(Dk, did I get that right?)

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by mtgoat666]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 07:36 AM

Love the new name of this thread.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Love the new name of this thread.

Thanks Ateo. I changed it again. Not sure how many have read Dante's Inferno, but it did seem appropriate when I first woke up... I've had my coffee and feel a bit more hopeful now.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Just another Pack of lies and excuse to tax the working man and take away his civil liberties! :lol:

(Dk, did I get that right?)

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by mtgoat666]

Why is this happening? Because ''facts are twisted solely to gain control over people'' -- and line the pockets of union scammers with money meant for education?

These problems will seem minuscule when Trump is elected.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 09:34 AM

Another study that does not sit well with the "No-Growthers"

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/09/15/bad-news-climate-...

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 10:05 AM
* Confu-cius Say ...............

"When Flood is inevitable, Relax and enjoy it".

Or, maybe it was Charlie Chan.

About a different subject.

One of those Oriental guys anyway.

About something.

In any case, it is a mistake to think that there are ONLY two major camps regarding the subject of near-term/long-term Climate Change AND the extent to which mankind is responsible or able to mitigate the "apparent" changes.

There are those who accept that there is a change (of unknown quantity or length) occurring and we could well be contributing (or not), but SO WHAT !

Given the tension of international economics, whatever we're doing NOW or likely to do in the future, is going to have little (or no) effect on the result.

Assuming that the alarmists are correct (which is not proven), the "down in the dumps" nations will suffer first giving us (hopefully) sufficient notice to do whatever we can.

In the meantime, we can keep on keeping on.

Enjoying the benefits of our (relative) affluence. Living good, eating well, traveling as we see fit and buying whatever adult toys we desire and can afford.

Be Happy and Live like there's no Tomorrow.

As noted 2000 years ago, Tomorrow will take care of itself.

And, even with Bangladesh gone, there are other sources for cheap (well-made) clothes.

The Polar Bears won't be missed, either.

They're evil-tempered Bastards.

*Note: The (-) necessitated by the nutty nonsensical censor software.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 10:43 AM

i actually came to that conclusion in the early 80's ...

Trying to turn the tide (pardon the pun) on "growth" on this planet was not something that was possible

About the only thing that would change it .... We hit the "WALL" and have to ... No other options available in the traditional sense, politics, religion, money or running off to a "New Land"

This is evolution up close and personal ... and evolution is a serial killer ... think not :biggrin::biggrin:

thanks Osprey .. for the objective thought :):)

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by wessongroup]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 11:48 AM

Well at least that I can verify, was on Whitney last week, not a lick of snow anywhere:

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 12:34 PM

Snowing in the west now

http://snowbrains.com/snowing-hard-right-now-in-the-western-...
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 01:00 PM

gnu, you are disrupting the narrative.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 01:10 PM

drought is over now. It is raining in San Dingo.
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.