BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  18
Author: Subject: UPDATED: Saltwater intrusion on east coast (link)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Goat, is there a reading comprehension problem here? "Respected" NBC News headline starts with "Climate Change Expert". Then the first sentence in the article begins with "The EPA's highest paid employee and a leading expert on climate change". Most people would interpret this to mean the man is a climate change expert. They would logically further question his credibility on anything, based on the charges he is guilty of. What part of that don't you understand?

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
In the news, EPA Climate change expert sentenced to 32 months for fraud, says lying was a 'rush'

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/climate-change-expert-sent...

Ludicrous. At first glance, it looks like the attached article is about a climate expert who lied about climate change. On reading the article, this expert worked for the EPA, never showed up for work there, claimed he worked for the CIA, and scammed the government for salaries he never earned.

Seems he was out of integrity. Does that mean he's NOT an expert in climate change?

Don't understand the point Paul is trying to make here. What does this fraud have to do with climate change? I think the point is there is fraud in the EPA and climate experts are not to be trusted?

More smoke and mirrors from those toe the Republican party line?

New kid,
No where in the article does it clearly state he was a climate chNge expert. Just says he collected a salary while avoiding work using clever fibs.
So what is worse, you being a trust fund baby, spending money you never earned, or him spending money he never earned? Same thing, eh?

Driverboy,
Did you read the article? The guy has not gone to work in a decade, spent his time at home remodeling his house, so how could he be the leading expert? Driverboy, you need to look past the teasing headline and read the actual news.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 09:54 PM

Goat, did you read it? He was frequently absent for long periods, but over ten years he probably pushed a lot of paper through his position.

Since he states the he spent a lot of the off time "Trying to fine tune the capitalist system", to discourage companies from damaging the environment......ALL of his work should be rejected.

Even his shrink said he was dysfunctional and driven to manipulate those around him through fabricating the facts.

I don't know if his shoddy work had much of an impact in the grand scheme of things, but it casts a huge shadow over the whole department.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 10:37 PM

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

More facts and evidence for you to dissect. I'll check back in another 7 pages.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 11:04 PM

Former USDA Official Speaks Out About Geoengineering affect on weather, human health and food.

[Edited on 8-31-2015 by gnukid]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 05:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Since he states the he spent a lot of the off time "Trying to fine tune the capitalist system", to discourage companies from damaging the environment......ALL of his work should be rejected.

I think it is a great thing that someone would spend their time fine tuning the capitalist system to discourage companies from damaging the environment.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 06:42 AM

NOTE TO DK'S PALM TREE SCIENCE:

You had mentioned this, and a direct quote:

"Is that what the photos of the sea level next to a palm tree are called? Sea level is a standard point of measurement and is not different in one place from another beyond the tidal movement and other gravitational influences of a few inches to a few feet."

1. Did you know different seas have different levels? What exactly is just "sea level", David? The Atlantic is actually higher than the pacific. Not by much, but:

2. Just in your (our) tiny Sea of Cortez (in comparison to other larger bodies) you mention "tidal movement from a few inches to a few feet"... your Coyote beach palms have a max. tidal bore of maybe 3-4 feet vertically at high tides, yet the San Felipe areas to the north end of the SOC can have up to THIRTY FEET of change..... and shall we discuss the tidal bore of the Bay of Fundy? Or is this logic to Fundymental for you?

Point being, your "Skience by DK" Using your infamous Coyote Bay palm trees to show there's no world-wide sea level change holds about as much weight as a pi$$ant's BB. And, your beach home beach...... just how steep is that beach? Tides the same, eh? Too bad you weren't raised in a Bayou or Bangladesh, real flat-land country like north Alaska that's already being inundated, but that's just real science, ignore it..... bunch of Kollidge Kids trying to pad their grant monies.

And, to you and all your supporters, remember this; if the proponents of making Earth a more habitable place are wrong, at worst you're out of a few bucks. Go ahead, quote grandiose dollar figures (split how many ways?) of how Big Gov ripped you all off. But, if you're wrong, there will be far worse consequences.

Penny Loafer Loaf? Sneaker Snackers? Pecan Sandles? Croc Pot Pie? Who will be munching 30 years from now? :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Good link!

I was thinking of doing something like that myself, collecting statements by scientific organizations. But it's already done, by NASA no less.

Thanks.

[Edited on 8-31-2015 by SFandH]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

More facts and evidence for you to dissect. I'll check back in another 7 pages.

Thanks. It's too bad we don't have a resident climate scientist here on Nomad.

I'm sure he/she would be ready to commit suicide after reading these 7 pages.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 07:46 AM

Buddah, tides are different, beaches are different, the sea LEVEL average is not. Ususlly we use the average high tide line. That palm, my beach house, Shell Island, Alfonsina's Resort are ALL the same height above that average sea level today as they were 50 years ago. You can see it in photos.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 09:30 AM

The environment is increasingly permanently damaged due to a variety of factors poisoning the earth, long term geo-engineering spraying of aerosol metals and salts, radiation from ***ishima, oil and biological spills, and depleted uranium weapons detonation.

There is a massive die off of species globally, food production is greatly reduced and people are suffering increasing illness due to the poisoning of the environment.

The circumstances and causes are far more insidious and worse than many can contemplate, nor are many willing to accept.

Military Industrial complex is a snake eating it's own tale that won't stop.

US Government is often caught lying and manipulating data and opinion misleading and confusing people.

Man-made CO2 is not a pollutant nor demonstrated to be a driver of climate.

Pursue the truth, be aware and be prepared for the result.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

The environment is increasingly permanently damaged due to a variety of factors poisoning the earth, long term geo-engineering spraying of aerosol metals and salts, radiation from ***ishima, oil and biological spills, and depleted uranium weapons detonation.

There is a massive die off of species globally, food production is greatly reduced and people are suffering increasing illness due to the poisoning of the environment.

The circumstances and causes are far more insidious and worse than many can contemplate, nor are many willing to accept.

Military Industrial complex is a snake eating it's own tale that won't stop.

US Government is often caught lying and manipulating data and opinion misleading and confusing people.

Man-made CO2 is not a pollutant nor demonstrated to be a driver of climate.

Pursue the truth, be aware and be prepared for the result.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Just thinking that last night. Thanks Paul.

The Ogallala will be depleted in 20 years, California will be a Dust Bowel, and like past civilizations caught in a 100 year drought, people will leave for greener pastures.

Bright future for the kiddies? Not really.

''I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.''

Niccolo Machiavelli

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 10:26 AM

Less people = less impact

However, at this time, it would appear to late and "nature" in fact will equal things out to a level that support life which can exist in an "environment" ... It's called Evolution

Years ago when in school ... most agreed Insecta would be the "winner" in the long term

I have little reason to change that thought .. at this time

And overall there is little disagreement over human influence over their environment by the vast majority of Science and/or Scientist ... In ALL fields of science as it isn't limited to just one field of study .. rather all fields

Here is a good starting point for ALL thoughts and/or facts on most scientific findings an/or thoughts

http://www.pnas.org

Me, I'm just hoping for rain ...

[Edited on 8-31-2015 by wessongroup]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There is no question that some glaciers are melting just like there is no question the Antarctic ice pack has grown. Less here, more there... the earth is in balance it would seem?

Just like Ken's photo is proof that there is less glacier now than before, we have photographic and physical proof the sea level along Baja's east coast is not visibly different than 50-60 years ago.

The point is there is no need for panic or drama... Even if the sea level was rising, there not one thing man can do to change that. We didn't cause the sea level to be 400 feet higher, 5 million years ago, or lower 10,000 years ago. Change is normal... we just have not been alive long enough to actually see that amount of change happening.

Just a couple of glaring errors in this argument. A. Humans were not around to contribute to any of the climate change events in the past, so this one is obviously different because we are here and have exacerbated it by burning carbon. B. Your photographic proof is nonsense. We are talking about what may be 3" of difference of sea-level in our lifetimes. You are comparing sea level photos and you don't know if the picture was taken at high or low tide!!! I can show you a picture of a ROCK that has not moved in eons, and clearly demonstrate how the water can be photographed showing it is FOUR FEET higher than it was at low tide earlier in the day. I would hesitate to send this information to the National Academy of Sciences even though, by your standards, it clearly proves that the scientists are lying.

One of the reasons that sea ice in Antarctica is increasing is a direct result of global climate change. While an increase in frozen salt water would be a good indicator, it is not a good symptom that sea ice is increasing because of all the easily frozen fresh water which is thawing off the shrinking glaciers and flowing into the sea. This is not 'balance".

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 02:32 PM

Snarky nastiness is passed off as scientific fact here by some. It really does little to advance your computer model global warming stories.

I do not understand why you think you must insult DK at every opportunity. I have never seen him do anything on this forum other than try and help people any way he can. I wouldn't blame him if he just packed it in. Those of you he has helped might want to speak up as they come crashing down on me
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 02:46 PM

If the sea levels are rising then that means all the mountain tops are lower since the height is in Feet Above Mean Sea Level. Think of all the maps that will need to be changed.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 03:47 PM

bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 03:52 PM

Love those snappy, well thought out rejoinders.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
I thought I knew something about the arguments on both sides of the issue but I found the most informative book on the issue to be:
Climate Change: The Facts Paperback – April 21, 2015
by J.Abbot (Author), J.S. Armstrong (Author), A.Bolt (Author), R.Carter (Author), & 20 more
279 customer reviews
See all 2 formats and editions
Kindle
$9.95
Read with Our Free App

Paperback
$15.89
2 Used from $49.79
3 New from $15.89

Quote from Amazon, "The authors of Climate Change: The Facts number some of the most prominent dissenters from Big Climate alarmism...."

That was my point Diane, This issue is so divisive and depending on your perspective you are either a "believer" or a "denier". A parallel issue exhibits itself when you have "Christians" and "Muslims" arguing over who is right. Depending on how you see the world, you can only see one perspective and find it impossible to understand where the other side comes from. When I was a youngster, Science was a perspective and all sides were open for discussion and proof. No one assumed that they understood all of the little nuances of thought and open discussion was welcomed in the hope of discovering the truth. This has not happened with the scientific thought behind Global Warming. If we had accepted all of the ideas put forth by Al Gore in his propaganda movie, we would be awash in high water, the Polar Bears would all be dead, and people would be dying by the thousands. Instead, we are finding that things are pretty much the same as always, the earth has built in adjustment and compensating mechanisms, and the only constant that we see is that this issue has become a political religion with "believers" and "deniers" but we have somehow thrown true science out the window and we spend all of our time justifying our beliefs about how the world functions and damn those who see it any differently. So I read a book that has some very fine arguments about the foolishness going on with trying to get everyone to believe in some silly computer models that have shown we are on the "eve of destruction". When that destruction did not come to pass, as predicted by Al Gore and the likes, we change the discussion slightly but the basic belief remains the same. If somehow, we could get back to true "science" instead of pre-disposed ideology, then we might truly begin to understand what is going on. So, I challenge you to read the book and then we can have an informed discussion instead of a useless replay of political positions. Of course, I could get upset and chop off your head like the Christians and Muslims, but on the same vein, you could do the same to me. So when we get through chopping off our heads, I suspect that the world goes on doing its own thing, which it has been doing for millions of years anyway.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
I thought I knew something about the arguments on both sides of the issue but I found the most informative book on the issue to be:
Climate Change: The Facts Paperback – April 21, 2015
by J.Abbot (Author), J.S. Armstrong (Author), A.Bolt (Author), R.Carter (Author), & 20 more
279 customer reviews
See all 2 formats and editions
Kindle
$9.95
Read with Our Free App

Paperback
$15.89
2 Used from $49.79
3 New from $15.89

Quote from Amazon, "The authors of Climate Change: The Facts number some of the most prominent dissenters from Big Climate alarmism...."

That was my point Diane, This issue is so divisive and depending on your perspective you are either a "believer" or a "denier". A parallel issue exhibits itself when you have "Christians" and "Muslims" arguing over who is right. Depending on how you see the world, you can only see one perspective and find it impossible to understand where the other side comes from. When I was a youngster, Science was a perspective and all sides were open for discussion and proof. No one assumed that they understood all of the little nuances of thought and open discussion was welcomed in the hope of discovering the truth. This has not happened with the scientific thought behind Global Warming. If we had accepted all of the ideas put forth by Al Gore in his propaganda movie, we would be awash in high water, the Polar Bears would all be dead, and people would be dying by the thousands. Instead, we are finding that things are pretty much the same as always, the earth has built in adjustment and compensating mechanisms, and the only constant that we see is that this issue has become a political religion with "believers" and "deniers" but we have somehow thrown true science out the window and we spend all of our time justifying our beliefs about how the world functions and damn those who see it any differently. So I read a book that has some very fine arguments about the foolishness going on with trying to get everyone to believe in some silly computer models that have shown we are on the "eve of destruction". When that destruction did not come to pass, as predicted by Al Gore and the likes, we change the discussion slightly but the basic belief remains the same. If somehow, we could get back to true "science" instead of pre-disposed ideology, then we might truly begin to understand what is going on. So, I challenge you to read the book and then we can have an informed discussion instead of a useless replay of political positions. Of course, I could get upset and chop off your head like the Christians and Muslims, but on the same vein, you could do the same to me. So when we get through chopping off our heads, I suspect that the world goes on doing its own thing, which it has been doing for millions of years anyway.

You found a book that backed up your opinion. I won't dismiss reading it, but I have been researching the book, and well...... and I guess I just can't buy your analogy --- two very different subjects. It just doesn't work. I have read the other side in the form of essays, etc., I just have more faith in the scientists.

Meantime, our recent trip to the the far north in Canada educated us that there are no deniers up there. They are living with the changes that have happened in the last few decades and sincerely concerned about the future as climate change is being accelerated by human activity. And that is not a political opinion, it is based upon the many studies down by the scientists that you don't trust.

Ni modo --- I can't wait to hear from some about the fact that Obama is in Alaska right now to personally witness many of the changes.

Oh, the question that is never answered is the conspiracy theory that somehow all of this is to gain money and control --- that has never been explained. :-)

Besides, if we made the changes to start taking better care of our earth and we later find out that it really is not a crisis, all we end up with is a better world to leave to our grandchildren.

As a side note, before anyone buys the outrage of some of the right wing about Obama "renaming" Mt. McKinley to Denali, please know that in Alaska it is known as Denali and do watch this video by the Conservative Senator from Alaska. Of course, some of the biggest noise is from Ohio politicians, McKinley's home state. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAn3aT8yfHc

On edit, I tried to embed it and still don't know how to do that.

[Edited on 9-1-2015 by DianaT]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If the sea levels are rising then that means all the mountain tops are lower since the height is in Feet Above Mean Sea Level. Think of all the maps that will need to be changed.

Always thinking ... :):)
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.