Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Fridge/Freezer options for Baja
Romano
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Too much soda pop Ken! Beer and water is the way to go...

I will be interested in what you discover... I have toyed with the idea of a unit that can run off the car when driving and then propane when camping (or solar during the day?).

4baja (Steve, Camp Gecko) had a Fridge/Freeze or some related-brand that ran on 110v to pre-cool at home, 12v DC while driving, and propane when in camp. Said it would run for days on a small propane bottle like we use for the stove.

Here is the problem with the kind of unit you are talking about. In order to run on propane, it has to be an ammonia absorption unit. Even on electric, it would still use the ammonia and just apply heat to it with current (AC/DC).

Ammonia units don't work above certain level of humidity and ambient temperature. It's just the nature of the beast. They also have be pretty level or you can run into trouble.

Today's compressors (Engel, ARB, FridgeFreeze) use a very small amount of electricity and don't need to be level.

BTW, I have an Engel, and it works very well. Just took it down to Gonzaga and it was HOT HOT HOT, very high humidity and no breeze to speak of. My Engel was running at about 3/4 setting, and kept the beer and food nice and cold. If I had turned it up any further the liquids would have frozen.

I also have a FridgeFreeze, which is built like a tank, but the price being what it is, is not worth the extra money. These are designed for medical transport, and unless you just beat the absolute hell out of your fridge in the bed of your truck, it's just not worth the extra money. Plus Engel has every accessory known to man available for it.

[Edited on 9-28-2015 by Romano]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 05:15 PM

I am interested in this, thanks... So, are you saying there is no more portable propane option fridge/freeze like what 4baja had at Camp Gecko way back in '01?

Electric only... low draw, but still don't ever want to have my car battery go dead like it did with my Koolatron fridge on Shell Island in 1979! It was supposed to space tech cooling with nearly no draw. That was before solar panels that plug into the cig lighter to charge your battery.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 08:07 PM

I'm leaning towards the ARB Fridge Freeze. I'll probably run a 2nd wet cell battery, get it wired professionally, and forget about it. Thanks for everyone's input on this! :bounce:

Romano
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 09:11 PM

I don't know if there are any or not. What I am saying is that they will not work in hot/humid weather because of the ammonia absorption mechanism.

And things have changed to much since 2001 that you would best be served with a 12/110 unit. There are many ways to ensure that your battery will not die. The simplest is probably a second battery with a automatic or manual disconnect when there is no charge from the vehicle or when the voltage falls below a preset level. Koolatron from 1979? Do you think maybe technology has improved in the meantime?

An Engel fridge, consumes less than a household lightbulb. Another setup would be a small solar panel. Forget the propane. It's a dinosaur.

[Edited on 9-29-2015 by Romano]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 05:55 AM

I agree with Romano..The Koolatron was POS even when it was new. New times, new stuff...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 06:55 AM

i was in Baja in August and my 3 way freezer was humming along at 40 degrees ABOVE zero! the ambient was +/- 115.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2015 at 08:27 AM

I took a yakima rack and installed a solar panel that hangs below the rack height connected to a charge controller that runs a secondary battery bank that can also be charged by the alternator w/ diode and fuse via voltage controlled relay switch that connects when the car is running. I would like to have an engel or similar fridge.

Comments about advantages of AGM and MPPT controllers vs lead acid flooded and PWM controllers is helpful in this regard. There can be issues with charge controllers or/and sinewave inverters causing fan noise and stereo audio noise that be reduced with filters and shunts.

A simple secondary battery connected to the alternator is sufficient for most purposes if you move often.

The battery should be installed in the right spot so gassing doesn't harm you and be secure and flat since baja roads are bumpy.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 07:00 AM

Here's a photo of the rack with solar panel, the advantage being you can remove it, lock it, or leave it at camp and there is a ton of power available to the battery bank. We've been experimenting with panels for ice making, fridges and lighting for camping.

IMG_20150823_135030_333 (2).jpg - 49kB
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 07:08 AM

nice!!!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 08:42 PM

I chose the Dometic CFX 65. I can't wait to load it full of food and tie it down in my Jeep!:bounce:

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 10:53 AM

It seems like all of these units are real pricey and are only about 2 cu. ft. What about buying something like an Avanti 3.5 cu. ft. and running it off of a 2000 watt inverter?

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
It seems like all of these units are real pricey and are only about 2 cu. ft. What about buying something like an Avanti 3.5 cu. ft. and running it off of a 2000 watt inverter?

Where would you keep that thing in Ken's Jeep?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 01:13 PM

in the front seat!

:lol:

o3dave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I chose the Dometic CFX 65. I can't wait to load it full of food and tie it down in my Jeep!:bounce:

Its a couple hundred cheaper than the similar sized Engel. Please let us know how it works out, amp draw and noise.

Still deciding. Thanks
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 01:48 PM

Ken, when I run my ARB unit, I generally keep the temperature at 32 degrees. When I park somewhere overnight, I leave it off so no current is being used. The next morning, when I start the FJ, the fridge shows a temperature increase of only two degrees. Not enough to worry about another battery or a very long extension cord.

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I'm leaning towards the ARB Fridge Freeze. I'll probably run a 2nd wet cell battery, get it wired professionally, and forget about it. Thanks for everyone's input on this! :bounce:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
If it takes a 2000 watt inverter to run, your battery wouldn't last long.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 11:14 AM

The Avanti dorm fridge and similar inexpensive dorm fridges care not one whit how efficient it is.

While they will require 80 to perhaps 130 watts when the compressor is running, they need an inverter in the 1200 watt range to handle the considerable start up surge.

The compressor motor might not like a Modified Square wave inverter and run hotter and even less efficient

There is no method to hold the door closed.

An inverter turned on powering nothing, stiull uses battery power.

My Coleman MSW inverter uses 0.72 amps turned on, powering nothing. My 12v Vitrifrigo Fridge rarely uses more than this in an hour.

So the Inverter powering a Dorm fridge might look good on paper, but one need 2 to 3x the battery capacity to power one, and there are reports they do not handle onroad vibrations very well and give up.

But then you also have a large inverter that someone might try and plug their hair drier into to really hammer your battery.

Nice Score on the Dometic fridge. I think they use the Waeco's new Compressor design, which is very similar to the Danfoss Secop.

You might consider running a Dedicated 12v receptacle from your engine battery for it over 10awg wire. Make sure to keep the vents unobstructed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4RYWF2/ref=s9_hps_bw_g2...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 08:48 PM
WAECO/DOMETIC CFX-DZ65 just arrived!

Here's what I bought...

The dual-zone (fridge AND freezer) CFX 65 qt. WAECO/DOMETIC is a monster inside of my Jeep. It fits, but not with much room to spare when placing it inside of my Jeep. I will have to remove the interior rack to make better room for the fridge.

I have to remove the rear window from my new soft top to get the CFX-65 inside of the Jeep. This is going to get old, real fast. For now, I'll remove my beloved AllJProducts rack that I bought specially for my Baja trips back in 2004 in order to make everything fit inside.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 10:36 PM

Cold beer is on you, Ken! See you on Basketball Hill!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2015 at 04:35 AM

Ken, its probably time to upgrade to a JKUR for adequate room. That Wrangler would be a 4 door
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.