Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Puerto Gato
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
I've got the time ... Guess i'll do both . :D Thanks for the idea motoged i would have never been able to think that up for myself .

By the way ... thanks for info david

L,
Don't be so modest..... ;D

David's maps are often quite helpful. Google even more so....

I am often surprised that more people don't do more of their own research on some BN topics.....

When I see a topic on BN that interests me, I read the comments and also google it to my satisfaction/frustration....

But that's just me...

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 01:51 PM

Sometimes people just like to read about Baja trips and don't care to or know how to look up online maps, but if it is right there with the posted trip report it can enhance the experience.

Many 'Baja people' have maps on our walls (such as the McMahan wall map) because it mentally takes us to the place we love. We look at a spot on the map and in our mind, we are there.

Maps and Baja are synonymous to me.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 02:59 PM

Many times I quit reading the trip report because 50 maps distract from what the original poster was saying,,,,,on top of having to wait for them to come up so we can get to the next comment.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
or...simply Google Puerto Gato Baja or Puerto Los Gatos Baja for some fine photos taken at the site.

[Edited on 12-11-2015 by Jack Swords]

The best way in today's modern world. Not only might a map pop up but lots of relevant information from multiple sources.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I would rather see any map from anyone then the negative posts, over and over, by the same few (one or two mostly) Nomads.

I did not need to be asked not to add a map, I offered, that is all.

One more negative comment and I will post the two maps I made... it's all on YOU Ralph.

Ohhh nooo pls. David. I'll be nice to you.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 03:47 PM

DK,
I started this thread asking about current road conditions to Puerto Gato with a link attached to a friend's blog that had some pictures of this cool location. I Googled the place name and Google-earthed the location (sat and map) for several hours before I posted this thread, so had no need for map info.

I also indicated that I was not asking for a ton of maps so as to avoid this thread deteriorating ( as it has) with your "help". I did not say people could not post a map.....and, as you may have read, others also found value in discovering Puerto Gato themselves through their own means, without being spoon-fed numerous maps.

Your confessed addiction to maps and your difficulty differentiating any conversation about Baja from one about cartographical queries has, unfortunately, contaminated a simple thread/question.

Please try and practice a bit of self control with your obsessive-compulsive trait. :fire:

P.S.
And "threatening" to post maps is infantile, mean-spirited, and generally a cretinous comment. :no:

[Edited on 11-12-2015 by motoged]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 04:04 PM

Classic........"cretinous comment" :lol:
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 05:32 PM

"Cretinous", that's great! Was this one of Bill O'Reilly's "word's of the day"? :biggrin:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
"Cretinous", that's great! Was this one of Bill O'Reilly's "word's of the day"? :biggrin:

Bill should be such a cunning linguist :biggrin:

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 07:53 PM

:) haha!!!... I can not stop laughing! Sooooo many levels of funny here! In any event, I am sure that anyone who gives a flock has gleaned all they need about the area in question if they so desired.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 08:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Bill should be such a cunning linguist :biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol: You crack me up, almost makes the whole map dustup worthwhile...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 10:43 PM

:lol::lol::lol: You crack me up, almost makes the whole map dustup worthwhile...

Almost.....:rolleyes:

Happy to offer some entertainment....

[Edited on 11-13-2015 by motoged]

stevetoluca

[*] posted on 11-13-2015 at 06:00 AM

Buen dia.
Just drove this road/track last week in to Puerto Gato and thennorth to the last ranch above Gato on the coast.
Left turn on 1st left past the LEY in C. Constitucion, follow it all the way out to Ejido 5, continue on to los Batequitos, and continue on to Tembabiche.
Tembabiche on to Puerto Gato is another half hour north.
Crunchy, sandy, but easy drive out, with 4WD needed intermittently for sandy/loose gravel stretches, and for the descent/ascent above Tembabiche.
Small "store" in Tembabiche 100 yards west of historic shell of pearler's mansion. Good place for advice as well.

Don't take your clean vehicle unless you want it "muy bien rayado" despues, as the access is quite narrow in many places, and the snarly desert flora will definitely leave its signature all down the sides of your vehicle.

I was delivering food, beer, water, fuel to one of my kayak groups that makes this Loreto/La Paz run regularly, and I usually resupply them via panga out of Agua Verde. For reasons of wind, I needed to get in via land, and after many years of driving most of the East/West tracks up and down the southern peninsula, I still had not driven this one.
Fantastic drive, stunningly beautiful, and no big deal if you are used to this sort of travel, have solid newer tires, can fix things when they break, and hopefully have an accompanying vehicle for the unexpected, as you'll be a long way form pretty much anything, at least as far as the southern Peninsula goes. There are some very friendly ranching families in both Tembabiche, and out north past Puerto Gato, and you'll feel good if you take some extra vegetables or fruit out to share with them in your inevitable contact. Gas is a great asset as well out there, for both their pangas, and for their vehicles. If you have enough to make it back yourself to C.Const. with no problem, consider pulling the siphon hose out, (Okie credit card), take a good pull, and share a few gallons with those guys. They tend to run around in their trucks out there enough in their daily meanderings, such that they often find themselves with not enough reserve to get back to Const. to resupply. Good solid guys, nice to know, and great to have on your side out there....

So here is the part you want to get right, and I almost didn't....

What happened is that I made a big assumption on this route, and it almost cost me, and I should have known better. A lot of these far, far, out ranches and fishing villages, well, they do all of their own road (if you can call them that on some stretches) repair, so that they can get in and out from time to time, (mostly they go by water, it is so much more efficient).
Well, most of these guys have small Toyota type pick up trucks, (almost all of them, to be precise), and they naturally just cut the passes, turns, etc. for their needs and vehicle sizes.
So after all of these years you would think I would have remembered that, but, well....I didn't think about it when talking to a rancher about the route. He just said "seguro, vas nececitar doble! es muy feo, la ruta!" ("for sure, you are going to need 4 wheel drive,(double traction), is very ugly, the route), so I thought, "no problem, 4 wheel drive I got plenty of..."
Well, one of my trucks was a nice little Toyota Tacoma, a bad ass little badger for sure.. but my other truck was an F250 Super Duty, king cab with a long bed....That means it's a beast, as far as eating up nasty, but it is also as long a friggin' city block, and making the tight turns on the steep and very narrow shoulders of the descent, was a glimpse in to hell....Stupid move, but hey....sittin' here typing, so we obviously live to see another day. Worse case scenario I think is that we just weren't going to make it, and there was no way in the world we were going to be able to back the thing back up the grade in reverse......not even close. So I should have played the tape out all the way in my head, before committing like I did with my bigger rig, but I didn't, and that got ugly quick...Basically had to just drive the right side of the truck right up against the side of the mountain, and scrape it along, (fortunately I have some aluminum running boards that clear the sidewall of the truck by an inch, and they took the abuse), knowing that if I could hear the scrape, I was at least not wasting even an inch of space on that side of the vehicle. Looking out and down from my open window on the left, I enjoyed the ghastly view of a few inches of rear tire hanging out in space, as I rounded the bend......'effin A!!!
Got her down, and then walked back up and brought my other smaller truck down. (my other driver, wouldn't even consider taking that on, and I couldn't/wouldn't ask him either.
No harm, no foul...all good....turn the music back up and onward.....

Same thing happened to me in southern Chile once, only the outcome was not so good. Really rainy there, similar descent, vehicle too wide to pass through, and no way in the world to get her back up the grade. Unloaded, pulled all of the good parts off, and gave her a good shove over the side. Sad, sorta, but ya' gotta keep movin' sometimes, and not hold the rest of the world up cause' you didn't do your homework......

Figure between 3-5 hours in to Tembabiche, from Const., depending on how loaded won you are, and how slow you are willing to go so as not to break anything. Another half hour to an hour on to P Gato...and another long half hour to the last ranchito/ true end of the road.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2015 at 06:14 AM

Great story. My Off Road friends (The Kelley's from Big Pine/Chivato) and I mite like to try that trip in are RZR. We went out to El Burro one time and that was fun. Love the Adventure.:bounce:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-13-2015 at 08:06 AM

was your last stop Rancho San Carlos or Rancho El Carrizalito?
Big Sandy wash or short,narrow valley?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2015 at 08:54 AM

Wonderful story Steve!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2015 at 09:11 AM

Thanks for the retelling of your great adventure! I had a big rig like that, takes an acre to turn around, got used to scouting ahead before tackling anything I didn't think I could back up/down. I would always keep track of the last turnaround so I knew how far I'd need to travel in reverse. Great rig for traveling but sometimes I had to walk that last mile to a destination.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2015 at 11:57 AM

Steve,
Muchas gracias....just the kind of info I was hoping for. :cool:

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 03:07 PM

Was in there by boat in 92. I don't know about there being two bays. I only noticed one.

If you make it in, at the South end of the bay there is a bank maybe ten or fifteen feet high with some boring looking round rocks embedded in the dirt. Like maybe coconut sized. Bash a few open until you get a hollow one. They are geodes and are full of beautiful quartz crystals.

Don't take them all. Leave most of them for future explorers.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 03:36 PM

You put it front of this group and say don't take it all?????/
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.