Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Best place to move for a couple and 2 dogs
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 04:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
It will be quite hot on the Sea of Cortez side in August...

Especially coming from Portland. Sounds fun though.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 05:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
It will be quite hot on the Sea of Cortez side in August...

Especially coming from Portland. Sounds fun though.

And hurricane season, too...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 05:51 AM

Alaska Airlines is flying in to La Paz again from LAX.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  
Alaska Airlines is flying in to La Paz again from LAX.

That is good news! Since this thread mentions taking dogs to Mexico, I would like to point out that Alaska airlines has restrictions on carrying 'short nose breeds' in the cargo area. Be sure and check their website to see if your dog's breed is listed before you go to check in.

Lie if you have to! my long legged pit bull mix is listed as a 'retriever mix' on the health certificate when I check in. I think next time, I may call her a 'ridge back mix'. With her eyes, long legs, and disposition, I think she can pull it off!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 09:26 AM
Dogger's

That means My Beautiful " Baja Purebreed" can fly First class !!
Erika128

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 04:53 PM

Hell, Portland is hot in August too! We may end up waiting until September or October also- it depends on how quickly we can get the house rented and other things tied up. Thank you for the info on flying, but we are going to drive down, dogs and all :) the pitbull is 13 years old and wouldn't do great on a plane - if they'd even let her on.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 05:24 PM

Are you aware that you are supposed to have the same proof of vaccinations, and health certificate from a veterinarian as if you were to fly down? In four trips exploring Baja with my old dog, I was never asked for them by US or MX checkpoints, but the requirement is still there, so I always have them.

Other things your dogs should have;

A beach to run on, even better if it has smelly things to roll on.
Shady spots to hang out in
A space with out spiny, thorny things all over it, at least until they learn about them
They should be able to bark in Spanish so they can properly claim their territory.
Lots of water, not just to drink, get them wet

Have a great trip!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 05:30 PM

Make sure they don't eat any pufferfish!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Erika128  
Hell, Portland is hot in August too! We may end up waiting until September or October also- it depends on how quickly we can get the house rented and other things tied up. Thank you for the info on flying, but we are going to drive down, dogs and all :) the pitbull is 13 years old and wouldn't do great on a plane - if they'd even let her on.

Is Portland "five-showers-a-day-and-still-sweating"-hot in August?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 06:11 PM

Seriously? August on the Sea of Cortez will make Portland seem like a deep freeze.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 06:22 PM

It is more the humidity and the difficulty sleeping without at least a fan to move the air... speaking as a camper on the Cortez in late July to early September. If you have a/c or a ceiling fan at night, then it is possible to live in La Paz or other Cortez side places all year.

However, don't disregard the recommendation for Bahia Asuncion made by Udo earlier in this thread. It is on the Pacific coast of Baja Sur, but the Vizcaino Peninsula seems to be free of the typical Pacific gloom and fog. Perhaps it is the way it juts out from the Baja peninsula or has south facing beaches?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Erika128

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 10:52 PM

Lol @Akgringo - definitely! the girls will be in heaven there, especially the old one, and I'm sure they'd love to eat and roll in all the smelly things if I'd let them. One has to be leashed all the time because she bolts, but the old pitbull is as reliable (and gluttonous) as they come.

I'll keep an a/c in the budget for nights :) I sleep with a fan on and a window cracked year round as is because I get weird about stuffy air. My boyfriend spent 2 summers ago in Beijing which seemed like literal filhy hell, so I'm sure he can handle it too. Seems like the further north from La Paz, the temps go down slightly.

Bahia Ascencion looks like a lovely community, but it seems more like a place to disconnect. I have to have daily internet for my job, for the next 30 years most likely :/

My grandparents told me that "Internet is easy in Mulege" but I'm not convinced that they have a good grasp on what that really means.

Vehicles: I've got a 4wd xterra, 2008 with 122k on it currently. Foresee any issues? It seems like most of Baja Sur is pretty well populated with mechanic-types..
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 12:46 AM

Welcome to Nomad, good luck with the move.

Agree with pet health documents to be safe. I've often traveled with dogs, never been asked but there's always a first time.

Also bring a good supply of flea/tick treatment and other meds which can be harder to find in MX. And fave pet food as you transition to common brands. (As with meds, not as many options)

Your Xterra should do well for rough spots. (Many of the baja sur highway is in better shape than northern.)

Enjoy!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 10:46 AM

So far as internet. we are in Mulege and have had very good luck with Telmex Infintium service at our casita.. We have been able to stream live tv through a slingbox and have several computers running at the same time since we wound up being the internet café for the park. Maybe we were just one of the luckier ones. We have heard tho that since Odile it would not so lucky... We have not had it connected since then...
As for a laid back great place to live Mulege to us is great.. Having visited several towns it just has a feel most don't, even with the hurricanes and flooding aftermath.. Couple of good markets, several good eateries, very friendly locals, not the big resort at all... Other shopping is not that far away.
good luck and happy house hunting

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 10:56 AM

Good weather analogy, David. The average year-round weather on our side of Bahia Asunción is about 73 degrees.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

It is more the humidity and the difficulty sleeping without at least a fan to move the air... speaking as a camper on the Cortez in late July to early September. If you have a/c or a ceiling fan at night, then it is possible to live in La Paz or other Cortez side places all year.

However, don't disregard the recommendation for Bahia Asuncion made by Udo earlier in this thread. It is on the Pacific coast of Baja Sur, but the Vizcaino Peninsula seems to be free of the typical Pacific gloom and fog. Perhaps it is the way it juts out from the Baja peninsula or has south facing beaches?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 11:17 AM

Check your U2U, top right of the page.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 11:20 AM

I also like Mulege. It has retained a certain feel that other towns in Baja have lost over the years, but if I had to pick a place right now to relocate to, my first choice would be Los Barriles.

It may be a smaller community than you want, but it is as close to an airport, shopping centers and night life as I will ever want to be. Kind of like Cabo forty years ago. There is even a computer tech support shop there, run by a young guy that I think is from the Pacific northwest area.

I am still exploring, but you should add it to your list of places to consider. La Ribera is nearby, and might also work for you, but I am not familiar with it well enough to make a recommendation. Keep in mind that I have spent no time in Baja during summer months!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Good weather analogy, David. The average year-round weather on our side of Bahia Asunción is about 73 degrees.

about the same as the wind speed! :lol:

]
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 01:56 PM

As long as you don't require high speed internet for work, you'll be okay most places. I've spent ~3 months telecommuting from Bahia Asuncion and various other locations in Baja. Even small villages have internet access through mobile phone connections these days - you can get a plan and use your phone as a wifi hotspot if need be. That said, high speed connections and reliability are certainly better near urban centers. You do need to prepare for things to happen at the speed of Mexico, though - the power will go out or a connection will fail and it may take hours or a day or two to come back up. Have a back up internet plan or flexible deadlines and good communication with folks back home.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 05:47 PM

So, at the end of the day, Erika, You and your family will have to make choices.

Climate- On the Pacific side such as Asuncion, relatively cool.

On the SOC side, hot, very hot.

Internet access is just about available everywhere; just that if you feel the need to stream videos, it won't work well everywhere.

In my experience, heading down the the Cuesta de Infierno into Santa Rosalia is jaw dropping.

And again, what are your needs for shopping? Mulege is a wonderful place, but, if you need to shop for more than the basics, Loreto offers much more. And you can take a day trip to La Paz to shop at the BIG stores such as Walmart and alike.

As a long time Baja traveler, my opinion is that you should really research the Loreto area.

La Paz is a big city and has just about all the amenities anyone would want, including traffic. But you can easily make a day trip to La Paz from Loreto.

Not so much in the way of amenities in Loreto. But so much more peaceful.

Best of luck in making your decision.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.