Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Solar System Energy Storage
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2016 at 05:09 PM

The ambient temperature of the batteries is another factor, the cooler the battery stays the better they perform and the longer they will last.

Put your batteries in an underground concrete and closed cell foam insulated transformer vault that is totally hidden. (avoids theft of your batteries) The lid on my ALARMED vault in La Paz county AZ requires a tractor to move and lift.
The batteries are also positioned deep enough that the F**ing Meth heads can't get at them with there needle tracked, jail tatted, weak ass arms:fire: They all watched me put them in the vault (like they will in Baja too) and the copper and lead had them drooling, but there still there over two years now

Better yet is a LNG or solar powered refrigeration unit and evap coils integrated into the battery vault upper wall surfaces, the cold sinks down to keep them batteries cool soaked.

Check out the UPS for a data center, the battery rooms are kept real cool.

Es Todo Bueno
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2016 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
The float and charge rate had to be configured for the Lithium batteries. It is done on settings. I can check with the person that did this. I know nothing about the system but have a friend who lives down here that did the instillation and system adjustment. His house has the new Lithium batteries and he runs an electric dryer, two refrigerators, two freezers, and a complete house and he is usually full by 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning.

I am well aware of how to change the charge parameters in the outback inverters. I am not aware of a lithium ion battery bank in a 12, 24 or 48 volt configuration that has the amp hour capacity to run a house off grid. An electric dryer is impressive. Do you happen to have a link to where these battery banks are available?

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Fastbird
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2016 at 07:45 PM
Solar energy storage

Pescadero, I too would like info on any lithium ion battery system that is working with our typical off grid systems in Baja. Like brand, supplier, model, size, voltage etc.
Thanks
Fastbird
Punta Chivato
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fastbird  
Pescadero, I too would like info on any lithium ion battery system that is working with our typical off grid systems in Baja. Like brand, supplier, model, size, voltage etc.
Thanks
Fastbird
Punta Chivato

Just Check Larry Deakyne's house next season, John got him a full set of batteries for his system.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
just so you understand ...I love "battery talk"

your friend at 10:30 or 11:00 be full voltage wise but that doesn't mean the batteries are full OR even working...

that means the charging system is working...he has enough solar panels

the ONLY way to see if the batteries are charged with voltage is to see if they last thru the night with enough power to "make coffee" in the morning

Of course, you are right, but not only does the system make coffee, run the dishwasher, but the electric dryer is on the system too. You should stop by when you are up in our neck of the woods and see this system.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Edguero  
Bought 8 Sun Xtender PVX3050T 3 years ago, super happy with them.
www.sunxtender.com/

That's what we use for our house. They've been going full-time for 6 years, I did have to replace one that went bad a couple of years ago. You need to monitor them closely if you have parallel connections as some can be constantly over or under charged. I separate mine and run them for a few days, in 2 series only banks, a couple of times a year and rotate them around.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
The float and charge rate had to be configured for the Lithium batteries. It is done on settings. I can check with the person that did this. I know nothing about the system but have a friend who lives down here that did the instillation and system adjustment. His house has the new Lithium batteries and he runs an electric dryer, two refrigerators, two freezers, and a complete house and he is usually full by 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning.

I am well aware of how to change the charge parameters in the outback inverters. I am not aware of a lithium ion battery bank in a 12, 24 or 48 volt configuration that has the amp hour capacity to run a house off grid. An electric dryer is impressive. Do you happen to have a link to where these battery banks are available?
Yeah, an electric dryer typically uses 3-5KW. A battery would have to have a huge capacity to run that. I'd really be interested in more details on that system.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 02:27 PM

my dryer is electric...but...the flame for the heat is propane powered...

maybe there is a miscommunication on what is really is

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 08:19 PM

Nope, it is an electric dryer and they use the dishwasher with dry cycle all the time.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2016 at 06:05 AM

wow...I had to take out the dishwasher because I couldn't stop using the dry cycle and it SUCKED the power...but it worked..and the dishwasher uses much more water than washing by hand because I couldn't stop "pre-washing" before the dishes went in

a dryer runs about 45 minutes...my 9amp pool pump runs 30 minutes at a time but lowers the voltage at the last few minutes...so that's possible...we just run the pool pump several times a day after the batteries "catch-up"

our website is:
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2016 at 06:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
wow...I had to take out the dishwasher because I couldn't stop using the dry cycle and it SUCKED the power...but it worked..and the dishwasher uses much more water than washing by hand because I couldn't stop "pre-washing" before the dishes went in

a dryer runs about 45 minutes...my 9amp pool pump runs 30 minutes at a time but lowers the voltage at the last few minutes...so that's possible...we just run the pool pump several times a day after the batteries "catch-up"

We are running all the above mentioned stuff too. But we have over 6000 watts of panels on the roof and use 12 big 4 volt Rolls 320 pound batteries. I had one short out and it is costing me $1,700 to get it here including shipping and duty. Ouch!

Great idea on running the pool hour on, hour off etc. That is the only thing that saps our system to shutoff when we are not here to monitor it in the summer. After a couple days of heavy cloud cover the whole system shuts off. It all comes back up when the sun shines but the analog pool timer gets off kilter and comes on at the wrong time like when it is dark outside. This takes the batteries down again. I need a battery backup type timer for the pool I know. But running for a while and then off for a while to get the total run time I need might just be the answer.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2016 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
What kind of pump are you running?

Might be time, or not, for a change.

EcoPump

Yes, it is almost time to do the switcheroo. Those two speed eco pumps are really cool. Hard to spend the dough when you have a perfectly good pump that works just fine. Same goes for the batteries. I have been watching the evolution to new battery tech, but hope I can nurse my babies for another several years. Almost 11 years in on the big red monsters so far, would be great to get 20.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2016 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
What kind of pump are you running?

Might be time, or not, for a change.

EcoPump

Yes, it is almost time to do the switcheroo. Those two speed eco pumps are really cool. Hard to spend the dough when you have a perfectly good pump that works just fine. Same goes for the batteries. I have been watching the evolution to new battery tech, but hope I can nurse my babies for another several years. Almost 11 years in on the big red monsters so far, would be great to get 20.

those 2 speed pumps really don't save money when you are off the grid...they ARE required in California for new pools so later that's all we'll be able to buy

the ONLY way to really clean is at the higher voltage to run the "pool vac" and skimmer...at the lower speed the sweeper doesn't work well

no real need to filter a small amount of water all day...
chemicals do most of the cleaning work now days...oil slicks and all...

the "swimming season" in baja is may till nov...after that it gets too cold...no one swims...wind-chill deters swimmers

as for 2-4-6-8 volt batteries...I still think 12v is the way to go
just about every car and truck runs on a 12v battery and they all die eventually...

my golf cart had 8v batteries...I replaced them with 12v and a couple of solar panels...haven't plugged it in for over a year and a half...

i like the idea of this new battery stuff...but for now i'd stay with stuff that has been proven year after year...let someone else be the guinea pig

kayaktrailer.jpg - 185kB

our website is:
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2016 at 10:30 AM

https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Can you explain what you mean about the "Outback had to be reconfigured"? How is that done?

I think I wrote this earlier - zero Absorb time, zero Float voltage. When Li battery is full - or 90% full, whatever the manual recommends - charging must stop completely. No floating.

It will take some years for Li to break-even with AGM and flooded, in terms of cycle cost.
Fastbird
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 08:35 AM
Solar Energy Storage

Hi Pescadero Jim, do you have email or phone contact for John ( your neighbor) that is installing Lithium Ion batteries like Larry has ordered?
Rick
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fastbird  
Hi Pescadero Jim, do you have email or phone contact for John ( your neighbor) that is installing Lithium Ion batteries like Larry has ordered?
Rick

Check your U2U
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 06:29 AM

I have seen the future. Lithium Iron.

Our friends Lynn and Lynn in Zacatitos replaced their 10 year old+ bank of 24 2-volt Rolls batteries with 4 150 lb 48-volt lithium iron batteries. I don't know all the specs and will try to get more info, but it was very impressive to see the relatively little batteries taking up so little space in their big battery room.

Lynn did a lot of research and talked to many, many experts before he chose these particular batteries. He is kind of a guinea pig on this because there are not many installations like his out there.

He is using his old Outback inverter system and running a good sized house, guest house, pool and all the regular stuff. Cost was about the same as replacing all the old Rolls batteries. $20K for 4 batteries. The good news is that he did not have to pay 35% to a shipper. Brought them down in his pickup.

There seem to be so many advantages to these. Don't have to water. They like it hot outside. You can run them down to 20% if you have to. They charge up in 1/4 the time. Long life. Since each battery is 48 volts they can stand alone to run the house, you could buy two or three and then add another if you wanted more juice at a later date.

I really just got to see them and talk with Lynn for a while so I don't have much more info than this. He promised to email me more details and source info. I will post when I get it.

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 09:38 AM

Looking forward to more info on these Li batteries. This is the fist I have heard of Li batteries in 48 volts.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 09:41 AM

OK, here is a link to who provided Lynn's batteries;

http://lithionicsbattery.com/product-category/48-volt/

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.