Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Long term living in Baja
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
To the OP:
You are evaluating living in baja but have never visited baja?
Whatever.

If you find the PNW gloomy, try Spokane. Its less gloomy, a pretty nice city, relatively inexpensive, and close to many great natural areas.

Whatever? It is my choice to check it out. I am choosing Baja for my own reasons. Spokane winters are too long and harsh for me.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 02:47 PM

sounding more and more like others have suggested, punta banda may be be a good fit! :yes:
check out Irka's site. http://bajarealestateandrentals.com/long-term-rentals/
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 02:55 PM

Just want to say thank you to all the posters who have given me so much information and leads. You have given me so many ideas and places to check out in planning my trip down, which will probably be mid-July. I'm a firm believer in research first, before you get into an area you don't know, and the responses so far have been friendly and helpful, more than you know.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Sunshine1-

I agree that Ensenada is worth a serious look, or some of the surrounding towns in that vicinity. I lived in the community of San Miguel many years ago, a few miles north of Ensenada, and enjoyed it on many levels.

The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging.

As for the city: It is a historic port with a strong university & research community, and that level of education & commerce brings all the benefits of comparable cities in the US: good economy based on import/export, tourism, cultural/language diversity, arts & entertainment, excellent restaurants and good medical care.

You have CostCo and other big retailers for shopping for familiar products. And that economic diversity/stability means (for the most part) a safe environment for residents. It is an established community- not a tourist town.

Perhaps you could find a small place a short drive away, in San Antonio de los Minas? Or La Mision?

And if you enjoy food & wine, anything near Valle Guadalupe will be an excellent choice. And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk.

As others suggest: find time to travel there, visit and stay in some of the AirBnB places, talk to the locals and learn what they like/dislike about living there.

Good hunting & enjoy the research!

(edited to add weather/safety comments)

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by Whale-ista]

Definitely this!
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Sunshine1-

I agree that Ensenada is worth a serious look, or some of the surrounding towns in that vicinity. I lived in the community of San Miguel many years ago, a few miles north of Ensenada, and enjoyed it on many levels.

The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging.

As for the city: It is a historic port with a strong university & research community, and that level of education & commerce brings all the benefits of comparable cities in the US: good economy based on import/export, tourism, cultural/language diversity, arts & entertainment, excellent restaurants and good medical care.

You have CostCo and other big retailers for shopping for familiar products. And that economic diversity/stability means (for the most part) a safe environment for residents. It is an established community- not a tourist town.

Perhaps you could find a small place a short drive away, in San Antonio de los Minas? Or La Mision?

And if you enjoy food & wine, anything near Valle Guadalupe will be an excellent choice. And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk.

As others suggest: find time to travel there, visit and stay in some of the AirBnB places, talk to the locals and learn what they like/dislike about living there.

Definitely this!

"The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging."

So what do you do for water?

" And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk."

I LOVE the trees and hills; not living on the beach. I have my small dog, and we do morning and evening walks, which is a very necessary and fulfilling for both of us. (my dog is my child/best friend.) Are the cities mentioned above located in that kind of terrain? That would be heaven for us. I still cannot find a good map online that shows much. I would definitely have to have a furnished little place; no apartment or condo. Also, are landlords down there pet friendly? Thank you.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 06:16 PM

IF someone hasn't suggested in this thread "renting" ... Would offer renting for a year to evaluate and investigate various locations and find one which fits what you are looking for ... rent is relatively inexpensive, IF one looks around
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 07:28 PM

This is what I did.

Got layed off from my job. Played beach bum in Newport Beach for about year and then decided to take a road trip with a very loose itenerary.
Basically a baja route 66 type trip. I brought camping gear but had a $20/night motel budget so never had to camp.
I ended up being on that trip for about 4 months.
The purpose? Soul searching and scouting for the future location of my beach camp.
I saw a lot and did a lot.
It changed my life and I'll never be the same.
I looked everywhere and finally found my spot at the end of the trip when I was on my way home.
You'll know it when you see it.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 07:46 PM

wessongroup: Many have, and that is exactly what I would do.

fishbuck: Age, abilities and resources has everything have everything to do with everything. You sound happy, and I am happy for you.

"You'll know it when you see it." Brilliant, and so true in life.

Thank you both.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 08:00 PM

go for it. the first time I visited Mexico (from the PNW) I ended up staying a year. be prepared to try out options, and stay longer than you plan :).
trees? dunno. maybe. I'm on the Sea of Cortez in Loreto, not too many here, and too far south for you.
have always wondered about Ejido Eréndira, may be too far south for your parameters, 100 km south of Ensendada, if not, perhaps worth a look.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2016 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sunshine1  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Sunshine1-

Definitely this!

"The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging."

So what do you do for water?

" And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk."

I LOVE the trees and hills; not living on the beach. I have my small dog, and we do morning and evening walks, which is a very necessary and fulfilling for both of us. (my dog is my child/best friend.) Are the cities mentioned above located in that kind of terrain? That would be heaven for us. I still cannot find a good map online that shows much. I would definitely have to have a furnished little place; no apartment or condo. Also, are landlords down there pet friendly? Thank you.

There are tons of homes up in the hills overlooking the city. You need to find an agent.
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-24-2016 at 04:59 PM

Can you suggest an agent that is not only interested in selling you land or renting their high priced rentals?

In a post above, I mentioned friends that have built it Baja Asuncion. They gave me their realtor's name; I called her. She was not helpful in the least, unless I wanted to buy property or get into vacation rentals. I am not looking for either one. I want long-term at a reasonable rate. Thanks in advance.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2016 at 05:05 PM

Can you suggest an agent that is not only interested in selling you land or renting their high priced rentals?

In a post above, I mentioned friends that have built it Baja Asuncion. They gave me their realtor's name; I called her. She was not helpful in the least, unless I wanted to buy property or get into vacation rentals. I am not looking for either one. I want long-term at a reasonable rate. Thanks in advance.

did you try......http://bajarealestateandrentals.com/long-term-rentals/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-24-2016 at 05:07 PM

Contact Irka and explain what you want. she may be able to help

http://bajarealestateandrentals.com/contact-an-agent/

Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-24-2016 at 05:09 PM

bajaguy---Muchas gracias.
TomasGS

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 08:19 PM

http://www.marazulensenada.com/english/index.php

Just came back from a great weekend stay at Marazul in Punta Banda Ensenada.
The manager is Architect Carlos Zepeda, I think he can offer you several good options.
I hope you find what you are looking for.
gschroder

[*] posted on 6-26-2016 at 01:51 PM

I just found this forum and registered. Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding information for the safe areas to live in Baja Norte, not too far from the CA border, long term, affordable furnished small rentals---house, cabin, cottage, preferably on the Pacific side? I am a retired single. I know nothing about the cities or terrain, but do not prefer to be right on the beach unless necessary. Also have a small dog and like to go for walks. Would like some trees. Any of the websites I have found are sponsored by Property Managements and Vacation rentals, and display large and expensive rentals. I would like to talk to retirees who have already made this move and are happy with their choice. Also the negative. The 2 most important things to me are safety and affordability. Thank you.

Hi Sunshine! Check your U2U inbox.
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-26-2016 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gschroder  
I just found this forum and registered. Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding information for the safe areas to live in Baja Norte, not too far from the CA border, long term, affordable furnished small rentals---house, cabin, cottage, preferably on the Pacific side? I am a retired single. I know nothing about the cities or terrain, but do not prefer to be right on the beach unless necessary. Also have a small dog and like to go for walks. Would like some trees. Any of the websites I have found are sponsored by Property Managements and Vacation rentals, and display large and expensive rentals. I would like to talk to retirees who have already made this move and are happy with their choice. Also the negative. The 2 most important things to me are safety and affordability. Thank you.

Hi Sunshine! Check your U2U inbox.

Hola!! I'm in the same boat, camel, youtube etc.!!
BugdudeAZ

[*] posted on 12-17-2016 at 04:21 PM

Curious as to some practical information:

Costs/prices of taxes, gasoline, groceries, utilities inc. wifi access, auto repair; ...

or potential of crime or harassment, general local's disposition toward American's?
BugdudeAZ

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BugdudeAZ  
Curious as to some practical information:

Costs/prices of taxes, gasoline, groceries, utilities inc. wifi access, auto repair; ...

or potential of crime or harassment, general local's disposition toward American's?

... yea, that's pretty much what I figured.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
go for it. the first time I visited Mexico (from the PNW) I ended up staying a year
How do you stay for a year when FMM is only valid for 6 months?

I'd like to stay longer than 6 mo myself - but how without returning NOB and then re-entering Mexico? I'm near La Paz so returning to border would be a major hassle and expense.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.