Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Long term living in Baja
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 08:37 PM

Sunshine1 welcome. Sorry but this is a very negative forum. You will get some help and you will get a lot of negative BS
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 08:46 PM

Sunshine1, I think your reply's are spot on, and welcome. Quite a few folks find this forum, ask a question or two, and are never heard from again to let us know what they thought of all the information or advice they got.

Getting away from northwest gloom makes sense. I don't mind storms, as long as there are dry sunny days in between. I leave Alaska in the winter these days, but stay in northern CA and buy a season pass at a ski area, so my perspective is warped!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
Sunshine1 welcome. Sorry but this is a very negative forum. You will get some help and you will get a lot of negative BS

AugaDulce, did my reply sound negative? If so, I sincerely apologize, I knew that I could not offer much useful info, but I was interested in welcoming a new member, and following the information flow.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 09:45 PM

Agua, I have only been on here since this afternoon. I have been welcomed in a good way and have felt every poster had something to offer. I am open to any and all helpful comments/suggestions. As I said earlier, I have never even been to Baja but have some friends who retired and recently built a home in Baja Ascuncion. Watching their home being constructed through many, many photos, which included other things/surroundings I don't think that is the place for me. There are good and bad people everywhere; I choose to go in thinking most people want to share their experience to be helpful.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 07:49 AM
Ensenada options

Sunshine1-

I agree that Ensenada is worth a serious look, or some of the surrounding towns in that vicinity. I lived in the community of San Miguel many years ago, a few miles north of Ensenada, and enjoyed it on many levels.

The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging.

As for the city: It is a historic port with a strong university & research community, and that level of education & commerce brings all the benefits of comparable cities in the US: good economy based on import/export, tourism, cultural/language diversity, arts & entertainment, excellent restaurants and good medical care.

You have CostCo and other big retailers for shopping for familiar products. And that economic diversity/stability means (for the most part) a safe environment for residents. It is an established community- not a tourist town.

Perhaps you could find a small place a short drive away, in San Antonio de los Minas? Or La Mision?

And if you enjoy food & wine, anything near Valle Guadalupe will be an excellent choice. And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk.

As others suggest: find time to travel there, visit and stay in some of the AirBnB places, talk to the locals and learn what they like/dislike about living there.

Good hunting & enjoy the research!

(edited to add weather/safety comments)

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 08:21 AM

Don't overlook Playas de Tijuana, I live there, on a hillside overlooking the beach. Its a beautiful and peaceful location. About 1/2 mile to the sea. Basically at KM 0, so close to the border you can see it. Rent is $US 350/month. The advantage of living here is that there is lots to do, if you like festivals, entertainment, education, art, music, food, you will like it here. Weather is more mild than further south.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  

that is quite accurate
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sunshine1  
"Where have you been in Baja? I live in America so I can't tell you how it is to live in Baja. You want trees? Not many of those around..........

Eliminating TJ and Rosarito, I would think your only other options are Ensenada and San Quintin if you want to live close to the border. You could try San Felipe if you like it hot."

I have never been to Baja. That's why I have so many questions.

Baja California is in America as well. What you will find is each answer to you question is prejudiced by the experiences of the poster. especially if they live there. Most people that live in Ensenada, live there for a reason,....They like it. May I suggest, since you have never been outside the USA, is you take a couple of vacations to Baja first...Then ask your questions about living there. There are many facebook pages that focus on a particular area/city. Best of luck!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 09:33 AM

To the OP:
You are evaluating living in baja but have never visited baja?
Whatever.

If you find the PNW gloomy, try Spokane. Its less gloomy, a pretty nice city, relatively inexpensive, and close to many great natural areas.
SteveWil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 10:39 AM

I think you have a good list of towns to start with from above, plan a month long visit to a couple of them, you can find short term rental or stay at a mexico hotel or B&B. Even if you do not decide to move to Baja I think you will find it a trip you will remember and smile.

The site I posted as I said is mostly main land and Baja is different but Mexico is Mexico, and a lot of things she talks about are true for both. (I am thinking the people.)

Good luck on your search.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 10:43 AM

bajagrouper, I have no idea about any of the particulars. I am just beginning my inquiries, and was told this is a reputable and helpful website so I thought I would give it a try. I'm sure there will be some difficult parts, but I hope some of you can make me aware of the pitfalls. Another important thing to me is the weather. Can no longer take hard winters. If you never ask, you will never know, so just trying to learn from other's experiences---the good and the bad.

I'm with you as far as hard winters go. Here's a photo from February 2015 here in New England.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 10:59 AM

Most hotels will give a a long term rate that is about ½ the going daily rate.

Quote: Originally posted by SteveWil  
I think you have a good list of towns to start with from above, plan a month long visit to a couple of them, you can find short term rental or stay at a mexico hotel or B&B. Even if you do not decide to move to Baja I think you will find it a trip you will remember and smile.

The site I posted as I said is mostly main land and Baja is different but Mexico is Mexico, and a lot of things she talks about are true for both. (I am thinking the people.)

Good luck on your search.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

WhackAMolE
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
Don't overlook Playas de Tijuana, I live there, on a hillside overlooking the beach. Its a beautiful and peaceful location. About 1/2 mile to the sea. Basically at KM 0, so close to the border you can see it. Rent is $US 350/month. The advantage of living here is that there is lots to do, if you like festivals, entertainment, education, art, music, food, you will like it here. Weather is more mild than further south.

Hi, can you please say more about how you found your place? I live in Ensenada and I agree with others that it's a great spot for safety and a pleasant lifestyle. I'd like to move closer to the border and looked at Playas but the rents seemed a lot higher than that.
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 01:17 PM

How do I respond to posters on the forum so they show? Doesn't U2U do directly to a particular poster and not show up on the forum? I am technically challenged.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 01:20 PM

How do I respond to posters on the forum so they show? Doesn't U2U do directly to a particular poster and not show up on the forum? I am technically challenged.

If you hit the quote button, as I just did, you respond so everyone can see. U2U is for private/secret :lol: communications.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 01:22 PM

Take your time...I have seen many the buy and then want to sell a year later (some at a loss) ...It was not what they envisioned.
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

If you hit the quote button, as I just did, you respond so everyone can see. U2U is for private/secret :lol: communications.
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Ok. Just did. Thank you.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 01:35 PM

Click on the
Quote:
button at the upper right of the poster's post.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Click on the
Quote:
button at the upper right of the poster's post.

Thank you!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.