Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Long term living in Baja
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 03:09 PM

When you get to La Paz with a current FMM go to INM and apply for either a temporary or permanent residency status.
No problem that is what we all do. You have 6 months to process the documents and get the ID card.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
When you get to La Paz with a current FMM go to INM and apply for either a temporary or permanent residency status.
No problem that is what we all do. You have 6 months to process the documents and get the ID card.

That process now has to start at your local Mexican Consulate. La Paz won't start that process - they can finish it but not start it.

Andy
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 05:24 PM

We got our PR in San Felipe and did not need to go to the consulate.
Maybe we need a La Paz person with the experience?
Maybe it was because we converted from FM to PR?
WhackAMolE
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 07:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sunshine1  
Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding information for the safe areas to live in Baja Norte, not too far from the CA border ...

First, how far is "not too far" from the border? I've been living in Ensenada for four years now. I'm an hour and 45 minutes from the border, plus whatever the wait at the border is that day. (That's a big subject by itself, which I can sum up as follows: the border wait sucks). On average I can be in downtown San Diego in three hours on a good day.

If you want to be closer, the choices are TJ and Rosarito.

I feel very safe where I live. I've had some property crime but I had property crime when I lived in a nice neighborhood in northern California too. There's no cartel activity to speak of in Ensenada, whereas TJ is cartel central and some of that spills down to Rosarito. It's very orderly and peaceful where I live.

Check the TJ Craigslist for more leads. https://tijuana.craigslist.com.mx/

A lot of Americans live exactly as you want to down here. If you live close enough to make a couple of research trips down here that's the best way to go. Get the feel of the place, narrow down a few areas you're interested in.

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by WhackAMolE]
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 09:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Maybe it was because we converted from FM to PR?

That is correct. Starting the process without prior FMx status is what requires the Consulate visit.

Andy
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.