BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Best fridge for solar power
laidback

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 07:38 AM

Thanks rts, I was thinking of the samsung also. Glad to hear it is working well for you. I like inverter concept, no hard start and corresponding hi start wattage. Keep those beers cold
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I've found that putting ac in the kitchen works best...

most people just think of the bedroom for sleeping

we just have regular fridges and ac in the kitchen when it get too hot

keeping the temp down makes it easier to eat too : )

No AC in the kitchen for me then. I have a hard enough time staying in shape, last thing I need to do is make it easier to eat!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by laidback  
Thanks rts, I was thinking of the samsung also. Glad to hear it is working well for you. I like inverter concept, no hard start and corresponding hi start wattage. Keep those beers cold

its not the "hard start" of the fridge that hurts its the continual voltage used

I wonder if inverter units are actually worse for battery operations since they run the compressor all the time

as for beer...its good but its not goof for you when it really hot...you dehydrate...water is better
too bad

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 09:45 AM

its not the "hard start" of the fridge that hurts its the continual voltage used

I wonder if inverter units are actually worse for battery operations since they run the compressor all the time

as for beer...its good but its not goof for you when it really hot...you dehydrate...water is better
too bad

Based on energy consumption they are one of the most efficient made.

https://news.samsung.com/global/how-the-digital-inverter-com...

I can not find the energy rating but based on consumption at the inverter, very little.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

too bad

Based on energy consumption they are one of the most efficient made.

https://news.samsung.com/global/how-the-digital-inverter-com...

I can not find the energy rating but based on consumption at the inverter, very little.

variable speed compressors....imagine if you hotrodded one of these fridges for hot weather applications! :yes:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 10:01 AM

I want to instal a kitchen fridge and run it on solar. Any recomondations on make/model?

With very few exceptions, 120V fridges in offgrid homes run on battery through inverter - not on solar. Even those designed for 12V wouldn't run on solar in the night, for obvious reasons ;)...

Most models with Energy Star rating should be fine. About 300W of solar and 300 AH of battery bank will be needed for the fridge alone, so your powerhouse has to be big enough to run your other loads as well. If your kitchen is close to bedroom, make sure it doesn't make much noise especially when starting and stopping - compressor fridges have been known to do this.

[Edited on 8-23-2016 by Alm]
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 12:54 PM

For your viewing pleasure:
Annual consumption of the Samsung inverter refrigerators:
14 cu/ft = 298 KWh/yr
19 cu/ft - 300 - 349 KWh/yr
25 cu/ft - 695 KWh/yr (this is a french door refrigerator)
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
14 cu/ft = 298 KWh/yr

so what does that mean ?

our website is:
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 02:55 PM

unfortunately not much, stats can't take in account for ambient temperature or more importantly, the amount of time and duration its opened, still looks like badazz fridges though! :yes:
and from what i've seen over at NAWS at least some of the models have condenser coils on the back making added insulation easy!
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 04:11 PM

Have a friend that converted an upright freezer to solar fridge.. Seems to work great.. I don't have all the particulars yet but hope to before we head south in Oct..
Freezer has better insulation I rekon. he runs everything totally off his solar system...
Will share when I get the info....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
laidback

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 04:32 PM

Great information. I know enerstar ratings are only for comparing apples to apples, and they do say their power needs. 14cu ft uses about .9 0f a kiliwatt for the day. Pretty much the same draw as a stand up fan. The reason I mentioned soft start is that you don't need as big an inverter.
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 04:55 PM

Great information. I know enerstar ratings are only for comparing apples to apples, and they do say their power needs. 14cu ft uses about .9 0f a kiliwatt for the day. Pretty much the same draw as a stand up fan. The reason I mentioned soft start is that you don't need as big an inverter.

absolutely. I really like the idea of using multiple inverters sized correctly for the appliance, but even better, old school DC appliances. a television or sat receiver is nothing more than a DC appliance with a useless rectifier circuit that just cost extra amps to run, but unfortunately DC appliances cost more when they should really be cheaper! DC led lights, fans, tv's, throw in a DC fridge and the only thing you need a inverter for are your power tools.
blah blah blah thats my rant im stickin to it!:lol:
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 05:11 PM

14 cu/ft = 298 KWh/yr

so what does that mean ?

It's only an approximate measurement of the electrical consumption per year. You'd need to get the same kilowatt hours per year estimate from the specifications of other non-inverter refrigerator(s) you may be considering purchasing, so you can get an idea of how much power they use, in order to compare the two.

This may be helpful (statement from Samsung): "The benefits are obvious. A refrigerator with a Samsung digital inverter compressor consumes up to 46.9% less energy than a single-speed induction motor compressor, and thus contributes far less in the way of greenhouse gases. Because the digital inverter compressor gradually speeds up and slows down, it does not have to work as hard to manage the temperature. This means that refrigerators with digital inverter compressors suffer less wear and tear on components and are therefore far more durable than fridges with conventional compressors. This has allowed Samsung to offer a 10-year warranty on its digital inverter compressors." -This is from the Samsung statement that rtss555 provided a link-to a few posts back.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 05:30 PM

all these "stats" are probably taken at 60f not 100f

when it gets hot and humid all "stats" can be thrown out the door

comparing apples to apples still needs samples at the worst conditions

opening the door is one that should be included

my batteries seem to fall if I use continues draw
example is I can use my pool pump 4 times a day at 1/2 hour times and not drain the batteries
but if I would use it 2 hours straight I would drain the batteries

this inverter compressor stuff is still not proven to be a savings using off grid equipment...beware until its proven

our website is:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 05:37 PM

Also consider drinking 16 oz beers instead of 12 oz beers. Fewer door openings to maintain an appropriate blood alcohol content. :D
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 06:11 PM

all these "stats" are probably taken at 60f not 100f

when it gets hot and humid all "stats" can be thrown out the door

comparing apples to apples still needs samples at the worst conditions

opening the door is one that should be included

my batteries seem to fall if I use continues draw
example is I can use my pool pump 4 times a day at 1/2 hour times and not drain the batteries
but if I would use it 2 hours straight I would drain the batteries

this inverter compressor stuff is still not proven to be a savings using off grid equipment...beware until its proven

I can only provide my experience over the last year.
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Also consider drinking 16 oz beers instead of 12 oz beers. Fewer door openings to maintain an appropriate blood alcohol content. :D

AMEN to that brother:lol::lol:
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 08:57 PM

one of the few "problems" with the variable speed compressors is that they're slow to cool...not unlike my sunfrost with old slow turning BD50 danfoss compressors,not at all a problem if you're there for awhile, but what we do is load all the beer into the chest freezer that cools quickly then transfer it into the heavily insulated sunfrost, remember that chest freezer conversions are dirt cheap and free to run during sunlight hours.
its all about cold beer right?:coolup:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 09:11 PM

14 cu/ft = 298 KWh/yr

so what does that mean ?

It means that inverter fridges don't save a whole lot of energy.

0.9 KWH a day for 14 cf fridge is the same as a regular on-off fridge with Energy Star rating would consume. There exist less efficient ES-rated models, but mid-priced units from known brands would draw the same 0.9-1.0.

Most importantly, Energy Star rating assumes certain testing protocol. The numbers for ES-rated models are accurate but... but... "estimated energy use" is for a normal household, not when it hits 100F while you're not home and A/C is off.

Now, how Mr Samsung got his numbers for inverter models, and whether he followed the same ES protocol, is a bigger mystery yet.

Soft-start for compressor fridge is not terribly important. The spike is short, doesn't affect total daily KWH. Yes, inverter for a on-off compressor fridge should be bigger than 80-100W of regular running power. 1,000W inverter should suffice.

BD Danfoss compressor is a different creature. It is 12V, no DC-AC inverter is needed. Prices of these kind of fridges are astronomic.

[Edited on 8-24-2016 by Alm]
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
14 cu/ft = 298 KWh/yr

so what does that mean ?

It means that inverter fridges don't save a whole lot of energy.

0.9 KWH a day for 14 cf fridge is the same as a regular on-off fridge with Energy Star rating would consume. There exist less efficient ES-rated models, but mid-priced units from known brands would draw the same 0.9-1.0.

Most importantly, Energy Star rating assumes certain testing protocol. The numbers for ES-rated models are accurate but... but... "estimated energy use" is for a normal household, not when it hits 100F while you're not home and A/C is off.

Now, how Mr Samsung got his numbers for inverter models, and whether he followed the same ES protocol, is a bigger mystery yet.

Soft-start for compressor fridge is not terribly important. The spike is short, doesn't affect total daily KWH. Yes, inverter for a on-off compressor fridge should be bigger than 80-100W of regular running power. 1,000W inverter will probably do. If you use microwave, then you have at least 2,000W inverter already. Get a 3,000 inverter then.

[Edited on 8-24-2016 by Alm]

thats ridiculous, if you can't figure out how not to use your microwave oven at the same time your refrigerator is cycling on....maybe you shouldn't live off grid! 3K inverters don't run for free :rolleyes:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.