Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: New locked Gate 2
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
closed areas and locked gates, imagine the logistics involved in putting on the B1K! not a surprise we're not seeing anything special for the 50th....:(

Norman has said he plans to do a Baja 2000 type race for the 50th next year, like 1800 miles. All the races this year are being filmed and a special will be out for the Baja 1000 in 2017.

As far as the locked gates for the SCORE races Score works with the locals and ranches and some areas are off limits to pre-running. The problem is people coming down and just going where ever they want without regard to the property owner.

They already announced the schedule for next year. Ensenada to La Paz. normal mileage.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 06:03 PM

2017 SCORE Race Schedule Released
Including 50th Baja 1000 Details

SCORE will be celebrating its 50th anniversary of the iconic SCORE Baja 1000 in 2017, and today it announced the four-race schedule for the 2017 SCORE World Desert Championship. Next year’s series will will feature all four races in Baja, Mexico, for the second time in the storied history of the internationally-televised desert racing series.

The big news for next year’s monumental Baja 1000 is that it will be a “peninsula run” or point-to-point race, starting in Ensenada, Baja California and finish in La Paz, Baja California Sur. The 50th running of the Baja 1000 will run roughly 1,300 miles in total. SCORE says this is the 43rd time the race will start in Ensenada and 22nd time it will finish in La Paz. The race will start on Thursday, Nov. 16 to begin its rugged journey to the southern part of Baja.

“SCORE has been building the operational and marketing assets for the past few years preparing for this historic 2017 global event and season,” said Roger Norman, CEO and President of SCORE International. “Mexican races are the cornerstone of SCORE and to have all four races South of the border is an distinct honor and a wonderful privilege. We welcome the challenge to add to the illustrious SCORE Baja racing legacy.”

As for the complete 2017 schedule, there will be four races in total, including the San Felipe 250, Baja 500, Rosarito Beach SCORE Desert Challenge, and the Baja 1000. Here’s the schedule:

Round 1: 31st SCORE San Felipe 250, March 30-April 2 in San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico
Round 2: 49th SCORE Baja 500, June 1-5, in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico
Round 3: Rosarito Beach 21st SCORE Desert Challenge, Sept. 14-17 in Rosarito Beach, Baja California
Round 4: 50th SCORE Baja 1000, Nov. 14-18 Ensenada to La Paz

SCORE also said it is finalizing plans for the SCORE World Desert Championship series to air on the CBS Sports Network and internationally through syndication.

“With the diligence and creativity of award-winning BCII TV, SCORE has had a continuing viable domestic television package with the CBS Sports Network as our partner as well as with our expanding international syndication platform,” commented Jim Ryan, SCORE Sales and Marketing Director. “The introduction of the highly successful live-feed programming and SCORE app, social media growth and the SCORE Journal and website’s unprecedented viewer/reader growth has continued to expand the exposure for SCORE races, racers, sponsors to our global fan base.”

Director Dana Brown has also been working on new film Dust2Glory as well, a followup to the original 2005 Dust to Glory film. The film was shot during the 2015 Baja 1000 and has followed the 2016 season, with the release scheduled for 2017 in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of the SCORE Baja 1000.

For more information, visit www.score-international.com
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 06:26 PM

Thanks I had not seen that.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 06:50 PM

well there was alot of hopeful speculation that didn't come to fruition...from RDC

Yes a name change is coming soon : :rolleyes:
South of
California
Offroad
Racing
Enterprise
:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 07:08 PM
The First Dozen 1000 Races

1,300 miles for a traditionally 900+/- mile race course (Ensenada - La Paz) means a few side to side wiggles down the peninsula.

I remember the early 1000 races:

Officially called the MEXICAN 1000 from 1967-1972, organized by NORRA.

1967: Tijuana to La Paz (the real racing began after a restart in Ensenada). The race course was Hwy. 1 (pavement ended north of Colonet and began again 100 miles north of La Paz) except between San Ignacio and La Poza Grande.

1968, 1969, 1970, 1971: the race started in Ensenada and ran the same route as 1967.

1972: The race started in Mexicali, went 95 miles down Hwy. 5 then turned west to San Matias Pass and from there it was racers choice of either going through Mike's Sky Rancho to Camalu on Hwy. 1 or to Valle de Trinidad and on to Hwy. 1 just south of San Vicente and on south. Camalu on to La Paz was the same as the previous years.

1973: NORRA was removed as the race promoter and the Baja Sports Committee (BSC) took over. The race course (in order to avoid most of the brand new pavement from San Quintin to San Ignacio) went from Ensenada to San Felipe (that was mostly dirt still) then south through Bahia de los Angeles, San Rafael, El Arco and south from there on the previous course. BSC had a major fail, lost the money that was to pay the winners, and that was the only 1000 race they ran!

1974: Baja California government officials contacted Mickey Thompson who recently created SCORE, a Short Course Off Road Event promoter and asked him to take over operating races in their state.

The July 1974 SCORE Baja Internacional (a 400-mile race out of Ensenada) was a huge success and guaranteed SCORE a long contract in Baja California. There was not enough time for SCORE to organize a 1000 that November, so 1974 was the ONLY year without a 1000 race. It had nothing to do with any gasoline shortage as some modern history writers have said. Mexico has independent fuel supply, unaffected by the Arab embargo of 1973.

1975: The FIRST SCORE Baja 1000, a loop race in the northern state, starting and ending in Ensenada. Furthest point south (for most of the classes) was near Punta Santa Rosalillita. Class 6, 7, 11 was allowed to skip the Seven Sisters section as they considered the silt and other parts impossible to get their 2WD production race vehicles through. They ran Hwy. 1 to the Calamajué Canyon road where it met the course coming north from Punta Prieta.

1976, 1977 where smaller loop races and called 'Baja 1000 Km.'

1978 was a bit longer and ran down Arroyo Matomi for the first time before heading back to Ensenada.

1979 was the FIRST SCORE BAJA 1000 to run to La Paz (from Ensenada) via San Felipe, Mission San Borja, El Arco and on the traditional route south. It took that long for SCORE to work out the details with the government of Baja California Sur.

Edit:
One of the most famous racers of those years was Parnelli Jones. Using his Bill Stroppe/ Dick Russell prepared 2WD funny car (the first trophy truck, really), sponsored by Olympia Beer (The Big Oly Bronco), Parnelli won (overall) the 1971 and 1972 Mexican 1000 races. He also won (overall) the 1970 and 1973 Baja 500.

At the 1974 SCORE Baja Internacional, Parnelli hit a (non racer) motorcycle rider who was going the wrong way on the course... that was the last time Parnelli raced the Big Oly Bronco.

In 1975, Parnelli introduced a yellow Chevy Blazier version of Big Oly but did not have success with it. Sold to Frank 'Scoop' Vessels, that Blazier did go on to win.

[Edited on 8-28-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 08:24 AM

Thanks David on some history always interesting.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 10:04 AM

The last run to La Paz was 1275 miles in 2014. Next years run could be nearly the same. There are a lot of places to add mileage, a little here and a little there.

[Edited on 8-28-2016 by TMW]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The last run to La Paz was 1275 miles in 2014. Next years run could be nearly the same. There are a lot of places to add mileage, a little here and a little there.

[Edited on 8-28-2016 by TMW]

But a lot of that 1275 was under speed restrictions. (read blacktop or residential areas). But it was still tough.

[Edited on 8-28-2016 by rts551]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 11:17 AM

They will either not go by Cocos or come down from Gonzaga Bay since the Calamajue wash is off limits.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 11:20 AM

Maybe take a dozer and open up the abandoned mine wagon road that is between Laguna Chapala and Calamajué? I will guess Grosso or Daggett had it made as a short cut?

[Edited on 8-29-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2016 at 11:24 AM

I just hope they don't run down the hwy at Catavina to Chapala.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 04:46 PM

Anyone ever think about leaving the people of Baja in peace and stop digging up the dust and making a crapload of noise?

I know I will be inundated with stuff. But, for over three decades, I have enjoyed my travels in Baja in a car. I guess I.m a pussy.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 05:24 PM

I don't think anyone will argue that last, Wodd...

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 05:49 PM

I think that would be a great idea but it's not all about what we think. Having been involved in Baja racing a bit I can tell you that a lot of people really enjoy the spectacle especially the locals. The Baja races are a really big deal to the majority of the local residents. They don't seem to mind the dust, noise and inconvenience, they love it and make a several day party of it.

I personally hate the Baja races, not because of the annoyance but because my friends and family are participating in an extremely dangerous undertaking and I don't like that part. I love riding off road in Baja and put in a few thousand miles a year but not at the "race spectacle". I do however provide support during the races for our team and even do some prerunning with my son, I wish they would quit coming down here, I spend race day physically ill.

There are a number of reasons why the MX government embraces off road racing but the support of the local population is a big factor.

I know some of you won't agree with me, I don't care....but you already knew that. Have your own opinion, it's ok I support alternate opinions...

We encounter locked gates now and then while prerunning....does that keep this from being a hijack?

[Edited on 8-30-2016 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 06:04 PM

Well spoke!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
I think that would be a great idea but it's not all about what we think. Having been involved in Baja racing a bit I can tell you that a lot of people really enjoy the spectacle especially the locals. The Baja races are a really big deal to the majority of the local residents. They don't seem to mind the dust, noise and inconvenience, they love it and make a several day party of it.

I personally hate the Baja races, not because of the annoyance but because my friends and family are participating in an extremely dangerous undertaking and I don't like that part. I love riding off road in Baja and put in a few thousand miles a year but not at the "race spectacle". I do however provide support during the races for our team and even do some prerunning with my son, I wish they would quit coming down here, I spend race day physically ill.

There are a number of reasons why the MX government embraces off road racing but the support of the local population is a big factor.

I know some of you won't agree with me, I don't care....but you already knew that. Have your own opinion, it's ok I support alternate opinions...

We encounter locked gates now and then while prerunning....does that keep this from being a hijack?

[Edited on 8-30-2016 by dtbushpilot]

Only if you do not carry bolt cutters. On this one, I understand how DT feels. Its always a high stress period. All the locals having a good time while I am on pins and needles thinking they should be here by now.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Anyone ever think about leaving the people of Baja in peace and stop digging up the dust and making a crapload of noise?

I know I will be inundated with stuff. But, for over three decades, I have enjoyed my travels in Baja in a car. I guess I.m a pussy.
Locked gate 2 is for off road people not for you pavement car people. Why should I do as you do??????? Why not let us alone???? Your not a pussy you just like to drive on the pavement. We like adventure to each his own.:) Live and let live.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 04:40 PM

There are millions of acres in the Mojave desert. Why mess with the nice folks in Baja? Just wondering.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
..... for over three decades, I have enjoyed my travels in Baja in a car. I guess I.m a pussy.

BRAVO! Well spoken, couldn't have said it better myself. :rolleyes: :lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 04:52 PM

Subtle!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.