BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Full gas cans into mexico?
Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 10:05 PM

We were crossing at Mexicali about 3 months ago with four 5 gallon cans full of gas, they would not let us bring gas in to Mexico. Had to go back through secondary on the US side , then had to find someone to take the gas. Do Not Try It , unless you want to spend a lot of extra time at the border.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 11:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Perceburzr  
We were crossing at Mexicali about 3 months ago with four 5 gallon cans full of gas, they would not let us bring gas in to Mexico. Had to go back through secondary on the US side , then had to find someone to take the gas. Do Not Try It , unless you want to spend a lot of extra time at the border.

Exactly, depending on the aduana. You can get sent back or pay duties on the gas.
With the current situation, expect to pay duties.
chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 11:19 PM

So here's the problem.. In the past I have taken them in empty and got 5 gallons just to be on the safe side for the run from San Felipe to Jesus Maria. Was at Rancho Grande one time and had to pay $20.00 just to get someone out of the house just so I could buy fuel..once but not twice. So the rub now is with the current situation stations if they are open and if they have fuel and if I have to wait 1.5 hours in line the attendants will not fill cans only directly into vehicles. So now I'm thinking of filling tank drive out and then siphon to my cans and then get back to that station or another if I have the choice and fill up my tank again. Seems the gas problem is just up this northern end and down south where the fuel comes from La Paz and I think as far as Santa Rosalia there doesn't appear to be a problem as reported from friends in those areas..This is really going to hurt LOTS of local (Mexicans ) getting kids to school, driving to work, fueling outboard motors for many fisherman ,food shopping, water deliveries .propane and is very serious!! I will keep you posted on my travel decisions and outcome...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chivatojoe  
So here's the problem.. In the past I have taken them in empty and got 5 gallons just to be on the safe side for the run from San Felipe to Jesus Maria. Was at Rancho Grande one time and had to pay $20.00 just to get someone out of the house just so I could buy fuel..once but not twice. So the rub now is with the current situation stations if they are open and if they have fuel and if I have to wait 1.5 hours in line the attendants will not fill cans only directly into vehicles. So now I'm thinking of filling tank drive out and then siphon to my cans and then get back to that station or another if I have the choice and fill up my tank again. Seems the gas problem is just up this northern end and down south where the fuel comes from La Paz and I think as far as Santa Rosalia there doesn't appear to be a problem as reported from friends in those areas..This is really going to hurt LOTS of local (Mexicans ) getting kids to school, driving to work, fueling outboard motors for many fisherman ,food shopping, water deliveries .propane and is very serious!! I will keep you posted on my travel decisions and outcome...

This is all totally different from all my trips to Gonzaga or for filling my empty can. What house did you go to, to tip the attendant to pump gas? They were closed for siesta (2-4) in the past, but Alfonsina's sold the Pemex station at Gonzaga and now another is running it. Why not get gas at the L.A. Bay junction (two independent vendors usually there) it would be less than the $20 extra for their markup. You should be able to do San Felipe to Jesus Maria. I can do San Felipe to Vizcaino, as that is well under 300 miles.

As for filling my empty jerry can, never questioned... I put it on the ground, next to my truck (never fill a can in the truck, due to spark potential). I filled mine last week of 2016 at San Felipe south station.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 10:28 AM

Just got back from San Felipe last Saturday. No Problems getting gas or diesel,also no problems getting gas cans filled up, price of gas and diesel did go up. Water delivery price also went up due to the gas price increase.
chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 01:05 PM

OK David to answer you directly. I too have never had a problem in the PAST getting cans filled. However this post is during a time in Baja when protesters are hijacking tankers and borders are being closed. I even had a friend in San Felipie try the other day to buy some extra fuel in cans so upon my arrival I could use them to re fuel in the event the stations were out .(as of this morning they were)He was told that fueling was to be done in vehicles only. As far as Rancho Grande the people were in the house /store attached to the station . I had skipped San Felipe knowing that a station was at Ranch Grande and didn't have the reserves to make it to LA bay ( fuel "sometimes there" ) or Jesus Maria. Never knew about the 2-4 siesta and wanted to get thru the dirt 23 before dark. So as of today I'm sitting in raining /overcast So Cal waiting to hear if gas will be available tomorrow. I'll report back ... and yes this isn't my first time driving Baja... Since 1973..
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 02:27 PM

OK David to answer you directly. I too have never had a problem in the PAST getting cans filled. However this post is during a time in Baja when protesters are hijacking tankers and borders are being closed. I even had a friend in San Felipie try the other day to buy some extra fuel in cans so upon my arrival I could use them to re fuel in the event the stations were out .(as of this morning they were)He was told that fueling was to be done in vehicles only. As far as Rancho Grande the people were in the house /store attached to the station . I had skipped San Felipe knowing that a station was at Ranch Grande and didn't have the reserves to make it to LA bay ( fuel "sometimes there" ) or Jesus Maria. Never knew about the 2-4 siesta and wanted to get thru the dirt 23 before dark. So as of today I'm sitting in raining /overcast So Cal waiting to hear if gas will be available tomorrow. I'll report back ... and yes this isn't my first time driving Baja... Since 1973..

Gotcha, well for sure during a fuel emergency when cars are lined up to get gas for themselves, I can imagine a reluctant attendant to give extra gas to a vacationing gringo with his can over his neighbors who need fuel for their work. This is a rare event, and something new as of Jan. 3.

The store at Rancho Grande is not attached or even on the same side of the highway as the station... unless you mean legally attached? They do have their own private pump and have sold when the Pemex was closed.

I apologize for my nit-pickiness for details, I just want to get the facts right so we can help travelers best here. Thank you for your input!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 02:30 PM

Where in Baja are the trucks getting hijacked??

chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 03:25 PM

The Hijackings I believe were on the west side TJ area.. The news said they gave back the full ones as they were afraid of accidentally blowing one up but keep two empty ones for ???
Also protesters took over toll booths and where letting car pass for free.
Just got word from my Airport controller friend from San Felipe who took the bus to Mexicali that his taxi driver's boss just radioed him and said no more gas is available in Mexicali . Also reported my friends boss from San Felipe is taking the bus tomorrow and there is now no fuel in San Felipe. Two friends stopped by here at my office in the states and said they just heard a US news report that the border was closed... Thinking TJ again..
Be nice to get some news from some Nomads on the ground in those areas to verify the stories?
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 03:27 PM

I always cross at Tecate with two 4-gallon Rotopax on my roof rack, wrapped in tarps with the rest of the gear. They are flat, and don't stick up over the sides of the rack.

I bring them in empty, but there has never been a time they checked my roof rack. In fact, I've never had the contents of my roof rack checked by any military checkpoint, or even US Customs in secondary (which I seem to get directed to every other time.

I used to bring them in full, but now wouldn't risk it. And I agree with David, Pemex Premium is better than anything you can get up here at a normal gas station in the States.

Coming up from Los Burros two weeks ago:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.