Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Mulege off road trip feb 4 y 5
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 09:54 AM

One bright spot with the church annex accommodations, was being able to park our vehicles in a court yard with a gate. I had the top off of my Kia, and was glad I did not have to haul the contents indoors with us.

If you wind up using that bunk house, make sure that you put your own lock on the chain, or that the caretaker leaves you with the key. It took a while to find that guy so we could leave the next day!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 10:27 AM

Have you looked into this place in La Purisima?

https://www.facebook.com/cabanaslapurisima/

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 11:59 AM

Looks like a fantastic overnight option for the area. I wish I could go with you guys but the the dates both last year and this year just didn't work for me.

Bruce
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2017 at 12:36 PM
Comondu church annex

It occurs to me that your ride is on a Saturday, and Sunday. The courtyard that Ged, Dave and I parked in has a side door that enters directly into the back of the main part of the church.

Sunday morning there would be a whole lot different than when we stayed there, if it is even available. They might get a bit annoyed with a bunch of motors firing up during services.

At least you would be getting a wake up church bell in the morning!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 09:22 AM
off the beaten path

Crossing at Rumorosa on the 16th on 500/650 dirt bikes, unsupported. I was hoping Raymundo was open, doesn't sound promising. Will be riding from Scorp Bay- San Isidro to Comondu and over to Loreto unless the loop back from SJC to Crucertio via Picacho, El Horno, etc. is doable. Just 3 maybe 4 bikes, so we are very flexible. I haven't ridden some of these trails in several years, thought it was time to revisit. I'll be watching this thread for info and post up my trail reports when I get back.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 09:56 AM

Ztrab, have you been following this other thread? http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83594&got...

I drove the San Raymundo wash in a Kia Sportage over Thanksgiving. The water crossings were deeper than I expected, and there was way too much driving right down the center of the arroyo for my taste, but it is open. Clearance was more of a concern than traction, so I did not air down. I should have, it would have been a better ride!

The road through El Horno was in great shape! I did not try the route through El Picacho, would love to hear if it is open!

Willy, sorry for side-jacking your ride thread!

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 09:56 AM

We will post a report here on our return. 3 weeks ago a father/ son team did the Mulege/SJ/LaPris/hwy loop in 8 hours on 250s, so that route is can`t be too bad. :)

http://WWW.HACIENDADONMARIO.COM/ the hotel in Comondu still has rooms for the 4th, best to act now.

ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
We will post a report here on our return. 3 weeks ago a father/ son team did the Mulege/SJ/LaPris/hwy loop in 8 hours on 250s, so that route is can`t be too bad. :)

http://WWW.HACIENDADONMARIO.COM/ the hotel in Comondu still has rooms for the 4th, best to act now.

Thanks and yes I have been looking at the board. I just realized even though I joined in 2006, I never post here, shame on me, I'll put up my next ride. Great forum, time to give back :-)
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 10:14 AM

No problem AK, it is all about sharing info. That is why Chucky invented the internet 55 years ago.

The hotel link above is still bad, best to contact them via FB or email. Internet there is spotty, so reply may take awhile.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ztrab  
Crossing at Rumorosa on the 16th on 500/650 dirt bikes, unsupported. I was hoping Raymundo was open, doesn't sound promising. Will be riding from Scorp Bay- San Isidro to Comondu and over to Loreto .....

Hey, Z....get some dirt on that thing.....San Raymundo route is the best part of that ride....San Juanico and the rest is easy....

And have fun....

Don't believe everything you think....
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 08:22 PM

Man oh man, I wish.

You gonna eat that?
ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 12:13 AM

Hey, Z....get some dirt on that thing.....San Raymundo route is the best part of that ride....San Juanico and the rest is easy....

And have fun....[/
Ha, yeah it is scary clean, new tank, seat, bags, some plastic. Taking it out tomorrow fully loaded with new tires to make sure nothing falls off, then it's on the tended while I'm at my beach shack on the mainland, home for two days, then heading to Baja. I've never been packed so early. Taking two new guys, that's always fun! I've been floggimg my pumpkins while building the 501 to replace my 690. Saludos
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 10:25 AM

.... I've been floggimg my pumpkins while building the 501 to replace my 690. Saludos

Z,
I have my orange 450 down this trip (4 months of Baja riding....woohoo !!)....my 690 is good for more paved tripping here, but the 450 is the sandmeister for me now....

Sorry to miss Richard's ride....should be a good gathering.

ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 08:46 AM

Motoged: Come out and play, I need a guide through Raymundo. Mike :yes:

[Edited on 2-6-2017 by ztrab]
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 08:50 AM

Pretty hard to get lost going that way. But it does seem to go on forever.

Last season I did a one day loop from Mulege to Mulege via San Juanico and San Isidro and I was pooped. Although maybe half of it was easy riding it was still a workout.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 10:28 AM

Motoged: Come out and play, I need a guide through Raymundo. Mike :yes:

[Edited on 2-6-2017 by ztrab]

Mike,
I am in Bahia Asuncion until March 15th.....can't get to Mulege area due to commitments here....but know a ton of most excellent rides in this area....why don't you bring the Husky here for a few days of riding....beach trails, desert sandy tracks like roller coaster rides, wide open desert exploring (fossils, etc), and premium gas at the Pemex....what else could a guy want?

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 03:19 PM

The rumors of excitement on the ride are trickling in. Among others they include a bike rider dislocating a shoulder, a certain famous red buggy getting lost (!) and a very experienced rider from Mulege hitting a jackrabbit or something and cracking a couple of ribs.

Another quad racer claims to have been too tired to crawl off of his steed on Sunday night.

Clearly we will need to connect with the bomberos for an ambulance sag wagon for next time!

(This from a slacker who didn't make the ride at all. Mea Culpa.)
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 10:20 PM

Brief trip report
The players...about 12 motos, 2 quads, full size pick up, 2 wd Toyota, Jeep Patriot, 87 FJ Toyota, 91 CJ Jeep, 94 Jeep, Rzr 1000turbo and my Funco.
The 87 FJ only planned on the loop below the bay and returned home. The Jeep Patriot got about half way to San Isidoro and left to take a crash victim to Loreto with 2 motos..
Everyone else continued to San Isidoro for lunch, then only Al, myself, the 91 Jeep and the large pick up went to Comondu.

We exited the Hwy at km74 to San Sabastion Cove, a secret paradise. A few washed out areas at the beginning, then smooth sailing. It is an amazing place with huge palms and great views. Then we took a left in the palms, after going in the wrong direction for 4 miles, to San Nicolas, a tiny road that can be barely seen, best to ask, otherwise you will easily get lost. The beginning of this road was the worst part of the trip, very steep, narrow, loose
rocks and cliffs. Everyone made it over ok, except the large pick up who got lost, but caught back up at Rosarito, km 63. There are 2 or 3 beautiful coves along the way to San Nicolas and lots of abandoned places destroyed by hurricanes. Not much in San Nicolas, or we missed it, so we headed out, to have a coke at km64. The road to San Isidoro, km60, is washed out and difficult. The concrete areas can present a 12 inch step and if
you don't slow down you can damage tires/wheels and worse. One moto caught the concrete lip, crashed and broke his collar bone, but otherwise ok. The Rzr and I went bout 40 to 50 mph, same with the motos and the others about 20 to 25. Lunch in LP took 2 hours as we overwhelmed the restaurant with so many people. The one man operation sent someone to the store to buy the ingredients after we ordered. We got a late start to Comondu, but that road is an easy drive and we were shooting for a 6pm arrival, but I had a fuel problem and we got delayed. We arrived about 8 or 9. and settled in to shower and a hot meal at Hotel Don Mario which is a great place, with large clean rooms and a courtyard dining area. The kind of place that you walk in to the kitchen/living room to give your food order and grab your beers. We had a great time with Edgar, the owners brother in law who showed us pics of Comondu and gave us a history lesson. After a relaxed hearty breakfast we left about 10 or so and slowed the pace down so the large pick up could keep up.We were all tired and deceided to come back the same route. We got to the restaurant/truck stop on the hwy , km 64 about 2pm, once again overwhelming the staff. We had some amazing Tacos and left about 4pm. Al had an incident with a goat, just south of the bay. With in 2 minutes a military ambulance arrived, on there way to La Paz, but had no room for him. They directed traffic and assisted Al until we arrived about 10 minutes later. We first took him to the Mulege clinic where he got cleaned up and a few stitches, then to San Rosalia for xrays in case there was internal injuries. He got back home about midnight and is doing fine with only broken ribs. The doctor and xray tech were waiting for him and it all went amazingly smooth, especially on a Sunday night.
All in all, an easy drive to Comondu, except getting out of San Sabastian to San Nicolas. The 2wd Toyota made it to LP with out problems as did others. They didn't continue as they planned on only a one day trip.Locals report the road to San Javier is in good
condition. And contrary to recent reports, the G.... trail road is passable! (out thru Paso Hondo)

We meet David K in LP and he was gathering info for another detailed book!

4 minute video here, pics on FB
https://vimeo.com/202859266

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 10:43 PM

Sheesh! Too much crashing and burning. Great report though. And happy to hear about the hotel. Saves packing camp gear on a bike.

Now I have to get a couple of buddies and see if the Comundu locals are right about the road from there to San Javier.

I'm nervous about the locals report of the Gaujademe road being in decent shape as Al had a different take when trying it from the North. Another check ride needed with lots of time and gas.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 04:32 PM

San Javier highway to Comondu is a 4WD/ORV road, not maintained since the heavy rains messed up so much down here. Fun meeting Willy Airstream. My trip report will have nauseating details, fear not! In L.A. Bay tonight.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.