BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: SECONDARY - Riddle me this.
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

The last time I went to secondary was at Tecate. The radiation detector as you enter showed radiation on or in my truck. A lady with what looked like a radar gun went over my truck with a fine tooth comb. She asked me several questions about where I had been etc. Nothing found so away I went.

i know someone who has gotten radioactive iodine treatments for followup to thyroid cancer. That sets off the alarm often times.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 11:35 AM

The list of restricted items includes "soil." That is their (stated) issue with mud on the vehicle.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/pr...

I've been turned back or warned due to mud on a 4x4 vehicle. I always carry an extra 5 gallons of water. That can gets drained to wash the big chunks off the side of the truck/van/Jeep with a rag or squeegee. I use a stick to scrape out the heavy chunks in the wheel wells and on the tail pipe. The remaining 30 lbs. of mud underneath the vehicle seems to get by without a problem.

Do not volunteer the information that you have been on a ranch, unless asked directly. That becomes problematic, probably over concern for transmission of cattle diseases.

One time, I had a few river rocks. Pulled out of a sandy arroyo, they were almost clean enough to eat off of. Got sent to secondary by a newbie officer who considered them to be "soil." The veteran officer at secondary laughed at that and apologized for the inconvenience.
From CBP:
"Soil is considered the loose surface material of the earth in which plants, trees, and scrubs grow. In most cases, the soil consists of disintegrated rock with an admixture of organic material and soluble salts. Soil is prohibited entry unless accompanied by an import permit. Soil must be declared and the permit must be verified."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 12:08 PM

Online today is this from this link: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/plant_health/2011/fs...

October 2012
Mexican Land
Border Import Guide:
Agricultural Items for
Personal Use

Are you crossing the border from Mexico into the
United States? If so, are you carrying any meats,
fruits, vegetables, living plant material, soil, live
animals, or plant and animal products? Be aware of
such items because you may unknowingly be carrying
damaging plant and animal pests and diseases that
pose a major threat to U.S. food crops and livestock.

As a traveler, you must declare upon entry into the
United States any agricultural items to the U.S.
Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and
Border Protection (CBP). Failure to declare agricultural
items contained in your baggage, hand luggage, or
vehicle—regardless of origin—may cause travel delays
and result in spot fines of up to $1,000.

The following is a partial list of fruits and vegetables
that are allowed entry into the United States from
Mexico for personal consumption
, but only after they
have passed inspection and have been found free
of any pests or diseases:

• Aloe vera leaves
• Avocados—without seeds (no avocados are
admitted into California)
• Bananas
• Berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and
strawberries)
• Cabbage
• Corn and corn smut galls
• Dates
• Garlic
• Grapes
• Herbs (cilantro, mint, rosemary, sage, and
watercress)
• Jicama
• Lemons, Persian limes, and sour limes—all
lemons/limes must be washed; no leaves or stems
• Lettuce and spinach
• Melons (cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon)
• Nuts (acorns, almonds, cocoa beans, chestnuts,
coconuts [without husks or milk], peanuts, pecans,
piñon [pinenut], and walnuts)
• Onions (including green onions and chives)
• Peppers (bell, chili, and jalapeno peppers;
manzano peppers are not allowed)
• Pineapples
• Potatoes, yams, and sweet potatoes (cooked only)
• Prickly pears (nopales pad or tuna fruit; pitaya are
not allowed)
• Sugarcane “chews”—peeled without nodes
• Tamarind bean pods
• Tomatoes and tomatillos

This list of admissible products is subject to change.
For more information or for a complete list, please
visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and
Plant Health Inspection Service’s (APHIS) online fruit
and vegetable import requirements database at www.
aphis.usda.gov/favir. Under the “Country” search,
type “Mexico” and select a particular commodity for
more information. Open the Commodity Import Report
(CIR) to see the detailed import requirements for the
item selected.

Live Plants and Seeds
Plants and seeds imported for propagation require
a phytosanitary certificate from the Government of
Mexico. The import of any soil is prohibited.

Meats and Animal Products
The following types of meats and animal products are
allowed to be imported
: canned shelf-stable pork,
canned shelf-stable poultry, beef, and thoroughly
cooked poultry.

Other meats, animal products, animal
trophies, and scientific or research samples may
require an import permit, government certification,
or transport to an APHIS-approved establishment
for additional treatment to prevent the introduction of
animal diseases. APHIS-approved establishments will
treat materials against anthrax and other diseases.

Live Birds
To import pet or wild/game birds, please visit
www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/
to obtain contact information for local USDA offices
responsible for imported birds. All imported birds,
including chickens, are subject to quarantine in a
USDA facility.

Additional Information
Remember, you must declare all agricultural items,
including fruits and vegetables, meat and animal
products, live animals, plant and plant products, and
seeds, even if the items are listed as admissible in
this publication.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 12:28 PM

I worked in Bulgaria (when it was communist still) in 1988 helping to install some disk drive conveyor systems manufactured by a US firm--we knew the FBI was watching us since it was hi-tech being delivered to a Russian satellite. After that I was put through secondary a couple times but then I seemed to be off the watchlist.
In 1996 Brooks Smith and I were building a fish smoker out of beach rocks deep in the Seven Sisters when a Humvee full of Federales drove up--they were naturally interested in what we were building--we think they thought it was some kind of signal flare for drug smugglers. They were cordial though, as were we, and left us alone, but when we crossed the US border there was no question from the inspector--he flagged us for secondary immediately. So we think the Federales must have radioed them our license plate as being suspicious. Got pulled over to secondary a couple of times after that but since then its been only an occasional thing.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 02:19 PM

When I had a place at San Miguel there was a note on it in the system. If I said, I was coming Ensenada they would ask me to be more specific. I was surfing with a border guard the day before and when I went through his lane, he made a note of it. Later when I asked him how much info. they had on me when I crossed he wouldn't say other than "A lot more than you would think".

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 02:21 PM

I know somebody who was getting hit with repeat secondary visits all of a sudden. He was eventually able to get it out of the inspector that they were getting radiation readings from his vehicle.

Long story short, he'd been carrying an old military compass, and old military compasses can contain tritium or radium, which was used to illuminate the hands of the compass, watch dials, and other instruments. He stopped carrying mil compass, no more secondary visits.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 02:37 PM

I've crossed the border at least one time per week, and sometimes 2-3 times, for the last 25 years and rarely get sent to secondary. The original post didn't say which lanes were used. I assume the regular lanes. Now in the Sentri lanes I get sent to secondary about once in 2 years by random selection of the computer.

I'm often ask what kind of work I do. When I say agricultural consultant, it frequently provokes a whole string of questions. Caked on mud is a no no. Most of the rules have to do with preventing the introduction of exotic pests of all kinds. I once crossed with a bunch of snapdragon flowers. I knew they were being exported to the US legally. I was the consultant on the ranch growing them! I was sent to Secondary and waited about 30 minutes while the agents looked it up and was then allowed to proceed with the flowers. No more flowers. I don't want to sit in Secondary.

The original post sounds like profiling. I suspect the beat up dirty vehicle arouses suspicions. Old vehicles are commonly used by drug runners.

Lots of good suggestions above to facilitate a fast crossing. Always take off sunglasses and look the agent directly in the eyes. Only answer the questions asked. Too much talking is perceived as hiding something.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 02:53 PM

Moooy correct. If you seem nervous you may be considered a candidate for further inspection. That's the reason they sometimes ask nonsense questions. They don't care about the answer....only how you sound when you give one.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 03:23 PM

I think I have been asked where I went to high school or the name of the high school once!

The worst case was some oddball officer at Tecate who asked me if "Mulegé was were all the gringos live?" after I told him that's where I was (easier than saying 'Bahía Concepción'). He didn't know Mulegé any more than San Felipe, which was my reply as to where more 'gringos' lived. "Gringos", seriously?

Another different exchange came from a Tecate officer in 2011, El Vergel and I just arrived at the border and the officer said, "They just killed Osama Bin Ladin" and after a quick question swap, sent us on into the USA.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Moooy correct. If you seem nervous you may be considered a candidate for further inspection. That's the reason they sometimes ask nonsense questions. They don't care about the answer....only how you sound when you give one.

Yep. During one of my pre-SENTRI secondary visits (since I've had SENTRI I've gotten only a handful of random directs to secondary), the inspector came over after about 25 minutes of me just sitting there and asked about my truck -- engine displacement, gas mileage, offroad performance, etc. -- then sent me on my way. The funniest (if you can all it that) visit to secondary was when I went through Otay for the first time and accidentally drove into secondary myself, without having been sent there. Three different guys came out. The first two were convinced I was up to something because nobody could be that stupid, and made me wait 15 minutes each for another guy. The third one just laughed, moved a couple of barriers and told me to get out of there.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:59 PM

After spending nearly 40 years as a federal civil servant there is one important lesson: NEVER try to apply logic to a government process!
No, I never worked for the customs or border people, but the rule seems to apply across all large beauracracies.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  
After spending nearly 40 years as a federal civil servant there is one important lesson: NEVER try to apply logic to a government process!
No, I never worked for the customs or border people, but the rule seems to apply across all large beauracracies.

Probably the best advice .... it might be just the luck of the universe .... seems others go way more often .... the best is just to roll with and wonder why we exist instead why are they sending me to secondary ....

Thanks to all that replied.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soylent_green  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

The last time I went to secondary was at Tecate. The radiation detector as you enter showed radiation on or in my truck. A lady with what looked like a radar gun went over my truck with a fine tooth comb. She asked me several questions about where I had been etc. Nothing found so away I went.

i know someone who has gotten radioactive iodine treatments for followup to thyroid cancer. That sets off the alarm often times.

I have a friend that has occasional radiation treatments The Dr.gives him a as he calls it a get out of jail card. I have Ben with him when we go through the check point on I. -8 the agents have a beeper on their belt that goes off. he shows them the card and off we go.
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 10:47 AM

When I lived in Tijuana, every time I crossed the border to go to San Diego, I was sent to secondary. This was walking and driving.

One officer tried to figure out what the problem was by asking questions It turned out that the newbie officer that rejected me for my Sentri, put a notation next to my name in the computer that said, "send to secondary."

They never found anything, and both of the dogs never found anything. I appealed it, and 30 days later, I was out of the computer. I received a letter in the mail that has "reasons" as to why I was singled out to go to secondary.

But none of them were the real reason.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 04:17 PM

We crossed at Tecate a couple of weeks ago or so, and were told that the computer chose us to go to secondary inspection. It's that dang technology to blame!

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
CBC has all kinds of info on your crossing habits, the more you go to secondary the more likely you are to go back. I you spend more than a month south with a camper/RV expect to go to secondary.
I don't doubt what you say - but I stay 6-months and for the first time after 12 northbound crossings (all at Tecate) I was not forced to secondary! I've always had the same truck/camper with the same license plates. They've never found anything during secondary inspection - so maybe they've given up on me!

"I'm too young to be this old!"
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
... The funniest (if you can all it that) visit to secondary was when I went through Otay for the first time and accidentally drove into secondary myself, without having been sent there. Three different guys came out. The first two were convinced I was up to something because nobody could be that stupid, and made me wait 15 minutes each for another guy. The third one just laughed, moved a couple of barriers and told me to get out of there.

that reminded me of this situation:
woman with meth in her car is given the OK at the gate, but drives into secondary
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/dumbest-drug-sm...
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 02:01 PM

Many years ago my buddy and I came back in my old VW bus, carrying a mounted sailfish that he had caught in Cabo, sent to taxidermy in Ensenada, and finally we picked up in at the old Plueger place. This was months after the fish was caught.

The sailfish was laying on the bed I had in the back of my van, held in place by a few pieces of wood the Plueger folks fastened to hold it in place. This thing was about 7 feet long or more. Took up the whole back of the van behind the front seats.

Got sent to secondary. First, it was Customs, wanting to know the value of the fish. Next, came DEA, wanting to know what was inside the fish. Last, was DFG, wanting to see paperwork for the fish. It took about 2 hours or so to get inspected by the three organizations.

My buddy has never returned to Mexico, he had enough after that.

John

[Edited on 4-19-2017 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Many years ago my buddy and I secondary.

It took about 2 hours or so to get inspected by the three organizations.

You have to be a real diva to refuse to ever travel again because of 2 hours of inconvenience!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Many years ago my buddy and I secondary.

It took about 2 hours or so to get inspected by the three organizations.

You have to be a real diva to refuse to ever travel again because of 2 hours of inconvenience!

and ironically, mexico had nothing to do with it!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.