Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  12
Author: Subject: STORM REPORTS from 14E..maybe Lidia...weather & road updates
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:43 AM

Glad to here no more heavy rain?? A couple more hrs and the wind should die down some. Have a safe night. Coffee in the morning.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 04:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
Just got an email from our friends that are staying at our home in Punta Chivato very windy and rain off and on. We had an outside guest bedroom door blow off the hinges and also our garage door was blown off it's hinges. Now keep in mind both doors had previous wind damage and in the case of the Garage door it is being replaced next week because it was completely shot and I had my doubts that it would survive this storm. The bedroom door was also in need of replacing so I guess this will speed up the process. Both doors have survived 10+ years of storms and Baja so I consider this damage more the affect of the cumulative nature of things in Baja and not just this storm. Stay safe everyone.

Your house guests have been very quiet. Sounds like they are not having much rest during this storm. Tell them I can help if needed. Since I'm sure the road is out and their contractor may not get in I'm here if needed. Do they have a radio?
5:30 wind still howling 35 to 40+, total rain this morning 1/4", Dark

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 05:15 AM

6am here on the bay in mulege...

I've never seen the ocean in the bay so "mad"
looked just like russ's pictures

the water is currently brown from the run-off...it'll clear in a day
lots of wind all night

its still dark
lots of wind but no rain
metered at 25mph with gusts to 30mph

wind is supposed to drop off in a few hours

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 05:32 AM

Any news from town? I had a Video from Alex last nite from the river bridge, didn't look good..But no news since..Glad you came through!

mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 06:43 AM

Russ, thank you for the offer I will let them know. Looks like they still have internet as I just saw a couple things from them. Sounds like we ended up losing 3 of the 4 doors on the garage, good times. The new ones were due to be installed next week but I'm sure this will delay things a bit as it sounds like there is a lot of fixing to be done in the area. Yes they have the VHF that is in the house.

Glad you are safe this morning and hope everyone else is as well.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by mooose29]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 07:05 AM

Russ thanks for the updates.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 07:25 AM

The storm finally moved North. Two days and a night. Lots of wind and rain yesterday as she bid farewell. A few buckets outside are overflowing. Four inches of rain, minimum I think. Clear and calm this morning. Lots of leaves, palm, and dirt to clean up. Hang tough. Tomas ps power still out altho I hear There is power in Todos Santos. Hopefully, soon! :bounce:

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by tiotomasbcs]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 07:25 AM

My new internet service didn't make it thru the night and Excede is really slow to upload photos so no pics for awhile.
Mostly cloudy here and winds to 30mph. Those that are here checked in with some flooding inside and some other non threatening damage that can be fixed in due time. Beth said she had a leak in her garage that she was able to fix with a paper towel. So although a lot of you are worried about your places there is good news out there. I'll try to report on the road tomorrow. I'll check around the homes in my area a little later when the wind decreases and send e-mails out.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
Russ, thank you for the offer I will let them know. Looks like they still have internet as I just saw a couple things from them. Sounds like we ended up losing 3 of the 4 doors on the garage, good times. The new ones were due to be installed next week but I'm sure this will delay things a bit as it sounds like there is a lot of fixing to be done in the area. Yes they have the VHF that is in the house.

Glad you are safe this morning and hope everyone else is as well.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by mooose29]

I got an email from them also and they said except for needing a little more wine than normal, they were doing well.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 08:39 AM

Buenos dias from Bahia Asuncion...it was a long noisy night with high winds but no rain...I kept getting up expecting to mop and nada but it is raining now a bit and winds are down...birds are flying.
By the satellite looks like we may get more of Lidia's wind but not much rain. Hope Mulege & San Ignacio were spared this time!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 08:47 AM

"... thousands of monarch butterflies "
Actually, those are Painted Lady. There are mass migrations from Mexico. Food plants include mallow, aster and thistles.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 08:51 AM

Just talked to Sergio Santos Miranda by cel phone from downtown Mulege, he's doing recon. Short story- flooding in the low areas but not radical.
Town side of river: water got half way up from ordinary river edge to Saul's store in La Fortuna park; @ low bridge- water came to the back of the 1st bldg (used to house Comex paint store) but not up into town there
Downriver on south side: Casa #56 got ~4ft inside, Christofer's #55 would have about 2ft; Casa M-3 no water in house but mud slick in the yard so there was water in Leon's office but not a lot.
Further downriver: Judy & Bill Havig- no water in house, just up to Bill's gravel.
Land line phones are out for now; on so.side of river poles are down which will take days. Given more populated & hard hit areas to the south, likely they'll get the most horsepower in repair crews for a while for both phone & power so repairs outside of town center will take days.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 09:13 AM

Shari, you had no rain? we have had rain all night long and it continues now. The only upside is that my plants are really happy and the desert will be wonderful after it greens up.

raging loud wind, all night and continues now.

gray skies and by the looks of it, it will stay like that all day.

Amazing that we have internet!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 09:45 AM
eastcape

just heard from my caretaker who lives at Castillo De Arena, south of Cabo Pulmo and Frailes......30 hours of torrential rain..Arroyo Frailes and Arroyo Salado full
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 09:47 AM

We currently have a misty type rain at times but no rain last night..wind has switched around a bit now WSW and by the satellite it looks like the bulk of the system moved up and over to the gulf side..BOLA looks to be in the thick of it now. My plants are whipping around but might make it through...the jasmine is looking beat up...wonder how Cheri did in Lopez Mateos....any reports from there?

my heart goes out to those down south who suffered damage...as usual Asuncion dodged the bullet....glad I didnt bet a 6 pac on no rain though! The pitayas will be nice.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 10:27 AM

For people who are unfamiliar with, or inexperienced, rain in Baja can be un-nerving .. This writing is probably mostly for them - and I welcome comments and additions/edits as appropriate - intending for this to be a helpful post.

Built on sand which cannot absorb water, means flooding when it rains- even a light rain causes pooling/flooding. Our towns/cities weren't built by forward-thinking engineers who created flood pathways ("The LA River" in Los Angeles for example) so Mother Nature has her way which we call arroyos (dangerous to be in btw so don't ever let anyone convince you otherwise). Thankfully, many Baja areas utilize damage post-storm to address flooding issues.

Lidia dumped record-breaking amounts of rain on Cabo/SjD/Todos according to "GringoGazette' reporting.

A few days of clean-up and things will be mostly back to normal conditions. In nearly 25 years of experience in the Cabo/San Jose del Cabo region, I'm still absolutely amazed by the rapidity in which clean-up occurs, and at the resilience of the remarkable people that call it home. Heroes are those that go forward with hands extended in times of need to those in need ..

On behalf of those who are part of the ever growing extended Cabo Magic familia, as well as the numerous residents of our area, we thank you for the support. We send good thoughts to 'your' area along the path of this storm as she made her way north up the Baja Peninsula.

Lori

Boulder bob222
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 11:07 AM
come on down!

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
For people who are unfamiliar with, or inexperienced, rain in Baja can be un-nerving .. This writing is probably mostly for them - and I welcome comments and additions/edits as appropriate - intending for this to be a helpful post.

Built on sand which cannot absorb water, means flooding when it rains- even a light rain causes pooling/flooding. Our towns/cities weren't built by forward-thinking engineers who created flood pathways ("The LA River" in Los Angeles for example) so Mother Nature has her way which we call arroyos (dangerous to be in btw so don't ever let anyone convince you otherwise). Thankfully, many Baja areas utilize damage post-storm to address flooding issues.

Lidia dumped record-breaking amounts of rain on Cabo/SjD/Todos according to "GringoGazette' reporting.

A few days of clean-up and things will be mostly back to normal conditions. In nearly 25 years of experience in the Cabo/San Jose del Cabo region, I'm still absolutely amazed by the rapidity in which clean-up occurs, and at the resilience of the remarkable people that call it home. Heroes are those that go forward with hands extended in times of need to those in need ..

On behalf of those who are part of the ever growing extended Cabo Magic familia, as well as the numerous residents of our area, we thank you for the support. We send good thoughts to 'your' area along the path of this storm as she made her way north up the Baja Peninsula.

Lori

Old Baja a resilient state.
New Baja a resilient FAILED state.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 11:13 AM

Lidia was a good test of windy.com. Wind for BA, rain for BOLA as predicted.
Any news from BOLA? It's all quiet at their little FB page since yesterday night, must be soaking right now.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 12:52 PM

Pretty much a non-event in BOLA, if this PWS can be believed. Only a half inch of rain so far today, none yesterday.

Highest gusts so far in both days was 23mph. Only 5mph right now.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashbo...
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 12:54 PM

BOLA, posted 30 minutes ago. Rain have eased a little but it's not over yet. 150 evacuees, 8 of them in temporary shelter. Can't see streams on the main road like during the Odile, but then it was running along the "malecon" side of the road. Some big puddles, look behind the cops car:
https://www.facebook.com/plexmexico/photos/a.471997852903826...

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by Alm]
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.