Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  12
Author: Subject: STORM REPORTS from 14E..maybe Lidia...weather & road updates
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 04:29 AM

Shocking! 76º this morning ~ no wind ~ very pleasant
Very sorry to hear about BOLA and San Ignacio! Hope All can start to get back to Baja life style soon. Stay prepared though because it's still the storm season. Be Safe out there. Road reports would be helpful now.

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 09:38 AM
Fair and Balanced

When discussing these "Periodic Natural Occurrences" It would be fair to take issue with those who criticize decisions made by others IF one were to also take issue with those who whine over the misfortune suffered as a result of THEIR decisions.

One should accept that a decision to live in an area vulnerable to the vagaries of nature has foreseeable hazards and accept the results.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 10:21 AM

Now raining in san diego! Warning! Take cover!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
When discussing these "Periodic Natural Occurrences" It would be fair to take issue with those who criticize decisions made by others IF one were to also take issue with those who whine over the misfortune suffered as a result of THEIR decisions.

I agree......and those people should start a thread of their own!
With an ongoing emergency, this thread should be posts from people who have, or need information!

I wish Doug would scroll through this thread and give a thumbs up or down with his delete button to keep it on track. That would not be censorship, it would be community service.

I deleted my earlier, no longer relevant post. I invite others to do the same.

[Edited on 9-3-2017 by AKgringo]

if you want storm recovery news and photos, look at talk baja. lot's there. many pics of flowing arroyos, it's as if no one has ever seen flowing water before!

if it's an emergency, the internet is last place to seek help. look to your neighbors or the local government or local NGO.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 01:05 PM

BAJAME - are you saying the yurts are flooded out? yikes.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 01:11 PM

Here is the latest from Baja Road Reports and Weather. Ron Hoff has done a great job organizing this info:

Baja Weather & Road Conditions added 3 new photos — at Baja California Peninsula.
September 1 at 4:27pm · San Quintín ·
UPDATED: Latest Road Conditions Report
10:00AM PDT 03SEP2017
Transpeninsular Highway:
1. Flood damage BOTH North & South of Loreto
2. Flood damage North of La Paz
3. Flood damage at several locations between Mulege & Guerrero Negro
4. Some flooding remains at vado at Cataviña
5. Work underway to fix/create work-around's for the problem areas.
Los Cabos Area:
1. Flood damage to several major arteries and accesses
2. Two bridges down between Cabo San Lucas & San Jose
3. Airport - access from San Jose is open
4. Airport - access from Cabo San Lucas is open
5. Airport is operating.
6. Flood damage on the 4 lane at El Tezal - passable but slow.
7. Areas with no power-internet
8. Potable water system seriously affected / down
Todos Santos:
1. Flood damage on local roads
2. Highway from Pescadero to CSL blocked from mud-rock slide
3. Areas with no power-internet
La Paz:
1, Extensive flooding and damage but water receding
2. Damage to highway - suggested only high clearance 4x4 vehicles.
3. Airport is operating.
4. Potable water system seriously affected / down.
5. Areas with no power-internet
East Cape:
1. Flood damage on road coming from San Jose but passable
2. Santa Anita bridge collapsed but passable around
3. Some road damage at Miraflores , La Ribera and Santiago.
4. Road in/out of La Ventana/El Sargento is now clear.
5. Road open from Los Barriles north to La Paz
6. Limited to zero power-internet.
Punta Abreojos / La Bocana:
1. Heavy winds and rain.
2. Highway in flooded.
3. Salt Flats road flooded.
4. Limited power-internet.
Bahia Asuncion:
1. Heavy wind - some rain
2. Highway in flooded.
San Ignacio:
1. Reports of heavy flooding and road damage.
2. Limited to zero power-internet.
San Juanico / Scorpion Bay:
1. Reports of heavy flooding over both North & South access roads
2. Limited power-internet.
Loreto:
1. Several reports of flood damage but water is receding.
2. Areas with no power-internet
3. Potable water system seriously affected / down.
Mulege:
1. Heavy flooding but reports it is beginning to recede.
2 No power-internet.
Bahia de Los Angeles:
1. Heavy wind-rains with some flooding on road in.
2. Some damage to local roads and homes.
San Luis Gonzaga:
1. Very heavy wind and rain.
2. Some damage to local roads and homes.
San Felipe:
1. Reports of heavy wind but no flooding or damage reported.
San Quintín:
1. Some local flooding off the highway.
Due to all of the power/internet outages, many problems or updated information may not be listed yet. It is important to check back regularly; we will be updating as new information becomes available and can be confirmed...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 01:22 PM

Wish I had seen this an hour ago when someone called to ask if the roads into Punta Abreojos were open! I had to answer that I had no idea.

I guess they aren't.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I wish Doug would scroll through this thread and give a thumbs up or down with his delete button to keep it on track. That would not be censorship, it would be community service.

I deleted my earlier, no longer relevant post.

Looks like Doug did it. Or the OP did. Don't know what makes people write things like this, insulting newcomers for no reason. I also deleted my - no longer relevant - post.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Here is the latest from Baja Road Reports and Weather. Ron Hoff has done a great job organizing this info:...

Alright, how are things in poquito San Luquito and San Bruno? Have you been to Sta Rosalia already?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 05:13 PM

I spoke to a friend this afternoon holed up in Sta.Rosalia waiting to be able to pass to get home to San Lucitas.

Driving around town today in Asuncion you wouldnt even have known there was a storm....the teeny weeny bit of rain barely wet the soil....probably thanks to the shaman who was fervently shaking his bones and rattles not allowing the rain to come.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 05:21 PM

Sta R. to San Lucitas? Does that mean the big beautiful bridge between got taken out?

Thank goodness for shamans..... at least somebody has a plan for the future.... *grin* :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 05:36 PM

Hey Shari, we'll have to rent your shaman out to BOLA... Shouldn't cost much, and besides, we've been prohibited from doing anything else in the areas vulnerable to the vagaries of nature ;)

Seriously though, - doesn't sound like BOLA got it bad. The hurricane brought more wind than water, this time. Just 2 years after Odile, some haven't still recovered since then.
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 07:08 PM

Now then, we have power again and the sun has come out. Truly, we did have 'a long night of heavy weather,' just as predicted, about 12 hours of moderately heavy rain and a fair amount of gusty wind, by San Ignacio standards, where the wind of hurricanes is not usually a problem. For once I had put my handy 5-gallon bucket out in the upper garden and it captured a full five inches of rain! Bucket also doubles as my outhouse at times. Bet your fancy weather station can't equal that! Though I wish I had one of those, too. Yes, the arroyo filled and ran, a pretty big flood but flowing away nicely and we expect the entry road will be open tomorrow, Monday. No big gulf opened at the side of the presa by Campo Los Petates, although the asphault has been moved about some. We will put it back.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 09:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Sta R. to San Lucitas? Does that mean the big beautiful bridge between got taken out?

Thank goodness for shamans..... at least somebody has a plan for the future.... *grin* :biggrin:

Could be the bridge, could be flooding at any low-lying place on the road. There are/were streams across the road pretty much at every town South of Rosarito. Good thing they didn't listen to BN forum and did the right thing the "gringo way" - build the bridge.

Shamans are more a doers kind, not planners. When it plays out how it should've, he says - See, I did it. When it doesn't, he runs to the hills or gets beaten/eaten. Easy life :)
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 08:44 AM

I truly dont understand why they spend so much money on all these fantastic bridges over arroyos that we know will flood and perhaps destroy them....seems to me just keep it natural and clean up the mud, rocks and sand afterwards would be cheaper.

A popular saying(albeit not PC) in these parts when we get no rain and everyone else does is...es porque hay muchos jotos aqui....and the jotos say..es porque hay muchos marijuanos aqui! and everyone laughs!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 11:28 AM

Shari, there is no choice. People should not be living in Baja at all - not that many people.

A priest traveling with Commandante Cortez back then, described Baja as a useless place, rocks, sand and thorny bushes, concluding that nobody would ever want to settle there. 400 years ago there were only local small tribes here, they were doing fine for themselves - by their standards.

You/we want bridges, roads, ATM, cable internet, running water etc etc. In the place where there is no water and roads get destroyed almost every year. So they will build and repair.

Are there reports that the bridge has been actually destroyed?

Here is Cabo: Video.
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Shari, there is no choice. People should not be living in Baja at all - not that many people.

A priest traveling with Commandante Cortez back then, described Baja as a useless place, rocks, sand and thorny bushes, concluding that nobody would ever want to settle there. 400 years ago there were only local small tribes here, they were doing fine for themselves - by their standards.

You/we want bridges, roads, ATM, cable internet, running water etc etc. In the place where there is no water and roads get destroyed almost every year. So they will build and repair.

Are there reports that the bridge has been actually destroyed?

Here is Cabo: Video.

Actually ALM the quote is "Pathless waterless thornfull rock- thrust up between two oceans" Jesuit as i remember--One of my favorite quotes Not a happy camper i guess

[Edited on 9-4-2017 by BajaGlenn]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 12:17 PM

Glenn - yes, I think this was the text that I read years ago. Couldn't find it now.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-4-2017 at 12:50 PM

Noted over on TB, last update: Bridge out between Santa Rosalia and Mulege , passable with precautions...

grapenut1956

shocked.gif posted on 9-4-2017 at 12:50 PM

Hey Russ, glad you made it thru ok, again. And thank you for the updates. Linda Newton
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.