BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TIP needed for RV in Baja now?
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 10:07 AM
TIP needed for RV in Baja now?

I'm getting news (posted on other Baja forums) that a TIP is now needed for an RV driving the peninsula. Any new/accurate info on this? TIA.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 10:10 AM

A thread on this was already started Paul: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87792

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 11:11 AM

Thank you David. I read most of the (pertinent) posts on the links, but couldn't find a definitive answer. I drive a 2005 GMC 1 ton (3500) single rear wheel (Not a dually), crew cab with a long bed. I have mounted a 1989 Alaskan (8' bed length) pop up camper. Weight of my truck is ~ 7000 lbs, weight of camper ~ 1650 lbs (empty). What I really need to know is what are my chances of crossing at Tecate without any hassle about having to get a TIP? I will be taking down some supplies for our La Paz clinic that I squirrel away in the camper/pick up bed. Does anyone have current information on crossing (any California crossing will do) with a truck like mine? Thank you.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 12:07 PM

When smuggling stuff across the border, any crossing should be worried about. Tecate has been getting wise to these things.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 12:26 PM
OK, lets take worst case scenario

Crossing Southbound with a 2000 F350 dually and a Host 11.5 foot cab over and I needed to get a TIP, what exactly does it take?
Can I take my ID, passport, vehicle registration and what other paperwork and just pay the damn money and be done with this potential problem?

Can it be done just after crossing in Tijuana?
How much $ and what paperwork do I need? Then am I good to go for 10 years? Once I receive the TIP, can I get away with crossing Northbound and then come back at a later time with the same TIP?

If it cost "just" $50 and your good to go for 10 years, what's the big deal?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 12:29 PM

Perhaps cross at San Ysidro with the masses on a weekday late afternoon with the commuters going home. It's flooded with cars. Pure chaos. Might work to your benefit.

[Edited on 9-24-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 12:41 PM

IF it is easy peasy and it costs $50 for 10 years, I would rather pay the $50 and not think twice about it when crossing. In the big picture, what is $50 over 10 years?
$4.17 a year, .34 a month, less than anything I can think of.

That's if it is easy and good for 10 years with no hassles.

George Bernard Shaw

boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 12:59 PM

Howard, the Talk Baja group on Facebook is where I originally read about this. BajaBound has rules listed on a Banjercito link, but it's all too confusing. According to some personal experience posts on various forums, not sure if the rules have recently changed or were already in place and now being enforced. TIP cost ~ $52 USD, may be good for 6 months up to 10 years, may or may not have to turn it in at the border, etc., etc., etc. Banjercito link states TIP not needed for pickup with camper in Baja, but some posts dispute this. ????

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 01:09 PM

I am driving my car southbound on or about Oct 2nd. If I remember (which is less than a 15% chance) I will stop and ask what the story is and what it would take to get a TIP at the border.
Make that less than 10%. :biggrin:

George Bernard Shaw

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Howard, the Talk Baja group on Facebook is where I originally read about this. BajaBound has rules listed on a Banjercito link, but it's all too confusing. According to some personal experience posts on various forums, not sure if the rules have recently changed or were already in place and now being enforced. TIP cost ~ $52 USD, may be good for 6 months up to 10 years, may or may not have to turn it in at the border, etc., etc., etc. Banjercito link states TIP not needed for pickup with camper in Baja, but some posts dispute this. ????

If you look at the photo of the truck in Talk Baja, it is a permanently mounted camper. Thus the designation "RV". and the Owner was going over to the mainland on the ferry. He agreed he did not need one for Baja.

for other responses, the only ones that said they needed one were in class a/c motorhomes or trailers.

You might want to read through the thread again to clear up some of your confusion.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 02:07 PM

I have tried twice (though, admittedly in person) to get a 10-year, RV type TIP for my truck camper. Aduana refuses to issue one for this type of "RV" as it has no engine or wheels. This is the one that is approx. $50 US.

I believe I also attempted to get one on line through Banjercito but as there is no license plate for a truck camper, it wouldnt allow it.

THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN THE TIP THAT ALLOWS PASSAGE INTO THE MAINLAND. You can be issued one of those with a TC (assuming you can still bring one into the country; see the other Nomad post about TCs being denied entry along Texas border). It's really just a permit for your truck.

They only last the length of your immigration permit and you are charged a refundable bond ($100, 200, 400 depending on the age of your vehicle), as well as the permit fee (around $60 US). If you do not return the decal sticker (associated with this "mainland" TIP) to a border crossing that has an official kiosk/office for returning this, you lose your deposit. This must be done before the expiration date. An attendant comes out with a razor blade and scrapes it off as it has a bar code and hologram of some sort.

And not all border crossings have this kiosk/office, so dont assume that the border you plan on crossing back into the US, has one.

BTW, this last "mainland" TIP CANNOT be gotten online, through Banjercito, as far as I know.

For those of you who live and/or recreate in Baja, I sincerely hope that any or all of the TIPS are not in your future. They can be a real nightmare with the uneven enforcement and changing rules. Sometimes a utility trailer carrying motos or ATVs needs them; sometimes not. And if your "mainland" decal is destroyed or your car stolen, tough ta taas. You lose the deposit.

The biggest detriment to NOT returning your decal is that you can be stopped at the border and denied receiving another one (on ANY vehicle). Yes, there is a database in place that tracks persons who never returned the decal.

There have been other "gotchas" along the way. If a true RV (like a motorhome) is towing a utility trailer with nothing or motos/ATVs in it, the whole enchilada is entered onto the "mainland" TIP. If all those arent returned promptly, you lose the bond. This can be problematic if you were bringing the ATVs down to keep at your place in Mexico. You could just "eat" the deposit..........but your motorhome is still potentially ineligible for future trips.

It would be just like Mexico to begin requiring a mainland-style TIP in Baja.............and then provide no place to return it at, say, Tecate or Mexicali or San Ysidro. Or make it a complete vehicular clusterpummel to return it, while you are in line.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 02:11 PM

rts, here are 3 posts from the aforementioned Talk Baja group, you can see what leads to my confusion. Second post states TIP needed for RV's. Is my pickup truck with attached camper not considered an RV? Second post also doesn't indicate if for Baja or mainland.

You do not need a tip if you are only in the Baja

Apparently things have changed. The last two weeks nearly everyone crossing have had to get a T.I.P. for their RV's...plus, we already know about the boats coming into Baja..

Yep. Things have changed. Needed one for my class c. And they knew I was only in the Baja

I have also read on other forums that trying to cross with a 3/4 or full ton truck with a cab over camper attached have been turned back at the border for exceeding the vehicles GVWR.

[Edited on 9-24-2017 by boe4fun]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 03:06 PM

From the original poster. "We needed it for our truck to go to the mainland once we cross at La Paz, we had seen posts where people were denied with a truck camper, and yes you don't need it for Baja"

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 07:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
From the original poster. "We needed it for our truck to go to the mainland once we cross at La Paz, we had seen posts where people were denied with a truck camper, and yes you don't need it for Baja"

This is still not clear. WHAT TIP were they denied and turned back, coming from La Paz on the ferry? Not asking you RT, I understand you are just reposting.

Yes, you would need the mainland TIP for ANY vehicle, if you are going from La Paz to the mainland. I have gotten this type of TIP more than once for my truck camper.

But they have not been allowing the acquisition of the RV TIP for a simple truck camper.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 06:13 AM
Motorhome Temporary Import Permits

Additional information from Discover Baja Travel Club:
http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/motorhome-temporary-import-pe...

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 08:06 AM

The OP said he had a motor home. A pickup with camper is not a motor home. Mexico does not allow TIP for pickup/camper, thus they are not allowed entry into the mainland. No restrictions for pickup/camper entering Baja so far.

As noted in the Discover Baja link motor home TIPs are discussed in length. When they stop you just get the required TIP.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87860&got...

"I'm too young to be this old!"
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The OP said he had a motor home. A pickup with camper is not a motor home. Mexico does not allow TIP for pickup/camper, thus they are not allowed entry into the mainland. No restrictions for pickup/camper entering Baja so far.

As noted in the Discover Baja link motor home TIPs are discussed in length. When they stop you just get the required TIP.
Got TIP for my 1-ton truck and camper just fine - no problem! http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87860&got...

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 01:35 PM

Which TIP, Bob? Sorry, Unbob.

The 10 year TIP or the TIP tied to your immigration form duration?
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Which TIP, Bob? Sorry, Unbob.

The 10 year TIP or the TIP tied to your immigration form duration?
The TIP which expires in 180 days. The TIP deposit for my vehicle was $300 - so don't want to lose that! Also charged $56.15 for the hologram windshield sticker - which of course is non-refundable.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.