woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 09:46 AM

great thread. i'm understanding my first inuendo in another language:light:

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 11:23 AM

What I got politely corrected on in Spain was using "abuelita" in talking with other women of my age group. I've never known a Mexican grandmother who wasn't a little grandmother--no matter what her size--but Spanish women put just enough emphasize on "abuela" to let me know this was the term they considered proper.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 05:04 PM

"cojer un juau juau"

In Cuba= to catch a bus.

In Mexico= to flock a dog.

"Papaya"

In Mexico= a tropical fruit.

In Cuba= a penis. (They call it "fruta de bomba" instead)

The only "correct" language is the one spoken by the people of the place in which one finds oneself.

Case in point:

Friendly Southern girl welcoming newly transplanted Northern neighbor: "Where y'all from?"

Haughty Yankee transplant: "From where we do not end a sentence with a preposition."

Southern Girl: "Oh! Let me rephrase that. Where y'all from, b-tch?"
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 05:25 PM
Every language has these little glitches

I particularly like this one in English: In England when someone says they are going to "knock you up" it means they are going to call you on the telephone. Slightly different meaning in the US of A.
++Ken++

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by Ken Bondy]
Porky Pig
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 07:56 PM
por favor

you can't lose by starting out a conversation with "por favor"
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 08:21 PM

I'll stay with that word 'usted' always--until I have been given permission to use 'tu'. The most beautiful word for me is 'de nada' which is a nice reply to 'gracias'. It will always bring a smile if it is used after you have given someone something---why? because it relieves the person receiving something of any sense of responsiblity for responding in kind. 'De Nada'--it is nothing/ or for nothing.

For my money Mexico (even better than Texas)is the best place in the world to try and learn the language BECAUSE the people are so gracious and helpful and they are just downright happy that are you trying.

Oh! yea--the second words I learned were 'otra mas' and I still like the results of using them.

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You sure about that? I always thought it was "guagua." ??

--Larry

That could be the Cuban spelling. I was pretty sure that juau juau was the Mexican spelling (there's a table dance place in SLRC by that name). I asked someone who knows the correct pronunciation about the spelling but he just c-cked his head to one side, looked at me like he was thinking "WTF?", and went back to licking his privates.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 10:05 AM
Oso

Now that I know your source I will NEVER question you again.

On this note why don't you share "The Pig in the Barber Shop" with the new folks. A fantastic book with insights into the Mexican culture--and a fun read by H. Allen Smith

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
On this note why don't you share "The Pig in the Barber Shop" with the new folks. A fantastic book with insights into the Mexican culture--and a fun read by H. Allen Smith

Well, you just did.

I'd also add "Baja HaHa", by the late, great Fred Hoctor, a personal friend of Baja Bernie who is himself a "Baja Author" of no small note.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 05:10 PM

"If I could do that, I'd never leave the house." - George Carlin
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
"If I could do that, I'd never leave the house." - George Carlin

Oso, one word:

Yoga:biggrin:

El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 12:19 AM
Speaking of private parts...

I learned an embarassing lesson in Spanish when I went into an auto partes store in San Felipe which employs several young lovelies working the counter. Needing a replacement grease fitting for my front axel I asked her, "tiene pez?n por grasa?"

Before I could state the make of vehicle, she had sent the jefe over who very patiently corrected me once he figured out what I was attempting to ask for.

I still have the simple but accurate pencil drawing he made for me of a grease nipple with the word "grasera" underneath.

I can only imagine what I was asking her!
:?::bounce::lol:

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 08:36 AM

"grasera" - literal translation= greaser.

Sweet Tater, you were not far from a literal trans. of grease nipple (although shoulda been para not por).

BUT, this is why if you are in a market (in Central Mexico, at least), above the eggs you will see a sign saying "blanquillos", NOT "huevos".

Translation is an art, not a science. That is why I have a low opinion of online automated translators and don't believe they'll ever be perfected to a point of reliability.

[Edited on 2-28-2005 by Oso]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.