Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: fish tacos?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 11:01 AM
fish tacos?

i what to make fish tacos for christmas eve. Looking for suggestion on what kind of fish to use. and what kind of batter? please help me

Barbara M

[Edited on 12-21-2018 by John M]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 11:14 AM

I find that equal parts of all purpose flour and COLD beer, with some salt and pepper in the batter, works just fine.

Any firm fish that can stand up to the temps of hot oil will work. Might as well just get some inexpensive frozen fish at the market. Cod works well, though who knows if it is really cod these days. Sometimes frozen mahi-mahi can be inexpensive.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 11:16 AM

I also have a friend that adds some cornmeal to his all-purpose batter. It gives it a different flavor.

I am assuming you are in the States.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 11:24 AM

Check out the Fisherman's Belly website. He has lots of good fish recipes, including tacos. Link is below. Have an excellent Christmas. :D

https://www.fishermansbelly.com/

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 11:25 AM

panko breadcrumbs works great too
sandpoint
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 11:47 AM

I use tilapia here in San Diego. It's inexpensive and firm. Most importantly, you taste the batter. I use Debra Schneider's recepie from Cooking on the Edge. Only modifications for me are I use a bit more hot spices in the batter and I always use more beer for the batter than she does. I like my batter to be a little firmer/thicker (Just a bit!) than pancake batter. I prefer her 1/2 masa/flour mix to the all masa one. It's basically dried oregano, garlic powder, dried mustard, cayenne, salt, pepper, baking powder and the masa/flour/beer mixture.

I cut, lime, salt the fish then mix the batter. As soon as the batter is ready, I put all the fish into the batter, cover it and move onto the other things like making pico de gallo, tortillas, white creama AND WITHOUT FAIL, the the avocado sauce. The unsweetened condensed milk is the key. It's the one without added sugar.

For cooking, get the batter/fish bowl near room temp that way it doesn't bring the oil temps down as much. I keep the oil at 375 ish with a thermometer and I never, ever cook them inside. Fry them twice, first very light brown, drain, then back in for another minute or two max. Use a nice dutch oven/enameled pot to control the oil temps. The more oil you use, the less temperature change happens. But-you'll have more fish taco oil to store. You'll almost certainly be using new oil, so the first batch will take a bit longer. After some impurities are in the oil, they'll cook faster.

http://www.chefdeborahschneider.com/images/look_inside.pdf

It's almost cheating using her book. They are sooooo good.

[Edited on 12-21-2018 by sandpoint]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 12:18 PM

I like Halibut or shark or any firm fish.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 12:34 PM

Great book, Sandhill. So glad you posted.

That's a rather involved fish taco recipe, but it looks worth it. Never have double fried fish. I know the benefits with french fries.

[Edited on 12-21-2018 by Hook]
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:21 PM

If you're in the states, just get Drakes fish fry batter or use Tempura batter from Smart & Final or elsewhere.

Shredded cabbage, little diced onion, cilantro, crema sauce (mayo & lime), & some good hot sauce. Avocado sauce is good too, but I'd rather have some fresh avocado.

Avocado sauce; = 5 tomatillo's, 1 Serrano, cup of diced cilantro, half cup of chopped onion, some lime juice. Mix all up in blender then ad one avocado and just blip the blender a few times. Avocado sauce.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:25 PM

Dry mix of half and half Italian bread crumbs and Panko.
Beat eggs, dip fish, roll thru dry mix, dip fish again in eggs, roll second time thru dry mix, fry.
Cheapest fish works for me, grandkids love it.

Timinators recipe for sides is similar to mine but I make a white sauce out of Mexican Crema and Rose's sweetened lime juice to taste.
Charlie Nichols

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:48 PM

I use Aunt Jemima's pancake mix (the just add water type). Substitute beer for about half the water, salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Cod, shark, bass, sheepshead, trigger fish, whitefish, I've used them all with success.
sandpoint
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 01:52 PM

Avo crema: blender till just pourable. Thinner than pancake batter: avocados, lime juice, unsweetened condensed milk, salt. top with chopped cilantro. Stretches avocados a looooong way.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I like Halibut or shark or any firm fish.

This and Calico bass make great tacos!

Making America Great Again
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 04:33 PM

.....and don't forget the cumin in the batter.....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2018 at 04:54 PM

Hi John,

Consider an alternative that was a huge hit for me when part of group said they didn't like fish tacos.
Mahi Mahi fish grilled, just add lime and pepper
Tortillas and also optional romaine lettuce leaves work great
I served with fresh limes on side
Put out a dish of Pico de Gallo, beans, cheese, chili's
Extremely simple
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 08:10 AM

Thanks everyone for all the information, I can't wait to get started. It will be fun

.Mrs M
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 09:01 AM

Wouldn't be easier to just go to San Felipe? LOL
Have fun cooking John... Say hi to Barbara and Merry Christmas to you both!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 09:04 AM
In Baja

We'll be in Baja over New Years - does that count David?

We've got two taco places in mind.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 09:22 AM

Yes, always! Happy New Year! Go find some adventure!
It was New Years weekend, nine years ago that Elizabeth and I went to see the "lost mission" mystery walls near Las Animas. We stopped to celebrate New Years at bajalou's turkey feast, I believe it was the final one he and Teina held. TW and The squarecircle (Roy) were there, El Comandante Loco (Rudy), and El Camote, too.

See the photos in Part 1 of my 1-2009 report: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=36237

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2018 at 07:08 PM

We ordered fish tacos at Lupe Sierra's in San Evaristo. Lupe was just fileting the cochito when we arrived, and after we enjoyed the tacos, he gave us the rest of the cochito to take with us. Of course he got a propina grande.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.