Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Passports / visas
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

That's a contract issue (if it even exists), not a law. So the analogy doesn't work.

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by JZ]

So I guess it's not important to know about the legal or as you say contact requirements of taking a financed car by your bank to Mexico, or what a Mexican cop may do if he pulls you over and looks at your registration and car insurance, or what your bank will do if you get in an accident in Mexico.

JZ, it seems like your not sure what the requirements are for foreigners from the US taking a financed car to Mexico?

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 02:17 PM

Not sure what your jibber jabber is trying to express.

I'm just saying you shouldn't compare a law with a civil contract.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 02:25 PM

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/lienholders.php
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Exactly, and I bet the majority of travelers to Mexico, with financed vehicles, do not know some banks require their permission to take your car to Mexico, if you car is financed by them. Just like many don't know about any FMM requirement, when you just drive right in over the border.

Of course the banks really want to know your car is being insured and that's all they really care about.

Another thing it's best to post some of the information from links, because using links and Google to search for information isn't very popular here.

Crossing Into Mexico with a Financed Vehicle Does Your Finance Company Need a Copy of Your Mexican Insurance Policy?

Before traveling into Baja or mainland Mexico it is a good idea to check with the company through which you financed the lease or purchase of your vehicle, to see if they have special requirements for international travel. Many lien holders require their clients to request an official letter of permission to be carried with their Mexican insurance policy throughout the entire trip.

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 04:08 PM

awrightawrightawrightawright nuff
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2019 at 11:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

... said Mex was the only one you
could walk across without formally checking in

"Was". Today you can rarely walk across without being checked (or by bus - same thing, you have to walk through the INM).

Last time the bus SY-TIJ was checked not unlike somewhere in Europe. Young and polite INM guy stepped in, checked everybody's ID, collected documents of those who needed FMM, and stepped out back to his booth. I was amazed :).

This bus was the last stand to fall. Both SY ped crossings were heavily controlled already, but people on the bus were walking peacefully through, behind the backs of INM guys who were processing the main crowd coming from the US side through Ped West.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 11:04 AM
Maybe the Time has Come ..........................

For personal RFID implants ?

Scan everybody ?

We're 35 years overdue.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 12:24 PM

You are lucky not to have ground exit control to the South. Here in Canada we can't leave without the big brother knowing about it, no matter by ground or air. Thanks to mutual agreement with US CBP. Passport scanned upon the US entry would automatically generate the record in Canadian customs computer. US citizens are tagged the same way - you enter Canada and the record is generated in the US CBP computer.

No RFID implants are necessary :)
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 01:26 PM
Great idea- The N-zis did it

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
For personal RFID implants ?

Scan everybody ?

We're 35 years overdue.

Not only the N-zis, but also mentioned rather prominently in the Bible

Rev. 13:17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 01:59 PM

They stamped me at the door of the night club. Must've been studying the Good Book :)
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 02:23 PM

Here is a nice exchange between David K, BajaGeoff, of "Baja Bound, and Bruce Leech, from many years ago on this site.

David K, asks, the question, that I believe is a myth, but is repeated over and over on Baja sites, and that's the belief, that if you don't have a FMM, and you get into an accident in Baja, that your car's insurance company, usually a Mexican insurance company won't pay the claim.

BajaGeoff, of course rather error on the right side, and didn't say he knew 100% either way, but he didn't think not having a FMM, would result in an denying of an auto accident claim, and I believe he never ran into that problem before, despite him being in the business, is because it's not a problem.

Bruce's, answer, is immaterial, and doesn't answer the question.

As always, do what you believe or want to do, but every time I hear some member, claim, "YOU NEED A FMM, BECAUSE IF YOU GET INTO AN ACCIDENT IN BAJA, THE CAR INSURANCE COMPANY WON'T PAY."

I'm just going to laugh, and ask them, how do they know?

My guess, is that most travelers to Mexico, that have a bank lien holders, don't bother, asking their bank, permission to take their car to Mexico. I bet they had no idea, it's even a requirement of most lien holders.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Geoff, once in a while someone on the Internet will panic tourists who did not know to (or bother to) get a tourist card. 'He' is saying without one, their insurance coverage is void.

Unless the insurance companies are run by immigration of Mexico, I don't see how a company can deny paying on a claim.

Will GE refuse to pay a claim if they discover somebody was in Santo Tomas (or Puertecitos, etc.) without a tourist card?

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
Hello David,

We always like to err on the side of caution and would rather that our customers have proper documentation and permission from their lein holder should a claim arise. It is more of a formality than anything.

Whether or not a claim would be paid on a vehicle that was forbidden to be in Mexico by the lein holder remains to be seen. Thankfully, we have never run across this situation in the years that we have been in business.

Tourist cards are really a seperate issue since it pertains to the person and not the vehicle. GE would most likely pay a claim on a vehicle even though the person may not have proper documents. I don't really see it as a reason for denial. If it were mainland Mexico and a car was impounded for not having a vehicle permit that is a different story. Mexican insurance really has no recourse for vehicles that are confiscated for not carrying the proper temporary vehicle importation documents.

Quote: Originally posted by Bruce R Leech  
I don't think it is good practice to advise people to brake the law in Mexico.

I always get a official letter of permission from whom ever owns a vehicle that I am driving In Mexico. and yes I have had occasion where I needed it.

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 02:43 PM
Let's get started before it's too late

The universal RFID program would necessarily be phased in over an extended period of time, BUT using it as a convenience enticement for those who are crossing the border could be a start.

Moving on from there, they could work on parents' insecurity over their children in school to expand the RFID program to children entering school.

Next, those already IN school.

Next, Newborn babies.

Next, ......................... ???????

Saving us old Geezers until last since most of us would be dead long before it became cost-effective.

Besides, a high percentage of the aged don't do anything or travel anywhere, anyway.

BUT, I'm good with it if they want to track me. There's no place I go or anything I do that would be a problem for the government or myself.

Now, when I was younger ............................ it was a different story.

Thank God for that.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 03:00 PM

RFID for Mexico entry (not necessarily an implant) is only a matter of time. 15 years ago they didn't even have computers in the INM booth, and FMM - for those who bothered to ask for one - was written on green piece of paper looking like a store receipt.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-8-2019 at 10:44 AM

If you drive far enough to the south, and don't relish the drive north, you may think the trip to the Mainland will be in your immediate future. But it only can be so, if you have done some due diligence: have the FMM's and the TIP's for your vehicles. You don't get on the Ferry, without them. The drive around and back down the Pacific coast is measured in hundreds and even thousands of Kilometres. If you stop, and think ahead you've saved yourself time and likely money.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.