Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Kat and her dog are missing
mscowpatty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 01:47 PM
Kat Hammontre Missing Since 4-11-19

Warren Sundquist
6 hrs ·
I am sorry I am unable to answer each and every email, text and call I am receiving and am so thankful for what is going on in search of my beloved wife Kat, and our dog Tootsie. Below is some information as to what happened and what has been done up to now. Anybody reading this that has any more information, please add to this post. Thank you Dave for posting the first part of this.

Sharing from: David Cougher: To set the record straight and avoid conjecture, here is what happened on Thursday, Aril 11th, 2019, Warren and Kat’s One Year Anniversry. This was a three vehicle (Jeep, Xterra and Ford F-150) day trip to Diablo Canyon where the waterfalls are.. Warren and I stayed at the Canyon Parking area. Seven people including Kat, and her dog Tootsie, hiked on the trail to the spot where the trail first intersects with running water in the arroyo. Kat had Tootsie with her and decided to not continue up the arroyo, to the falls, since it is a climb to the pools and she just wanted to take Tootsie to the water. The trail from the parking to the arroyo, where there is running water, is between one quarter and three eights mile. The trail is fairly well marked. Once the group got to the end of the trail, where it drops into the arroyo and there is running water, Kat said she’d be right there when they returned. This is pretty common when some folks in a group don’t feel physically able to climb. I have done this hike numerous times and have had several older less mobile people opt to stay put before the ascent. The group returned to the spot where the trail starts at the arroyo in 70-90 minutes and she was gone. The group didn’t see nor hear Tootsie or Kat. They returned to the parking area and realizing she didn’t venture back to that location and an immediate search was launched. A professional photographer’s drone was launched to view the falls and canyon down to the ranch while the search group went back on the trail to retrace the area and search the East area past the parking. Horns were sounded, yelling and driving to the Ranch in case she ventured that far. After hours of searching, Warren gave numbers to be called to mobilize and notify search groups. He stayed on site while cars left to get cell service to alert authorities. She was not left. She was not abandoned. She wandered off on her own. All efforts available at the time were used to search for her.
Thank you Dave for the above. I edited it a little for people that have not done that hike. The trail itself, and a couple other trails from the parking to the arroyo are fairly well marked, however, finding them when coming out of the canyon can be difficult.
To continue, Thursday night after the other two vehicles left, I parked the jeep. Around seven pm a group of hikers from Mexicali pulled in. I told them what happened and they said they were going to get some sleep and then start up the arroyo at midnight. I asked why start out in the middle of the night and they said it is easier to hike up to the National Park when it is not hot. They said they would keep an eye and ear out for Kat and Tootsie. Sometime around 10 PM a group (Scopion Goup) of around 6 or 7 vehicles from our community showed up. I asked Nichole to call Dan Martens when they got back to El Dorado Ranch that evening. Dan assembled this group and we discussed what had happened and decided there wasn’t much we could do that late. The group returned to San Felipe and I went back to sleep after the group of hikers took off. I did not hear anything that night when I slept in the Jeep.
Friday, April 12th, 2019. Around 9 am, the Scorpion Group returned. This time there were more than a dozen vehicles and everybody headed out searching the area. There was one individual from the Fire Department that came with this group. The Military was on site searching, including a helicopter. After a day of searching, we all returned to San Felipe. During the day, the wheels started working and groups of rescue personnel were preparing for a Saturday search. When I got home, the phone did not stop ringing. Most of the calls were from two of the rescue groups wanting information about when and where we had been searching. One group said there would be a group of searchers at the Canyon at 4:00 AM Saturday morning.
Saturday, April 13th, 2019. Nichole, Cesar and myself went to the Military Base in San Felipe to brief the Army personnel and the helo pilots. Cesar stayed and went out to the group with the helo. We headed out to the canyon at 8:30 am, again a group of a dozen Scorpio vehicles and s few rescue personnel vehicles. When we reached the canyon, the helicopter was flying above. A State of Baja Rescue group from Tijuana was on site searching. After a day of searching by all these groups (Military, Scorpions, Baja Rescue Group and another Group from Mexicali) we assembled at the corral about a mile from the canyon entrance where the State Rescue Group set up camp with Satellite Internet Service, a radio tower and a base camp where they were going to spend the night.
It is now Sunday, April 14th, 2019 and I am about to head out again. I will post updates when I return.
The number of groups and personnel in this search is overwhelming and I am so impressed and thankful for this help.

Kat.jpg - 54kB Tootsie.jpg - 6kB Kat2.jpg - 101kB

Attachment: dilabito-diablo (1).gpx (196kB)
This file has been downloaded 283 times
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
4-14-2019 at 02:09 PM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Topped
4-14-2019 at 02:09 PM
mscowpatty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 03:04 PM

I realize there have been previous posts, however, Warren (Kat's husband) posted this earlier in the hopes of clearing up some info.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 03:38 PM

Thank you, Patty!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 07:06 PM

time for everyone doing remote stuff to have an Inreach in their pocket. Pro or amateur alike.
I got lost in the 80's searching for the pole Line Road. With no tracks to follow I got lost. For 4 days. Then I found tire tracks. But they were my own.

I carried a sat phone before spot or InReach were available. Good, but not perfect as satellite coverage was sparse 20 years ago. Now things are getting better.

Harald Pietschmann
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
time for everyone doing remote stuff to have an Inreach in their pocket. Pro or amateur alike.
I got lost in the 80's searching for the pole Line Road. With no tracks to follow I got lost. For 4 days. Then I found tire tracks. But they were my own.

I carried a sat phone before spot or InReach were available. Good, but not perfect as satellite coverage was sparse 20 years ago. Now things are getting better.

I would not be surprised to see a phone app for sat comm sometime soon. Since most of our phones have GPS, they should (???) be able to use satellites for communication. It seems a likely progression. Probably a matter of licensing the right chipset. If they can put it all in a small InReach unit, cell phones can't be too far behind.

John

[Edited on 4-15-2019 by John Harper]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 09:18 PM

Every year people get lost or hurt around Picacho del Diablo - whatever can produce an emergency signal will save your life:
https://sintesistv.com.mx/un-gps-le-salvo-la-vida-a-un-sende...

Harald Pietschmann
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 07:58 AM

NBC San Diego: Local Woman Searching for Missing Friend in Mexico

Seattle Times: Search underway for Seattle woman who went missing during hike in Mexico

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 11:48 AM

That is really scary.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 03:27 PM

I rode out there solo this year on my bike but decided to turn back before I got all the way to the canyon, just wasn't comfortable being solo that far out. I've been thinking about a spot for just this kind of area. Hope everything turns out for the good.
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 07:03 AM

Are there any updates on this?
Hoping for the best.

I like beer, better than most people.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Are there any updates on this?
Hoping for the best.

Facebook is the most up-to-date, it seems.
From Cesar's page: https://www.facebook.com/cesarq686

8 hours ago:

Kat Hammontre Search Update : Today more poeple from different goverment agencies were added to the search and found nothing Proteccion Civil says there is no proof she was even there and they want to call off the search , well the proof just arrived with dates and location of where this photos were taken . PGJE told me a few minutes ago that they will submit this to Sub Procuracion del Estado and the search will continue. The SEARCH HAS NOT ENDED until they find something this sad story has gotten a lot of attention in the US tv stations and the American Embassy is very involved and has not forgotten Kat. Thank you Kevin Lucarelli for the pictures got them just in time!! There is still hope and we all need closure😥😥 . On a lighter note due to this horrible incident San Felipe will have its own Search & Rescue K9 meet “Kat” our friend Julio Cesar Diaz dog trainer in search and rescue who was here yesterday has donated this beautiful dog who will be trained by him and now live in San Felipe so we can have immediate response in case something like this happens again we can move faster , remember a lot of people here venture out into the desert and without ever thinking how dangerous it really is time for bed good night 😴.

22 hours ago:

Good morning Kat Hammontre search update : Please if anyone is thinking about going out to help and have never been to this area do not go out alone the desert can be dangerous!! If you do go out make sure the person that goes out there with you know how to get there and let other know when you left and when you will be back we do not need to be looking for more people. If you go out there is a command post set up by the corral where the water tank is where the horses drink water State Civil Proteccion is there and they are in charge please check in with them first to see what they need and how you can help . Do not take it upon your selves to go looking for her. On this picture marked in red is the last spot where Kat was seen as you can see the brush is very dense and the terrain is hard to walk and search so please be careful . If you do go out there rescuers need ice, water and home cooked meals would be appreciated . Please check in with State Civil Proteccion when you arrive. And please do not post anything if your information is not 100% confirmed thank you!!

[Edited on 4-17-2019 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 08:36 AM

/mexiconewsdaily.com/news/search-continues-for-woman/

Es Todo Bueno
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 09:04 AM

Search continues for woman, 68, missing in Baja desert

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 02:25 PM

This is just so bizarre. So many looking and not one clue. It must be so cold at night.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 03:12 PM

Human prints and dog prints along side shouldn't be too hard to follow in the sand? At best, two miles walked per hour. How many hours was she left alone? If she collapsed why didn't the dog go for help or back to the parking area? I hope this ends well for her and Wornout.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 06:22 PM

Dog is very young.
The track by any of the possibilities from the last sighting is mostly rocks and boulders. Finding a footprints would be unlikely.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 07:17 PM

I'm thinking total disappearance could be an abduction thing. She apparently seems very desert savvy, as well as location savvy.

Not a good boding.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 08:03 PM

Did I read correctly that they found two pot grows? Seems like an odd place to get it to grow? Really hope it turns out good.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Did I read correctly that they found two pot grows? Seems like an odd place to get it to grow? Really hope it turns out good.

water.......
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-17-2019 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

water.......

1+1 = ???

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.