Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sentri Taking Forever
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 12:16 PM

I don't have a problem with the wait, my application problem is that it won't accept anything but a passport for citizenship, and to enter the US.

My passport expired in 1995, I have a current passport card, and a birth certificate, which my Sentri application accepted five years ago. I emailed CBP through their website, but it can take up to two weeks to get an answer.

Any suggestions?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
I don't have a problem with the wait, my application problem is that it won't accept anything but a passport for citizenship, and to enter the US.

My passport expired in 1995, I have a current passport card, and a birth certificate, which my Sentri application accepted five years ago. I emailed CBP through their website, but it can take up to two weeks to get an answer.

Any suggestions?

SENTRI is only for mex/usa land border, so the passport card is acceptable ID.
GE is for air transit across borders and land borders, so since the passport card is not usable for air travel, I suspect they would not give GE to someone with only a passport card and lacking a passport.
During interview they ask to see passport.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2019 at 10:09 PM

All of my information is in the database from when I got my Sentri five years ago. If I didn't qualify for GE, I wouldn't have been able to apply for instead of renewing my Sentri. I have no use for an actual passport, and have no plans to get another one.

Hopefully, it won't take two weeks for them to get back to me, since I'd like to get the application submitted.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2019 at 08:20 AM

Any suggestions?

Get a passport book.

Having a passport card but not a book is somewhat unusual. Usually, people get the card in addition to the book. The book is accepted everywhere, the card has limited use.

Starting 1 October 2020 you'll need either the "Real ID" CA driver's license or a passport book to get on an airplane. I recommend you get a passport book. The main San Diego office on Midway has a passport office that can handle all application situations, including expedited applications.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-27-2019 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Starting 1 October 2020 you'll need either the "Real ID" CA driver's license or a passport book to get on an airplane. I recommend you get a passport book. The main San Diego office on Midway has a passport office that can handle all application situations, including expedited applications.

All travelers flying on a domestic flight must present a photo ID issued at the state or federal level, such as a state driver's license that meets Real ID requirements, military ID or the United States passport. In addition to these commonly used forms of identification, passport cards, trusted traveler cards (such as the NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards issued by the Department of Homeland Security), border-crossing cards, Native American tribal ID cards, airline or airport photo ID cards issued in compliance with TSA regulations and transportation worker ID credentials also are acceptable forms of identification.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2019 at 08:38 AM

Oh, OK, thanks for the correction. I didn't know the assortment of cards would work. Seems to weaken the security.

I still recommend a regular passport book. It's like a master key that unlocks all doors.

[Edited on 7-27-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2019 at 11:30 AM

My passport card works just fine when I cross the border, and I don't need a passport book. My current one expired in 1995, I haven't needed one yet, and it's an additional expense that I can't afford, anyway. When I got my new CDL, it's a Real ID, so I can use that if I decide to fly somewhere.

I thought that someone on would be able to answer my question, but it looks like no one can. So I guess I'll have to cross the border next month, and ask CBP if they can answer my question, as to only a passport is accepted as an id on a GE application.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-27-2019 at 02:37 PM

Thanks for the discussion and reminder. I just submitted a renewal application for GE- hoping all goes smoothly and the delays aren't too long. But as stated below: you can use your card up to 1 year after expiration so long as you've submitted a renewal application.

FYI: here are details re:renewal process, from the site's FAQ page:

"You become eligible to renew your membership 1 year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 1 year after your membership expiration date. Follow these steps to renew your Trusted Traveler membership:

"Log in to the TTP website (click https://ttp.dhs.gov).

"If you don't have a login.gov account, you will be directed to login.gov to create an account first then you will be prompted to setup your TTP account profile. On the profile page, you will need to associate the account with your PASSID (membership number). See the back of your Trusted Traveler card or your approval letter.

"From your Dashboard, select the Renew button on your Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST program membership section.

"You must declare your citizenship (if you are a US Citizen, you declare "U.S.").

"Select the program that you wish to renew. You may select to renew another program for which you are eligible. However, remember that depending on the program you choose, your benefits may change. On the next page, acknowledge the program requirements.

"Follow the guidelines provided on the Membership Renewal page.

"When you have updated all information in the application, on the Final Review page, click Confirm and Continue in each section. At the bottom of the page, click Save and Continue.

"On the Certify page, answer Yes or No to "Do you certify?"

"Select Next. The Purchase Summary page will display.

"Fees are for application processing and are non-refundable. Check the box under the total application fee to agree and proceed.

"Select Pay Now. The online payment page displays.

"After payment, you will be returned to your TTP Dashboard."

I have had SENTRI since it began nearly 20 years ago, when I had a home near Ensenada as well as in San Diego. It was life changing at the time the program began.

A woman at the Otay office suggested adding GE when I renewed last time, at no additional charge. Given the costs of private "trusted traveller" services- these cards have more than paid for themselves many times over.

If you enjoy travel, and want to avoid unnecessary delays- I encourage anyone considering this to apply and/or renew and enjoy the advantages of being enrolled in the programs.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2019 at 04:50 PM

I'm going to apply for GE by starting a new account, and see what happens.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-27-2019 at 08:25 PM

Just get sentri. Same price as GE.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2019 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Just get sentri. Same price as GE.

Sentri is $122, GE is $100. I have Sentri, GE is less.

[Edited on 7-28-2019 by tjsue]
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:42 PM

Good grief, the government's stuff is so broken . . .

I just searched here, found this thread, and tried to open a GE application; but the consent dialog doesn't work -- it is just frozen, even if I log out and back in -- and so I can't apply.

Have waited six months on a Sentry application already, and begin to despair of having a way to avoid the heinous lines this winter.

Plus, by working around I can at least see appointments, and the only thing before 2/2020 is November in Calexico -- and I'm from Santa Cruz. Jeez Uncle Sam. I'll pay ya double, if you can just actually do the thing!!!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:55 PM

Seems like GE gets approved much faster.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:39 AM

I wondered about the length of time between applying for GE and getting an interview. I could not reach anyone by phone nor find a good answer on the website. A few weeks ago I was able to talk to an official at the GE interview office at the San Francisco airport. She said that one has a year to do the interview after applying. And that the interview can be requested without an appointment (once your application is processed) upon arrival into the u.s. by air. That's what we will do, as the next time we travel out of Mexico we will be flying.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 07:59 AM

Once I received my GE approval, on a Saturday about 2 or 3 weeks after I submitted it, I went to make an appointment for the interview and the earliest possible was Monday. Every day after that was wide open.

I waited to schedule the appointment because I wasn't going to be near the border for a few weeks and when I did get around to making the app, I think the first one was about a week out and after that again, wide open. This was at Calexico and I think I remember San Diego being maybe a couple months out. Kind of depends where you want to do the interview I spose.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 12:25 PM

I did the GE interview at LAX - in the Tom Bradley terminal. It took a little more than a month, maybe six weeks. Calexico was available immediately.

My kids did it at the new place right near LAX. Had to wait about a month. Less of a crowd at the new office compared to the tiny room they had at Tom Bradley. We were in and out w/in 20 mins of arriving.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:32 PM

I drove to Calexico to get it done. Cut out some long waits. Had to drive up, rent a motel room and go the next day - but the staff were cordial and pleasant to work with.

A bit out in the weeds, but kind of like visiting a foreign country.

I think you'll find nicer people there to help you.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.