BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Off beat places?
ORphil

[*] posted on 11-24-2019 at 10:50 PM
Off beat places?

Hey folks, brand new here. I have two questions for you. One is what is the best map that Backcountry Navigator uses?
The second involves out of the way cool places to visit. I have driven the peninsula five times, camped out at Concepcion, Pescadero, Bahia Los Angeles. This is all in the early 2000s and I am sure things have changed a lot. It looks like Todos Santos has blown up and where I have camped a few times south of there at Cerritos is a hotel now! And condos. I am limited to a rental car and our feet for hiking a bit but not necessarily backpacking overnight. It looks like La Purisima would be a neat place to go, and I love history and mining so El Truinfo? Scorpion bay to chill out? Not looking for backcountry but small towns, mining ruins, missions. Myself and a buddy are flying to Loreto and renting a car and have about two weeks to camp out, get a room now and then. I understand if folks don't want to give out the secret places on the internet, but hey. I'll try. I can't wait to get down there and I can't believe it has been 15 years. Thanks for keeping this forum going as well, it's a great source of information and reality in this "Mexico is sure death" world... Thanks!

Phil
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 08:52 AM

Going to rent a Jeep or 4x4?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 09:03 AM

Hi Phil,
I recommend you read the Baja Trip Reports forum here at Nomad. There are some gems that include hiking. Trip reports by 'geoffff' are especially rewarding. I covered most of the major routes plus a few special ones with some short hiking during my 2017-2018 research trips for the Baja Bound road guide. Use my website to help plan your trip: www.vivabaja.com
Not sure if renting a car is the way to explore Baja. A 4x4 is much better as most of Baja is not on a paved or graded road.
To me "Mexico is sure life"!

Edit add: Some great ideas being proposed. To see them on a map in relation to the area: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771

[Edited on 11-25-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 09:07 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I can't help you with the back country navigator info, but for places to visit I have a couple of ideas for you.

There was a very recent storm (Raymond) that will probably limit some of the places you could take a standard rental car, so ask locally about any updates on damage, or repairs!

I think the road down to Agua Verde will be kept passable for the locals, and I highly recommend it! Camp, or U-turn, your choice.

Even closer to Loreto is San Javier. It is a nice drive up there, and would make a nice part of a loop run to San Juanico, but not unless you are renting a rugged vehicle!

San Juanico itself would be a good place to hang out for a while, but staying on the pavement will require another U-turn route.

Are you sure you can't see yourself in at least an SUV for a rental? It would open up so much territory. Have a great trip!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 09:15 AM

Do come and visit us! We are three small villages, each with its own charm, on the Pacific side.

Punta Abreojos is the first, there is a sign for it turning left as you head north. The first exit past San Ignacio.

10 minutes north of them on the new paved road is La Bocana where we live! Follow the white signs with red writing to HOTEL. Once at the hotel, continue to the next house with the horse shoe driveway, and bingo, you will have found Les and Blanca.

1 and a half hours north of us is Bahia Asuncion. It has a new bar called the gypsy dive bar, we haven't even been there yet since it opened its doors yesterday!

We are fishing villages, average 1500 population, main source of income is lobster and fishing with strong fishing cooperatives. Very fun and very remote.

I know you seem to be leaning towards the south but a little bit north is interesting too!

Welcome to bajanomad and have a wonderful trip, wherever you head to.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ORphil

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 07:54 PM

Yes, something with high clearance might be in order. Thanks for all the ideas. I mainly just want some solitude and see some new places that haven't been developed heavily.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 08:01 PM

I have always wanted to explore the area that BajaBlanca is talking about, check out David's reports on that area...
ORphil

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 10:26 PM

I am cautious. I understand the dangers as well as the benefits of "wilderness". I have spent a lot of time in the backcountry of oregon. If there was a major injury in Baja it seems like it could be very difficult to contact or reach aid. Not too worried about stranded with a vehicle, I know to carry lots of h2o, food, shade etc.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 11:56 PM

Hola ORphil and welcome to nomad,

getting a room now and then, may i suggest a boutique and exceptionally clean and roomy and very helpful english speaking owner operators at the HOTEL ANGRA in loreto who may be able to direct you to some of the scenery and interesting points of interest that you show an interest in. and, very affordable. possibly a great base camp ?

la bocana and Bahia Asuncion are two very interesting and cordial locations that i am still interested in visiting as well. two hotel owners are also on this site and are very well informed of their areas as well as others.

sheri in baja asuncion also has an encampment that hosts travelers to the whale excursions during season in san ignacio (?).

les and baja blanca are two of the most loved sponsors of children to higher education as well as many other ventures helping people all over baja who also have a small hotel in la bocana.

safe camping is also available from my readings in both areas as well.

so much to pick through for your journey.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 07:54 AM

Two of my favorite out of the way places I found fascinating is San Jose de Magdelena between Sta.Rosalia & Mulege...up into the sierra there...the graveyard is outstanding and there is a cool arroyo river with lovely water potholes and running water. There is a cool museum at the top of the tiny village too.
And The Comondus are gorgeous too.

As Blanca said, this area of central baja has lots of super cool places to explore..Mission Sta.Gertrudis is a beauty and you can stay at our friends ranch there...and the ranch Escondido between El ARco and el Barril to see cave paintings....or Sierra de San Francisco...oh boy....so much Baja!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 09:19 AM

I would also suggest a mule trip in the Sierra San Francisco to see the great cave murals. If you'll have basic camping equipment (if fair weather, don't need a tent), you just need to bring enough food for 3 days. Maybe Bahia San Basilio - really beautiful. Whale season? Maybe pack a fold-up shovel with you - could come in handy. And if it's going to be another 15 years before you return, get the 4x4 to maximize your opportunities.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 09:40 AM

Santa Agueda just south of Santa Rosalia has lots of copper mining history and a beautiful area.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 10:19 AM

The Old Missions and Old Mines of Baja are great sites to visit and explore as Shari and Mula mentioned. You will find my book helpful and will add a lot to your visiting any of the 27 missions in Baja. www.oldmissions.com I also have mission photos and details on this webpage: www.vivabaja.com/bajamissions

As for emergencies or just to have communication anywhere in Baja (and allow friends to follow your travels), the Garmin/ DeLorme inReach satellite device is fantastic. I used the inReach Explorer all over Baja during the past nearly 4 years. It can pair with your cell phone using the free Earthmate app and you can text message to any of your contacts and have a larger map screen and use the phone keyboard for faster typing to emails or phone-text numbers.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.