Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Testing Yamaha yxz1000r ss se
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I picked up the 2019 sxs week ago . So far very Happy and all my fears unfounded.

Couple questions:

Are you planning on having a cage built (in your town)? Will a custom cage survive a roll over?

Where will you get a windshield?

Is the roof you're planning on for gear/gas? (I would think you don't want to be top heavy. Gear will effect center of gravity.)

$16,900. Where did you buy the yxz?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 08:41 PM

Lee I bought it used 30 miles on it. As I said custom cage helmet 4 point . Drive like a Idiot nothing will save you. Only you can protect yourself just like your car. Drive safe no plans to have cage done now. I will make roof sheet 1/16 aluminum. I had a flat glass cut 41x14 laminated tinted auto glass. I will make frame 1/8in thick by 3in with auto rubber seal. As far as roof rack only gear bag with spare pants t shirts ect. Your right don't want top heavy. At some point chrome moly if he does mine. He will make a jig I will sell them in the states. No gas on roof or heavy stuff I need make spare tire rack on back too. His cages are score approved. I don't drive fast prefer to see the country. On our trails so far 37mph that's about it as turns rocks up down. No place to go any faster.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 09:15 PM

Good plan, some guys add so much weight by adding all of the aftermarket junk. I will probably do a cage on mine but that about it. You can see my tool box from home depot and my ice chest in the back. Rocky mountain has a lot of stuff for SXS. Jack and lug wrench are mounted under the tire.
The alarm system is top of the line...Hope it was ok to post picture of mine in your thread? If not I can delete.

[Edited on 1-11-2020 by advrider]

[Edited on 1-11-2020 by advrider]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 09:42 AM

Great pictures will help me do the few mods thank you. Nice looking rig what is wheels tires? Do you have any stock wheels Im told. !000razor is same as 19 only YXZ. Also told same bolt pattern need spare wheel. I already bought dealer take off .Brand new 4 YXZ tires 300 bucks figuring if I toast one. The 19 YXZ is 29in tires to mount the spare is a pain . Don't want it hi up. Don't want it blocking rear view mirror the Yamaha swing away mount all good. I will copy it make one your is more easy to load stuff in back. With your radiator in front mine in back. What is your take on Jack I will just buy small bottle jack. Also bought LT and RT side mirrors as center one . Not good backing up.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 10:38 AM

My wheels are the stock bead lock wheels, that came with 29 inchx14 tires. I shredded one and went up to a 32 on the same wheels, they were Rocky mountain's own tire brand. They work really good. My rig came with 50% lower low range for rock crawling, it's really nice in the slow stuff. Mine also came stock with winch, bumper,skid plates (1/2 thick), harnesses and rock rails, high clearance a-arms . My spare cam from craiglist, there are ton's of wheels and tire there. Also check local shop for take off's.
A bottle jack will work but a good old scissor jack from a car is even better. Another trick is a tow strap over the cage and your buddy pulling just enough to tip the car up, but you need room for that.
I like the swing out tire mount as well, that way you can still get in the back to access your tools and ice chest. My radiator is in front, and the motor a little farther to the rear then center.
Mine is street legal with turn signals, mirrors and horn. Not street legal in California but Nevada, Arizona and Utah.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 08:25 PM

I should receive my calif title in another week . Of course we don't need plates on SXS or motos or race truck on hiway baja. Sill I will plate it in South Dakota anything but Calif.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 08:30 PM

As I said before even that this does not have low range like Razor for rock climb. First gear so slow im sure it would flip over backwards. At 5 mph not ready to find out. As it cant be good to get stuck at top of hill climb on this thing
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I should receive my calif title in another week . Of course we don't need plates on SXS or motos or race truck on hiway baja. Sill I will plate it in South Dakota anything but Calif.

Nice golf cart! Now that you are getting old and can’t handle the bike well anymore, that little go cart should be fun toy for you in your sunset years!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 08:34 PM

Ahh but I ride the moto 3 days a week golf cart the other 3. Both of witch old Baja Blow Hard like yourself cant do.:):bounce::light: Ja JA JA nice try
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 09:36 PM

Not sure Larry will be hanging up the handlebars anytime soon, I've seen the stuff he rides! The nice thing with the SXS'S is that you get to take the wife and enjoy the trip together. My wife has back issues that make long days on the bike hard, but the SXS has such good suspension that you don't feel the bumps.
Having an ice chest, table and chairs makes lunch an enjoyable event, often we bring a BBQ and have a hot lunch. I also find that many more couples enjoy SXS'S, much like jeeps. The thing with SXS'S VS jeeps is the fact that you can run 30-50 miles an hour all day long where the jeep would be going 5-10 MPH because of the rough roads.
Goat you really should try it before you knock it! I'm not sure we would hit it off but I would offer to take you for a ride in an area of your choosing anytime. Larry keep moving in any direction on any machine and you will never get old!

[Edited on 1-12-2020 by advrider]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 09:42 AM

Riding motos number one. On long trips there is one big disadvantage with sxs. Most routes heading south out of my riding area. Forces you to get on hiway ,1 to connect dirt roads and trails. The razors and yxzs rev way too high on hiway. I know mine has 80 mph top speed . At close to 10.000 rpms for me sweet spot is 4000 rpm. That is only.going 40mph no way will I buzz this thing at 65mph. For long stretches I know my friends from rosarita. Wrap up there razors to the rev limiter on hiway. That I won't do just using fuel oil and shortens life of machine. Where my. dirt bike uses Street bike gearing. Or my Toyota off road truck can easy run 65 mph.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 12:43 PM

A couple of years ago I was running Shari's Bufadora Inn for 6 weeks while she was guiding whale trips out of GN....and had the privilege of Malcolm Smith staying overnight while he was touring with his wife and another couple on 4 seater Can Am SXS's.

After the obligatory prostrations of adulation and a pic with Malcolm, I asked him how he liked 4 wheels under his scrawny butt. He said, "At first I thought I would hate it, but after 1/2 an hour of steering with the back wheels I loved it !" Well, if it's good enough for Malcolm, it's good enough for Trailrider et al.

Now, if Trailrider could just learn how to spell and use proper grammar.... ;):coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 12:52 PM

how ironic it would be a golfcart, a real golfcart that would put him in the hospital!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 01:27 PM

I know what you are saying about the highway but we ran ours all over Moab on the highway at 60-70 and didn't feel like I was pushing it at all. Mine will do about 80 with the stock computer and 120 MPH with a re-flash that removes the factory limiter.
I run good synthetic oil and will change it sooner if I've been running it hard. I talked to the factory Polaris guys in Moab about running them at highway speeds for extended periods and they said no problem, but I get not wanting to do it.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 08:07 PM

Ja ha adv rider did you ever look a your rpms. I have been in freinds 14. 1000 razor at 65 mph she is crying for mercy. Yes it goes faster but way too many no rpms.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 08:33 PM

I would have to admit that I haven't, not sure I want to, lol... The 32 inch tires will help mine a little.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2020 at 09:38 PM

Yes sir higher rpm shorter engine Life. Take mine red line tac 10500 rpm that is stressing the engine. At 4000 rpm long life my wr450 07 sold it 2014. 48,000 dirt miles never pulled the head off it . Always short shifted it of course on hill climb on it. If you drive your car at 65/70 mph v 125mph . You are stressing it shorter life.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2020 at 06:00 AM

Yes, higher RPM, higher piston feet of travel. More wear on everything.

John
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2020 at 08:39 AM

I'm guessing the higher RPM'S are harder on the machine, more heat and stress across the board. I think as with any machine it's finding some kind of balance and enjoying your rig.
When I built my jeep I added a second transfer case and low gearing for a final crawl ratio of 225-1. I watched guys with tall gearing just beating the snot of the their rigs, while bouncing off of the rev limiter. I can crawl along just off of idle if its real nasty. In that case the low RPM'S really are making a difference, I think it is less of an issue with new fuel injected motors? Do we have any engineers that can chime in?

[Edited on 1-14-2020 by advrider]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2020 at 09:42 AM

I did run the yxz on hiway up to 65mph just few seconds. With 8psi in the 8 ply knobby tire's sounded like two fire engines
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.