Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Scenic Tire Repairs
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 08:07 PM

Nice work, as a kid I worked in a tire shop. To seat the large skinny tractor tires we used starting fluid and a match to blow it on the rim.

Not a bad idea to pick up a couple of tubes for your size tire as a back up, most don't have the skill to install them but you would be just fine. You can get them to fit just about any size tire, I'm sure an online search would turn up something.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Not a bad idea to pick up a couple of tubes for your size tire as a back up, most don't have the skill to install them but you would be just fine. You can get them to fit just about any size tire, I'm sure an online search would turn up something.

Great idea. I'll find one...

-- Geoff

[Edited on 4-5-2020 by geoffff]

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 07:57 AM

I am impressed! Do you travel with one spare? I always have two on board. That being said: next trip gonna take along a tube, more tools, and cement.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
I am impressed! Do you travel with one spare? I always have two on board. That being said: next trip gonna take along a tube, more tools, and cement.

Yeah, just one spare. A second spare would take up a lot of space in my van, unless I also mount it outside on the back. A friend recommended I bring a 2nd spare tire without a 2nd spare wheel - I could then fill that tire with tools and things. But still it's a heavy awkward item to move around. I'll probably stick with one spare, especially now that I have my new repair skills :)

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 10:50 AM

There's always the roof!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 11:10 AM

2 spares means you have no clue why you have flat tires. Once you ask yourself - "why on earth do I have so many flat tires?", you might find answers that save you from carrying 2 spares and a repair shop with you. If "That's the way it is." is your answer, you should never leave pavement

Harald Pietschmann
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
2 spares means you have no clue why you have flat tires. Once you ask yourself - "why on earth do I have so many flat tires?", you might find answers that save you from carrying 2 spares and a repair shop with you. If "That's the way it is." is your answer, you should never leave pavement

Hah! Well, I am slowly learning... And trying not to make the same mistake twice.

I have learned that tires are not impervious to cactus.
I have learned that cornering hard in washes when aired way down isn't a good idea.
I have learned that being sloppy about driving where I cannot see (into the bushes) can lead to blowing two tires at once on the same rock.

Mostly it's about learning I'm not invincible out there - even when I'm tired and impatient at the end of the day.

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Hah! Well, I am slowly learning... And trying not to make the same mistake twice.

I have learned that tires are not impervious to cactus.

I have learned that cornering hard in washes when aired way down isn't a good idea.
I have learned that being sloppy about driving where I cannot see (into the bushes) can lead to blowing two tires at once on the same rock.

Mostly it's about learning I'm not invincible out there - even when I'm tired and impatient at the end of the day.

-- Geoff

Everybody makes a mistake (except Harold) when your driving in the bush. No big deal. That is how we all get better and push the envelope a little more next time out.

I am pretty sure Harold would sheet his pants meeting a loaded logging truck on a 28% grade north of the 49 th 😎
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 04:33 PM

Great job Geoff. I carry two spares with me and I also carry a tube that fits the tire. I figure I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 05:06 PM

I have gotten my share of flats with my Tacomas... Originally, it was my refusal to air down on dirt roads (I only aired down for sand). Once I dropped from 30-ish to 20 psi, the sharp rocks on Baja's graded roads stopped piercing the rubber... as easily.

I also (more-often) run less expensive tires (Hankook DynaPros, Destiny Dakotas). So, many here will say you have to spend $200+/ tire... to get that beefy name-brand (BFG usually)!

I did run Cooper Discoverer AT and Toyo Open Country AT on my second Tacoma, both were fine... I never had luck with BFG.
The one set of expensive 3-ply sidewall tires I ran were Cooper Discoverer STT... They were LOUD on the highway and terrible in the sand ("Gravediggers" my wife called them). They got the most looks as an aggressive mud-terrain tire and no flats... but I couldn't wait to replace them after a while.

I have run Hankook DynaPro ATM on two separate occasions. All my Baja Bound trips were on them 2016-2018. They are my favorite tire, so far... Quiet on the highway, terrific in sand, great in mud and snow, and they are wearing nicely...

[Edited on 4-11-2020 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 03:28 AM

They better be DK cause I'm holding you to it. As soon as the Michelin street tires on my SUV wear out I'm putting Hankook DynaPro ATM on it. I already have a 2nd spare with it on, just waiting. The problem is the Michelins don't want to wear out.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 07:06 AM

What did you get (SUV)? I think I only know your Tacoma and GMC truck, yes? Maybe I recall you got a 4Runner???

There are two levels of Hankook DynaPro ATM, P-metric and LT. I have the cheaper P-metrics.

I run 265/75-16 (32") which is 1" taller than stock for my Tacoma (265/70-16). There is no rub, I get 1/2" more ground clearance, and the speedometer reads accurately! However, the odometer is 4% slow so I need to do math when I make my road logs... But, on dirt roads, lowering the pressure corrects the odometer, glory be!

[Edited on 8-21-2022 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 07:15 AM

Here is the Definity Dakota (made by Cooper for Pep Boys):

Bedman recommended them... I ran them on two occasions, very cheap, quiet running, good in sand where I do most of my four-wheeling... BUT they do NOT last long at all... 25,000 miles before the tread wasn't strong enough to resist flats.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-11-2020 at 02:32 PM

Mexico is where I learned how to remount tubeless tires con gasolina (verde) about a table spoon for a standard pickup tire! Also to do a single pass with PVC pipe cement on the seal area of the rim prior to mounting. I’ve run Yokohama Tires in Mexico with good results for a long time.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.